Button magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I bought an hcigar Nemesis from vape Royalty, paid extra for the magnets, and they turned out to be far too weak. They would not even keep the switch from closing with no atty on the mech or battery in it. Not good enough at all. So I took the advice of some on these forums, and ordered a pair of magnets from Fat Daddy. They got here today. They are stronger than the first magnets, but still too weak.

With an RSST on it and an 18650 battery in it the mech fires standing up with those magnets in it. Meh.....

I wrote the supplier:

Hey Dennis,

I got the magnets I ordered from you today, which I ordered because the ones I got from Vape Royalty were far too weak. The ones I got from you today are also too weak, and will not keep my hcigar Nemesis from firing when standing up with an RSST on it and a battery in it.

I'm disappointed.

Fat Daddy's web page says:

Comes with 2 pcs of industrial neodymium magnets. These are not your cheap fridge magnets. You can keep your mod standing up with these magnets!!!

Not giving up on making that button work the way I wanted I put the original springs back in it, between the magnets. This worked very well. Now the button push is harder, and the mech stands there without wobbling around, and does not fire without the locking ring engaged. That's what I wanted it to do. I had hoped to be able to do that just with the magnets, as advertised, but I guess it worked out.

Last edited:

eastwest

Mar 11, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I'm going through the same thing. Also bought a nemesis from Vaperoyalty along with the magnets. Put the magnets in and same problem, they're not strong enough to prevent the button from being pressed standing up. There was a similar thread this past week with this same issue and someone posted a link to these magnets for $5 and said they work good. Nemesis Mod Switch Magnet Upgrade Set of 2 Strong Magnets 17mm x 2mm Nemesis | eBay

I haven't bought them yet but thinking to do so. Hopefully other members have some suggestions.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I'm going through the same thing. Also bought a nemesis from Vaperoyalty along with the magnets. Put the magnets in and same problem, they're not strong enough to prevent the button from being pressed standing up.

Yup, Vape Royalty needs to do something about those magnets, and I would encourage you tell them about the issue. I have, and they have not responded beyond the standard post-purchase email offering me the chance to review my recently purchased product on their site. I have no problem with the mech as it now sits, but those magnets were pretty sorry stuff, and they charge extra for them. They are not worth it. In fact they are not worth anything. I tossed them.

I'm quite sure there are lots of bogus magnets out there, and after this I'm not willing to gamble on another set, but do let me know if you find a decent set that works for you.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I have no first-hand experience with these however I have read of others using these magnets with their Nemesis. This seller has a 99.4% rating on ebay with 5000+ sales. In the original "buy it now" listing I had bookmarked he had sold 160 of these. That listing is over but he has a new one. He also has magnet kits for other mech mods.

You can look at his feedback and see what people are saying.

Nemesis Mod Switch Magnet Upgrade - Set of 2 Strong Magnets 17mm x 2mm Nemesis

Last edited:

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I bought a second-hand Hcigar Nemesis with magnets of unknown origin in it that are so strong I hate using it.

My FT Nemesis (Every bit as nice as the HCigar in case you were wondering) has the cheap 98 cent FT magnets in it and the switch is a nice easy press that's smooth as silk.

It's not a problem that it has a light press though.....Because both of the mods came equipped with locking rings, which I have found work fantastic for setting the mod down, not to mention, the safe way to set the mod down.

TDC123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2014
The Blue Grass State, USA
I have those 2mm thick magnets sitting here, two pairs to be precise. Neither pair will function in either of my two Hcigar Nemesis clones. There simply isn't enough room for them in the switch. The only way to make them possibly work is to back the pin out and I just don't trust that.

I would really like to know how someone got those magnets to work.

Submaniac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Anaheim
I have those 2mm thick magnets sitting here, two pairs to be precise. Neither pair will function in either of my two Hcigar Nemesis clones. There simply isn't enough room for them in the switch. The only way to make them possibly work is to back the pin out and I just don't trust that.

I would really like to know how someone got those magnets to work.

What's wrong with loosening the bottom pin? I mean the pin is made to be adjustable to battery size. I have 2mm magnets (4mm) total in my actual nemesis and they work fine (if you loosen up the bottom pin):

magnets1_zpsfcb7d943.jpg

And it won't fire even with the weight of a kayfun, kick, and battery. For me it's a safety issue more than anything else. I have accidentally put down the nemesis without lock ring on, or I have had it go off in my pocket. Atty gets super hot, and I worry about risk of battery explosion. With really strong magnets, you don't have to worry about accidentally firing it.

TDC123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2014
An update to my post above...

If you read the feedback to this particular ebay vendor you get a mix of people who thought the 2 mm thick magnets worked great and were happy as well as those who complained that they wouldn't fit in the switch. It will work if you back out the contact pin a turn or two. A nice workable solution would be a slightly longer contact screw. It wouldn't take much either. Another option would be some kind of loctite but that inteferes with contact between the pin and the brass ring it threads into. Perhap a small conductive dowel of some kind could be dropped down into the brass ring so the pin would have something to bottom out against.

These are very strong magnets and the nemesis will certainly stand up on it's own without the locking ring engaged with no problem. It is a bit of long and stiff throw. I personally like it. If you had smaller weaker hands than mine though it may be uncomfortable.

I have some of those longer positive and negative screw pins on the way from fatdaddy that can shorten the throw of the switch. I will report back here how those affect the switch. I really like these very strong magnets. Fiddling with that lock ring can get tedious.

Last edited:

TDC123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2014
What's wrong with loosening the bottom pin? I mean the pin is made to be adjustable to battery size. I have 2mm magnets (4mm) total in my actual nemesis and they work fine (if you loosen up the bottom pin):

And it won't fire even with the weight of a kayfun, kick, and battery. For me it's a safety issue more than anything else. I have accidentally put down the nemesis without lock ring on, or I have had it go off in my pocket. Atty gets super hot, and I worry about risk of battery explosion. With really strong magnets, you don't have to worry about accidentally firing it.

Actually that pin is supposedly not intended to be adjustable. The top pin is adjustable to your atomizer but the bottom one is supposed to be snug. But where people seem to be having issues when using the bottom pin as an adjustable pin would be when they use it to get the Nemesis to fire 18650's with the smallest beauty/kick/nipple top battery ring in place. I don't know if having it backed out a turn or so will affect voltage drop. I'm not concerned enough with that kind of thing to bother measuring it. With these strong magnets in place I don't think the pin will be working itself out like it does when people simply extend it to compensate for the presence of that ring. Those magnets put a lot of pressure on on the pin. That pin has worked itself out when used incorrectly to the point that the Nemesis was unknowingly put into a constant autofire...bad news.

Some way to tightly snug down that pin and also have it secuely fastened into position would be a bit safer.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Weird.. my two Fatdaddy magnets work fine on HCigar Nemmy, unlock with Kayfun lite ...since you have multiple magnets, can you try three as somebody suggested...

Well I tossed the first set that I got from Vape Royalty, they were so very weak I thought them useless. Now I wish I hadn't, but it's working good with the springs between the magnets.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I hate to be "That Guy".......but that's what a locking ring is for. :/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes, we all know what the locking ring is for, thankyouverymuch, and the point is that we don't want to have to fuss with it every time we pick up the mech to vape on it and set it down again. When you are sitting and vaping at your desk that's just too much bother all the time. It's why so many of us want to be able to sit it down without it firing and without having to spin down that locking ring every time, and then spin it up again to vape, EVERY TIME, and those who supply the magnets are well aware of this.

ykalon

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2013
Sweden
Yes, we all know what the locking ring is for, thankyouverymuch, and the point is that we don't want to have to fuss with it every time we pick up the mech to vape on it and set it down again. When you are sitting and vaping at your desk that's just too much bother all the time. It's why so many of us want to be able to sit it down without it firing and without having to spin down that locking ring every time, and then spin it up again to vape, EVERY TIME, and those who supply the magnets are well aware of this.

The nemesis magnet upgrade is not intended to fix the "issue" of the mod firing whilst standing. It's only supposed to upgrade the switch from spring to magnet, making the throw smoother and more durable... IF they are strong enough to prevent the mod from firing that's just a bonus. Vape royalty don't mention anything about the magnets being strong enough for that. They just state what the magnets in fact are intended to do.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
The nemesis magnet upgrade is not intended to fix the "issue" of the mod firing whilst standing. .

Then why does Fat Daddy say it will fix that?

From his website:

Comes with 2 pcs of industrial neodymium magnets. These are not your cheap fridge magnets. You can keep your mod standing up with these magnets!!!

His is not the only site that makes this claim, so suppliers are quite aware that's what we want, and they promise that, and do not deliver that I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread