Burning Lips & Area Around Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimo358

Apr 1, 2013
Florida
Well... I've been vaping for over a month now and have run into quite the problem. It seems that any flavored e liquids, blueberry, strawberry, etc.. cause my mouth (lips, tongue, throat) and the area around my mouth (above upper lip and below lower lip) to be greatly irritated with a burning sensation. I've tried full PG mixes, full VG mixes, 50/50 and organic mixes from Virgin Vapors. It turns out that I am only able to vape menthol liquids, which isn't so bad because I used to smoke menthol cigs. I wish I could vape other liquids though as there are a plethora of flavors from other companys that I have enjoyed but they all irritate my skin. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, was there anything you did to remedy it? Thanks for any replies.

Just to cover what's already been brought up and answered for any other kind souls who might have an idea of what my issue could be:

-I'm using an ego-c twist and kanger protank.
-I drink ~2 liters of water a day
-The same burning / irritated feeling happens using plastic drip tips as well
-I'm not getting any of the liquid on my skin or around my mouth
-Can vape menthol fine but flavors (blueberry, strawberry, citrus) are a no go

I'm starting to think it is from the sweeteners in the liquids.

Last edited:

ihsjepsen

Dec 27, 2012
SE Michigan
Sounds like you have eliminated all of the possible allergies that can result from PG. I had a similar problem about 1 month into vaping and realized that I was getting dehydrated. Once I started drinking lots of water and using Burt's Bee's on my lips the problem went away. It is funny to me that you can only vape menthol liquid, I have the opposite problem, vaping menthol causes my throat to get irritated. I have also found that most of the liquids that I buy and most of the recipes I find have too much flavoring in the mix. To me lower flavoring is a more pleasant vape. Try the water!

kbalz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
Kentucky Florence Y'All
I know some people are allergic to pg , but it sounds like its 100% vg does it to you as well. Maybe its something in the fruity flavors. Have you tried different juices besides fruity like coffee or desert bakery flavors. Also maybe it could be the metal tip on protank that your allergic to. Have you tried something with a plastic, glass or porcelain tip ?

Optimo358

Apr 1, 2013
Florida
I know some people are allergic to pg , but it sounds like its 100% vg does it to you as well. Maybe its something in the fruity flavors. Have you tried different juices besides fruity like coffee or desert bakery flavors. Also maybe it could be the metal tip on protank that your allergic to. Have you tried something with a plastic, glass or porcelain tip ?

Yes, I started off with CE4 clearomizers with the plastic tip and ran into the same issue. I have tried mint chocolate chip, chocolate chip and wisconsin frost from Johnson Creek which all irritated my skin. I have tried a french vanilla from apollo e cigs which didn't seem to bother me but it didn't taste all that great, definitely not something I would buy again. I have not tried coffee or bakery flavors. I might give them a whirl. Thanks for that suggestion.

kbalz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
Kentucky Florence Y'All
The cleanest/purest juice I have found is from heathers heavenly vapes.highly recommend trying her juice .

n
Yes, I started off with CE4 clearomizers with the plastic tip and ran into the same issue. I have tried mint chocolate chip, chocolate chip and wisconsin frost from Johnson Creek which all irritated my skin. I have tried a french vanilla from apollo e cigs which didn't seem to bother me but it didn't taste all that great, definitely not something I would buy again. I have not tried coffee or bakery flavors. I might give them a whirl. Thanks for that suggestion.[/QUOT

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I had the exact same issues and it turned out I was sensitive to the sweetener Etyhl Maltol- used to sweeten juice. Soreness in the oral area and some mouth ulcers/ cankers. Stopped using it and healed within a few days. Gave the juice (watermelon) to a friend and he vaped it without issue.
Alternative sweeteners are sucralose or SteviaClear Liquid 2oz-Buy Wisdom

Optimo358

Apr 1, 2013
Florida
I had the exact same issues and it turned out I was sensitive to the sweetener Etyhl Maltol- used to sweeten juice. Soreness in the oral area and some mouth ulcers/ cankers. Stopped using it and healed within a few days. Gave the juice (watermelon) to a friend and he vaped it without issue.
Alternative sweeteners are sucralose or SteviaClear Liquid 2oz-Buy Wisdom

Thanks for the info. Could you recommend me some vendors that you use that use alternate sweeteners or are you just vaping non-sweet stuff?

upsetter21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Alameda, CA
I developed a mouth ulcer after heavy vaping VooDoo Kitty (Timeless Vapor). Basically, got a new MOD, RBA, Kick & a bulk bottle of the juice. Was so elated by the kicks performance, the MOD beauty, & my latest hybrid mesh&cotton wick-hybrid. The VooDoo Kitty is awesome also (if you like black licorice). Also went from 25mg nic to 16mg. Oh and I'm off work due to an injury.

So... perfect storm that led to vaping constant for about 4hrs/day minimum for a week. Developed a sore (yuck!) and it was quite painful. Don't know for sure the cause, but it seemed to get better pretty fast once I stopped sucking the kitty all day. Speculating again, I'm thinking the ethyl maltol may have something to do with it.

upsetter21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Alameda, CA
Here's what allergy adviser says about ethyl maltol (funny no allergen, just not OK for babies):

Substance Info: (and synonyms)
Ethyl maltol

Background Info:

Functional alternative to maltol. Small amounts added to a food product allow a reduction of sugar without a change in the taste of sweetness. Manufactured from maltol. May be used with Saccharine to reduce the bitter after-taste.

Allergens/Function:

Flavouring agent. Flavour enhancer.

Adverse Reactions:

IGE AND IMMUNE:
Unknown or Nil

NON IMMUNE:
Nil.

Banned in some countries from use in foods intended for babies and young children.

Information supplied from an abridged section of:
Allergy Advisor - Zing Solutions
Allergy Advisor - Allergy and Intolerance Software for diagnosis and management
© zingsolutions.com 1998

Optimo358

Apr 1, 2013
Florida
Someone mentioned the possibility that you may be allergic to the metal drip tip. This is a very real possibility. Stainless steel contains a significant amount of Nickel and you can be allergic to it. The "quality" of metals coming from China are not always up to standards. I'd try a plastic or glass drip tip.

Thanks for the suggestion but I started off using a plastic drip tip and had the same problem. I can vape a menthol all day out of the kanger and it not cause any problems, it's only when using a flavored liquid.

Perhaps it`s the heat? Try lowering the voltage..

Tried that as well. I may just be relegated to vaping only menthol... :(

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

omgpwny

Apr 22, 2013
Texas, USA
etsy.com
If a menthol liquid, which ostensibly has no sweeteners in it whatsoever, causes you no issues, yet every sweetened liquid does, I'm going to bet that it does, indeed, have to do with the sweetener(s) in the liquids you're using. Are you getting all of your sweet liquids from the same supplier? What sweetener(s) do they use to make their liquids? Try to find that out if you don't already know, then find another supplier to try. Find out what sweetener(s) they use, ensure that they don't use the same ones as the other supplier, and try a sweet juice from them. If the problem is gone, then you probably have your answer. If not, then it's likely something else.

The only other ideas I could offer would be that perhaps when you're vaping the sweeter liquids, you're vaping more than you are on the menthols, causing you to get more nicotine. Getting more nicotine than you're able to tolerate well can cause your lips and mouth to experience discomfort. It can also cause the same numbness, burning, tingling, and parasthesia in your extremities (fingertips, toes), due to blood flow restriction. It's more common in analog smokers due to the carbon monoxide in cigarettes, but nicotine can cause the effect as well. Also, any prescription medications that you're on may interact negatively with certain chemicals that can be in e-liquids, aside from just the nicotine, so be aware of that possibility. While you are already drinking a fair amount of water everyday, depending on how much nicotine you're consuming, how much caffeine you're consuming, and any other medications you may be taking, your sodium consumption, and many other dietary factors, you may need to increase your water, magnesium, or potassium intake. Might be worth hitting the doctor's office if you can't nail it down on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread