CDC looking for exsmokers who were dual users of e-cigs, smokeless tobacco or cigars and were diagnosed with serious health condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The CDC posted an announcement today looking for exsmokers who were dual users of e-cigs, smokeless tobacco or cigars and were diagnosed with serious health condition (but not exsmokers whose health improved after switching to e-cigs or smokeless) to participate in future CDC propaganda/lobbying campaign to demonize e-cigs, smokeless, cigars and dual use.
CDC is Looking for Ex-Smokers for New TIPS campaign

I can already see a future TV ad sponsored by CDC (and paid for by US taxpayers) featuring someone who used e-cigs (while still smoking) and who was later diagnosed with a disease to falsely insinuate that vaping caused the disease.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
u1WWqW6nSk-mlfEOGatkpA2.gif

.. at a loss for words...

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Jeez!

images

Another one of those "studies" whose purpose is clear from the very beginning?

No, I am not gonna say what I would like to say about that. Not because I cannot but because I do not wish to make work for the mods. Because what I would like to say about this horrendous waste of taxpayers money to "prove" a pre-determined "conclusion" would not... be suitable for a nice forum.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

Hmmm... Click!

"In order to qualify for this project, you must be:

*Willing to have your doctor sign a legal statement verifying that smoking caused or contributed to your health condition.

"legal statement"? What the hell is that? The participant may be willing, but their Doctor? Maybe not so much...

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
I can see where this is going.

The CDC is looking for dual users so they can justify imposing burdensome regulation that amounts to prohibition in order to protect their corporate BP paymasters.

Why won't the CDC accept vapers who quit smoking and whose health has improved because of e-cigs? Are the afraid we might be right in that vaping actually saves lives? That the facts don't fit the BP narrative about vaping? Sounds like some sneaky propaganda disguised as research to me. :sneaky:

Last edited:

Sundodger

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2013
All 57 States
EVERYONE needs to link this in a message to their Senators and Representatives and ask them to find out just what the (self moderated) kind of study is this? A predetermined outcome is NOT a study.This whole CDC, FDA and the rest of the alphabet money grabbers needs to be looked at real hard by our elected officials, and if they don't do anything then they need to be voted OUT.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
EVERYONE needs to link this in a message to their Senators and Representatives and as them to find out just what the (self moderated) kind of study is this? A predetermined outcome is NOT a study.This whole CDC, FDA and the rest of the alphabet money grabbers needs to be looked at real hard by our elected officials, and if they don't do anything then they need to be voted OUT.

Good idea Sundodger. Just sent off an email to Sen. Sherrod Brown with the link. "Do you condone this type of 'deck stacking' by the CDC in order to promote their fear mongering campaign against devices that could save 100's of thousands of lives??"

cmknight

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2013
China
There's an email address at the bottom of the advertisement. Send them an email. I did:

"To whom it may concern,

Quote from your advertisement:

---For at least a year, used e-cigarettes or smokeless tobacco while continuing to smoke some cigarettes (age 20-60); and
---Thought using e-cigarettes or smokeless tobacco to cut back on some cigarettes would be good for your health; and
---Despite cutting back, you were later diagnosed with a serious health condition.

I am especially interested in the last bullet point. Did you include this so that, in the future, you can spread the lie that e-cigarettes caused the serious health condition?

Why this vilification regarding e- cigs? Propylene Glycol ... approved and rated as GRAS by the FDA (also, an anti-virulent). Vegetable glycerin, also approved and rated as GRAS by the FDA. FDA approved flavourings, too. All of the above approved by the FDA for inhalation. Don't believe me? Go to a restaurant and breathe in the kitchen. Nicotine ... the exact same nicotine which is used in FDA approved NRT's. The exact same nicotine that is used to treat Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and a host of other maladies. The exact same nicotine that is found in vegetables from the Solaceae family.

I am now 50 years old. I smoked for 39 years. When I quit and made the switch to a Personal Vaporizer with 18 mg/ml of nicotine, I was smoking 2 1/2 packs a day. I had COPD. I couldn't walk up three flights of stairs without stopping for breathe. I was constantly sick (I work in a university environment). Now, a year later, I no longer have COPD. I can run up the seven fights of stairs to my apartment, and, I have only had one cold. Recently, I had a medical, including a chest x-ray. The doctor said my lungs were clean.

My testimony is no different than millions of other peoples' testimonies around the world.

The CDC, FDA, WHO, and Cancer & Lung institutes around the world need to get their collective heads out of their collective butts, and start looking at these devices for what they truly are, NOT what they may or may not be.

They are NOT marketed towards children. They are adult devices marketed at adults. We like flavours, too (what do you think keeps reminding us of the vile taste of cigarettes?). The CDC needs to stop its campaign of lies about poisonings, as well. There were more poisonings from toothpaste in the last year, than there were from electronic cigarette liquids. Why not start a campaign about safe toothpaste storage? Or, how about restarting the safety campaigns from the '70's and '80's regarding safe storage of liquids in the home and garage? Or, even better ... how about running advertisements on proper parenting skills, so that parents don't leave crap out that kids can stick in their mouths?

Thank you,

Chris Knight"

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
It appears that there are three distinct types of applicants, although the use of conjunctions and formatting is sloppy at best. And what's the deal with Asian descent (and does it apply to all three categories?). Why the focus on those two pathologies in category #1, anyway?

That web page looks as if was intended to appeal to immigrants, it's the kind of style and/or formatting that you might expect see on a flyer in in an urban area populated by a specific ethnic or national group of newcomers. Either that, or the folks who made it just don't have any sense of how to design a web page. (Seems unlikely given all the millions that the CDC has to blow on something like this.)

It'll be interesting to see what distribution channels they use. Why not send it off to clinicians? Or get BP to do that?

There's more going on here than meets the (or at least my) eye.

darkcelestialillumination

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Florida, United States

Hmmm... Click!

*Willing to have your doctor sign a legal statement verifying that smoking caused or contributed to your health condition.

"legal statement"? What the hell is that? The participant may be willing, but their Doctor? Maybe not so much...

A lot of people including doctors say that smoking is the cause or a contributing factor in most all disease. Smoking became the ultimate evil blamed for really too much.

Roger_Lafayette-And what's the deal with Asian descent (and does it apply to all three categories?).

Maybe it's for diversity and they've already got everyone else.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I'm surprised the FCC doesn't require the CDC to post a disclaimer with all these TIPS public service announcements: "The person appearing in this announcement was paid for his participation." Also: "A doctor has stated that smoking caused this person's condition. The accuracy of this statement has not been verified."

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I'm surprised the FCC doesn't require the CDC to post a disclaimer with all these TIPS public service announcements: "The person appearing in this announcement was paid for his participation." Also: "A doctor has stated that smoking caused this person's condition. The accuracy of this statement has not been verified."

Good point. They'd never allow certain companies (BT, eg.) to do that.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
CDC has probably already drafted the scripts for new ads bashing e-cigs, smokeless tobacco, cigars, and dual use, and is now looking for real people who fit the roles to serve as actors.

Here's the basic script for a 30 second ad

"My name is ... ... and I (got lung cancer, had a heart attack, had a stroke, etc.) after using (e-cigs, smokeless tobacco, cigars) because I was deceived by tobacco industry advertisements claiming the product was a safe alternative to cigarettes.

Big Tobacco is also target marketing these addictive and deadly products to children with flavors like bubble gum and candy, and these products are also poisoning little children.

That's why I support FDA regulations to protect our children and public health from this new tobacco menace."

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
A lot of people including doctors say that smoking is the cause or a contributing factor in most all disease. Smoking became the ultimate evil blamed for really too much.

You obviously missed the point.

"A lot of people... say." is all the bull crap on the internet and broadcast (passing as) news right now. What "a lot of people... say" - and are willing to be legally bound and committed to saying indefinitely once it's been "legally statement"-ized in writing is something else. In most cases those types of statements would be very handy in litigation - something the average MD is already going out of their way to avoid. You may have a handful of zealous ANTZ MD's out there who are willing to sign or say anything. Then you have the real world Doctor's who aren't about to "legal"ly commit themselves on paper to blanket "statement"s they sure as hell don't need to. Doctors - and the Hospitals they work in - have legal departments for a reason.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
You obviously missed the point.

"A lot of people... say." is all the bull crap on the internet and broadcast (passing as) news right now. What "a lot of people... say" - and are willing to be legally bound and committed to saying indefinitely once it's been "legally statement"-ized in writing is something else. In most cases those types of statements would be very handy in litigation - something the average MD is already going out of their way to avoid. You may have a handful of zealous ANTZ MD's out there who are willing to sign or say anything. Then you have the real world Doctor's who aren't about to "legal"ly commit themselves on paper to blanket "statement"s they sure as hell don't need to. Doctors - and the Hospitals they work in - have legal departments for a reason.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the CDC (or FDA or NIH) have a roster of such rent-a-doctors available for referral who will be happy to sign such affidavits.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az

Hmmm... Click!

Quote from your advertisement:

---For at least a year, used e-cigarettes or smokeless tobacco while continuing to smoke some cigarettes (age 20-60); and
---Thought using e-cigarettes or smokeless tobacco to cut back on some cigarettes would be good for your health; and
---Despite cutting back, you were later diagnosed with a serious health condition.

I can see one major flaw - there is no control group.

A control group is (basically) what happens when someone quits cold turkey / what happens to a 'normal' person who does do ..... (whatever the study is about). Without any kind of a control group the study is not valid. I'd like to hear from one of ECF's resident scientist's on this.

All anyone has to do is google "smoker's flu", "smoker's cold", or "why do I feel worse now that I'm not smoking" or something to that effect and there will be responses from all over. Smoking masks illness and it's not uncommon that quitting unmasks those illness'. This would include lung diseases like COPD which are often attributed to smoking. Ecig/dual use is not required, only quitting smoking is and that we already know.

So this study won't prove anything beyond the fact that someone can pay their bills with grant money.

I think this should be entered into the "ANTZ Hall of Fame" for a stupid tricks award.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread