Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Yeah, it was an old Netgear "professional", non managed, switch. It was/is, actually, a decent switch just kind of ancient. The chassis was not really "rack width" but has ears that extend the width to fit a rack. The new one is full width rack mountable, also with ears, but sits on my desk. It's not managed either, but for a simple home network it should work out fine. (saving some bucks 'cause a managed switch is about $100 more.) I left it on the desk rather than putting it on a shelf to avoid having to re-cable a lot of stuff.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Thanks for the info. What does he mean by "Though, if you're 10 years old in a competitive game and reveal this fact, you will probably get owned." That sounds very weird.

All the other info I knew from my research. I'm not sure if this 12-year-old boy uses Steam or not, though I do know he's into video games. I just don't know which ones.

Last lesson with his little sister, one of her vocab words was "mob" and she told me that was used in Minecraft, and not the way I've always known, as an unruly crowd. I did learn the gaming usage, though, in my Steam travels. In fact, I learned a lot about gaming, though I can't imagine what use my new knowledge will be to me.
    It means he'd get his feeling hurt because people in the game world are quite mean. They'd distract him with insults and make him lose the game, then they'd insult him worse because he lost.

I am a huge gamer myself but I will not play online games because of the fact that people are so smart nowadays they can hack into your computer and pinpoint where you live. Lots of bad things can happen just from playing an online game.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Thanks for the definition link, Trit. Well, if he can't play with the big boys, then he'll have to settle for other games. That's not so bad, is it? I'll have to ask him if he uses Steam and how he fares in group games, if he does participate in them.

I'm definitely of the solitaire card game ilk.
    Playing Mah-Jong against myself is always encouraging.

I love playing Mahjong and solitaire. Good little games to just take your mind away from stuff. :):)

wvducklady

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 23, 2013
    US
    A good friend was in an auto accident a few years ago, had some spinal fusion. Is on meds for pain, and has had problems with people finding out and wanting/stealing them. He has been having problems lately, went in for an MRI yesterday, but figures it wasn't much use, since they strongly discourage second surgeries because of scar tissue.

I am about his best friend because I can work around his quirkiness because he also had a head injury.
    Im glad he has you as a friend :)
    I cannot stand when people steal, and definitely when they steal other people's medication. Its ridiculous!

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
    Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

Hubby did manage to work on my truck yesterday. He got the tranny put back together and installed into the truck. He still has to put the cross frame and some other stuff back on the truck but hopefully he will do that next weekend.

My client cancelled today. I do have to make some phone calls and do some weeding. I'm also going to make split pea soup.

You are in my thoughts, Raven. Thanks for updating us Terry.

Last edited:

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 20, 2009
    Raven's Haven, Indiana
    Forgive me if I don't backread. Only have so much energy ...

Home from Hospital

I haven't mentioned anything here because I haven't really been able until now. Spent 9 days in the hospital. Thomas took me basically kicking and screaming because I didn't think I needed to go. I had a flu of some sort which kicked off a right side MS exacerbation. Turns out I was in complete renal failure too. Thomas saved my life. It's just a simple fact.

Hospitals don't seem to understand when I tell them that I can't have narcotic painkillers. They don't get it. First thing they did was give me a narcotic. And then another. And then another. Tramadol should be removed from the market. Just sayin'. I became unresponsive and then comatose. A sternum rub wouldn't bring me back nor shaking. It took Narcan to bring me back. One of the nurses noted in my chart that I should never, ever have Tramadol again because of the reaction. The damned doctor did it again in spite of that! Now I have virtually no use of my right hand. I am right-handed. Damnit.

I don't remember much of the first five or six days in the hospital. I'm told by Adrea Bailey (my lovely daughter) that I don't wanna remember. I was in excruciating pain and having vivid, unpleasant hallucinations. She never left my side while I was there. She's an angel. Thomas was there when he could be and Terry Case, my best friend. Anyhow - I somehow got sepsis and another infection that had to be treated before I could be released. I made it home Sunday. Finally!! Now comes the long road to recovery. I've already ditched my walker. Can't use my cane because of my right hand. I can't even write. This may require PT or other treatments. Supposedly, I have congestive heart failure, but I ain't buyin' it. I know that I have another MRI coming up. Lots of work to be done. BUT - I'm on the mend. And I'm ALIVE. That's the important thing, Just thought y'all might wanna know. Miss you all ...

Qew

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 5, 2012
    Michigan
    Good lord Rave, they put you through the spin cycle AND the wringer! I'm so glad that you are on the mend and glad you have such wonderful support from family and friends. I'm sending tons of best wishes, prayers, healing vibes, everything I can muster. And hugs, the good kind that don't hurt. We've missed you, too!

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
    Thank goodness you are out of that darn hospital, Raven. Good golly!!!!! You have been through a lot but I like your plans to get better and improve including possibly physical therapy. Thank you so much for posting.
    I know there will be physical therapy. Wishing you an astounding recovery!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    Great to hear you're home, Rave. Not great to hear about what made the hospital visit necessary and definitely not great hearing what an idiot the doctor was giving you narcotic pain killers and the results there of. I would definitely contact the hospital administration and a lawyer. He doesn't deserve to practice medicine with that kind of attitude.

I know you're a strong person and will do whatever you need to to get back to normal. I'm sending all the vibes, prayers and good thoughts I can muster.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 23, 2013
    US
    Forgive me if I don't backread. Only have so much energy ...

Home from Hospital

I haven't mentioned anything here because I haven't really been able until now. Spent 9 days in the hospital. Thomas took me basically kicking and screaming because I didn't think I needed to go. I had a flu of some sort which kicked off a right side MS exacerbation. Turns out I was in complete renal failure too. Thomas saved my life. It's just a simple fact.

Hospitals don't seem to understand when I tell them that I can't have narcotic painkillers. They don't get it. First thing they did was give me a narcotic. And then another. And then another. Tramadol should be removed from the market. Just sayin'. I became unresponsive and then comatose. A sternum rub wouldn't bring me back nor shaking. It took Narcan to bring me back. One of the nurses noted in my chart that I should never, ever have Tramadol again because of the reaction. The damned doctor did it again in spite of that! Now I have virtually no use of my right hand. I am right-handed. Damnit.

I don't remember much of the first five or six days in the hospital. I'm told by Adrea Bailey (my lovely daughter) that I don't wanna remember. I was in excruciating pain and having vivid, unpleasant hallucinations. She never left my side while I was there. She's an angel. Thomas was there when he could be and Terry Case, my best friend. Anyhow - I somehow got sepsis and another infection that had to be treated before I could be released. I made it home Sunday. Finally!! Now comes the long road to recovery. I've already ditched my walker. Can't use my cane because of my right hand. I can't even write. This may require PT or other treatments. Supposedly, I have congestive heart failure, but I ain't buyin' it. I know that I have another MRI coming up. Lots of work to be done. BUT - I'm on the mend. And I'm ALIVE. That's the important thing, Just thought y'all might wanna know. Miss you all ...
    Sorry you went through all of that. I am so glad you are home and on the mend! I am praying for a quick recovery :)

celticluvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    {{{{{{{{{{Rave}}}}}}}}

I am so so absolutely sorry you had such a :censored::censored: doctor. He definitely should never practice medicine if he can't read a chart. My best wishes for a full recovery. God bless your bf, daughter and Terry for being with you. And a special blessing for your bf for taking you to the hospital (despite your treatment therein).:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Good morning, Voltpeeps.

I'm thinking good thoughts for you, Raven.

It is 45 degrees outside and the wind is blowing hard. I decided to go ahead and have a fire in the wood stove to take the chill off the house. Looks like an indoors day. I have a few loads of laundry to do, maybe I'll change the sheets on the bed and it never hurt to vacuum.

I've done a pretty good job on the spring time weeds. Yes, there will be weeding for the rest of the spring and summer but nothing like this initial flush of weeds. The cheat grass is already going to seed so I have been pulling it, putting it in a bucket and feeding it to the goats. I think it is worth the effort since every seed head you pull gets rid of tons of cheat grass the next year. I think that after ten years of weeding, I have finally gotten to the point where there is less weeding this year than ever before. Yay!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    'afternoon, Voltathusiasts.

I hoep you're doing and feeling better today, Rave. Being home, by itself, should help a lot.

I had a moderately busy day with laundry, cooking and dicing chicken for Bo and fooling with my wife's desktop computer.

That computer rarely gets booted so when I checked it to make sure it was on the network it spent some time updating things. You know, we get spoiled with newer technology. That one is a Pentium, 3.4ghz clock I think. Compared to the laptops we both have it's slower than mud. Compared to the desktop I just re-built it's in reverse. Maybe I'll throw the motherboard and processor I took out of mine into this one. AT least that one is a Core Two Duo, effectively quad core. She doesn't use it often but always complains about how slow it is. If I do that, I won't tell her and see if she notices :lol: I'd upgrade it from XP to Win7 for her, but I'm not sure what software she uses on it and if some of the peripherals will work with Win7.

Lizzy, if you run out of weeds to pull, come on over here, lots to work with so you feel accomplished.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    'afternoon, Voltathusiasts.

I hoep you're doing and feeling better today, Rave. Being home, by itself, should help a lot.

I had a moderately busy day with laundry, cooking and dicing chicken for Bo and fooling with my wife's desktop computer.

That computer rarely gets booted so when I checked it to make sure it was on the network it spent some time updating things. You know, we get spoiled with newer technology. That one is a Pentium, 3.4ghz clock I think. Compared to the laptops we both have it's slower than mud. Compared to the desktop I just re-built it's in reverse. Maybe I'll throw the motherboard and processor I took out of mine into this one. AT least that one is a Core Two Duo, effectively quad core. She doesn't use it often but always complains about how slow it is. If I do that, I won't tell her and see if she notices :lol: I'd upgrade it from XP to Win7 for her, but I'm not sure what software she uses on it and if some of the peripherals will work with Win7.

Lizzy, if you run out of weeds to pull, come on over here, lots to work with so you feel accomplished.

Sadly, it looks like I have three days worth of weeding up front. And I thought I was doing so good!!!!!

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    I agree, dandelions are pretty:)

Thinking of Raven.

Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

I have a house to clean today and then the farrier is coming this afternoon. I am hoping the wind isn't too bad when he gets here.

I went online yesterday to the Home Sleezo and they were down to the last door that was $400. I paid for it and it is now sitting up front waiting for me to pick it up on Sunday. No, we won't be able to install it for a couple of weeks but that is okay. The price is awesome.

Did I tell you the roofing guy came by. He claimed it would be $20,000 to install a metal roof. I said get me a quote for shingles. He hasn't sent the quote yet but it doesn't matter. I'm very unhappy with this guy since those kind of prices are absurd. Hubby is going to have todo the roof himself. I suggested he use his extra week of vacation from this year so we have 10 days to do the job. We shall see what happens.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Ya know dandelions are edible? You make salads and teas out of the whole plant. I never actually tried any fresh but have had a dandelion tea... (did not taste that good). They are very beneficial to your health. OH and you can make dandelion wine too.

Yeah I'm a dork. I've been saving all kinds of youtube vids about them. :oops::oops: I find natural stuff very interesting so I research alot before I actually consume anything. I'm talking books Various websites and the whole shebang. ;)

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    'moanin, Voltatics.

Wonder how Rave is doing?

Dandelions, to me, are just an invasive pest. If I don't keep them under control they'll take over the whole yard. I've had tea and salads made from dandelions and no thanks, not my cup if tea of bowl of salad. It's all a matter of taste, I guess, and they don't taste good to me.

It's been kind of cool in the mornings here, low 30's, but had been warming nicely by noon into the mid 60's. We're supposed to get into the 70's and maybe 80 during next week. I've been outside raking and cleaning everything up. Sometimes it seems like I'll never get done with everything. I'm thinking about buying a chipper to take care of all the twigs and branches and it would let me mulch the leaves even more to speed up making useable mulch out of them. Kind of pricey though so I haven't pulled the trigger, yet. It's either that or pile it all up, then drag that out to the curb for the town to come around and chip up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread