Not open for further replies.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Yes nasty juice aroma
I am not picky I am just getting dry hits :(
Dry hits dosent necessarily means the cotton is done, could be the rta dosen't wick fast enough and imho i doubt any juice would make you change cotton after 15 mls.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Dry hits dosent necessarily means the cotton is done, could be the rta dosen't wick fast enough and imho i doubt any juice would make you change cotton after 15 mls.
I guess it depends on the definition of the word “make”. That’s about how often I change my cotton. This is not to say that I do it because the device not longer functions, it merely no longer functions up to the standard I prefer. COULD I vape it for twice that long? Probably. I just wouldn’t like it. Cotton is cheap and easy to replace. So I do. If I look in my chamber and it’s a black nasty mess in there I clean it out. With some juices this means daily. With others not so much.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is a duplicate post I think. The answer remains the same. It varies a lot, depending on atty, juice, and personal preference. An occasional MTL vaper vaping a non crusty juice? Sure. A week is totally reasonable. Longer even. Me I change my wick every one or two days depending on what I’m vaping. I like a cleaner taste though.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
As stated before, this is really both subjective AND variable depending on the juice, the cotton, the rta, the build and the wattage.

However, a "dry hit", to me, is a hit that burns the cotton. If you're burning the cotton, your tank was empty, OR you wicking was so tight that liquid was not getting to the coils.

Similar to a dry hit is the hit one gets off of a carbon crusted coils. This often happens with very sweet juices. Only solution is to switch juices.

Some of my builds see in excess of 60ml between changes. These are juices with little or no sweetener. Some barely make it to 30ml. These are sweet juices. Rarely do I taste burnt cotton.

My advice would be to check your wicking to ensure that it's not too tight, and check your juice to make sure it's not too sweet.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I like to switch out a wick each time the tank empties. But, most of the time i simply can't be bothered. So, i found that after about two and a half tanks (11 mil - ish) i start getting bad tasting vapour. I put that down to the wick getting gunged up. True, clearer liquids do allow the wick to last longer though. Switching out a wick is routine and is the only real maintenance i do.........apart from cleaning !.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Sweet nasty juice? Sure, 15 ml is quite possible, especially if you're picky. It comes down to the juice, the build, the tank, and most important you. There really is no single right answer on this.
This. I use mostly sweet gooey juices, and usually I get 3-4 days between cotton changes. But sometimes 15-20 mls, other times a full week. And sometimes it seems more like the coil is funky rather than the cotton.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hello.

I just wanted to ask how frequent do you change cotton in your Rta

I have to change every 10-15 ml of juice I am using sweet Malaysian nasty juice and mixing 20% and generally other Malaysian juices

Is this normal ?

I asking because I hear sometimes that people change cotton once a week or so
I'm the exception on this - I've been told I'm crazy, wasteful, and it serves no purpose to change as often as I do. But like @bombastinator , I'm picky. Myself, I rarely get past 10 ml, regardless of the juice. My NETs usually around 8 ml is absolute max. Unflavored, maybe 10-12. Even though the unflavored doesn't foul the coil & wick, it's a much more delicate flavor, so I notice the difference pretty quick.

You don't say what rta you use, coil material or wattage. But chain vaping at high temps can accelerate the degradation process. And like Shawn said, you're probably not getting a true dry hit due to this. But it is true that your wick is essentially "filtering" your juice, and will eventually have enough dissolved solids to slow the transfer of liquid. And when you get carmelized buildup in the cotton inside of the coil, it won't transfer much liquid to the coil outer surface, so your vape may not be dry, but certainly won't be as saturated.

And some coil material does better after dry firing than others. My SS even after dry-firing and rewicking never tastes as good as new to me, so I almost always replace the coil. And the surface after dry firing is not as smooth as new, so it builds up even quicker.

But hey- rebuilding is incredibly cheap, so if you can taste the difference & don't like it, rebuild.

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
I swap out my muji cotton about every other day. While doing this I also clean and dry burn the coil. I vape plain ole vg/pg base so no flavorings to muck anything up....

I guess I vape about 10-15ml per day so that amounts to changing the cotton about every 20-30ml of juice..

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
That's the advantage to your own coil. With a drop in you'll try to maximize longevity for economics. With an rta/rda it's just your time.

I remember picking up a tank I hadn't rewicked in a while and was sitting around untouched for about a week. Took a draw and got a point burn on my tongue like a spitty tank. Except the liquid spit heat usually goes away after a second. Spit back is also usually not hard. This was. It was essentially crusty stuff off the dirty coil I launched into my mouth. Truly a disgusting moment in my history of vaping and one totally self inflicted by laziness.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm the exception on this - I've been told I'm crazy, wasteful, and it serves no purpose to change as often as I do. But like @bombastinator , I'm picky. Myself, I rarely get past 10 ml, regardless of the juice. My NETs usually around 8 ml is absolute max. Unflavored, maybe 10-12. Even though the unflavored doesn't foul the coil & wick, it's a much more delicate flavor, so I notice the difference pretty quick.

And some coil material does better after dry firing than others. My SS even after dry-firing and rewicking never tastes as good as new to me, so I almost always replace the coil. And the surface after dry firing is not as smooth as new, so it builds up even quicker.

But hey- rebuilding is incredibly cheap, so if you can taste the difference & don't like it, rebuild.

I'm another exception - absolutely ocd about wicking and coils. Rewick every 10-15ml (mtl vaper at 15watts) and also like the brewdawg ^^ - usually wrap and install a new coil at the same time.

I do vape sweeter (diy) ejuice AND I chainvape the same RTA (as it's my fave ;))

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I just wanted to ask how frequent do you change cotton in your Rta

As soon as it begins to look dirty. Really. Also, don't forget the coil--the crud that builds up on the coil needs to be dealt with also. You can quickly dry burn (on lower wattage), rinse, dry and rewick. Fresh wick in a dirty coil won't do you any good.

Just don't dry burn Ti coils.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I am not picky I am just getting dry hits :(

Dry hits means you have wicking issues. Can be several things--too much wicking material, wick tails not cut/positioned correctly, thick eliquids. Check your build.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread