Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Lizzie, congratulations on the new pony and on maybe finding Nevada a new home. I can't wait to see pictures. Penny had a narrow chest, too, and it never seemed to bother her. Of course, the way she was built probably had something to do with developing arthritis in her old age, but probably the clubfoot was more of a factor. The new pony looked a bit thin (but it was hard to tell from the photo). Could you see ribs when you looked at him? If he has been underfed, he might become more spunky when he's got more to eat. Now is a good time to geld him, because in cooler weather, the flies aren't so bad, and they won't bother a healing wound so much.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
The new pony isn't thin but he is a bit slender in build. The .... muscles will fill out some if we start having haul a tire around the yard and his chest muscles will get a bit larger, too. He really is just a somewhat delicate build with long slender legs.

Since we aren't going to use him as a plow horse, Linda and I discussed his build, we think he will do fine as a light carriage horse.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
A lot to catch up on! And thanks for your inquiries, everyone. :)

Sandy - I really feel as if I've come to know those kids. You are so good with them. Your method of teaching them seems so much better than a regimented, scheduled program. They are lucky younguns.

A new mini horse for Lizzie! Wow!! I'm interested to hear about their interactions. And we want pics, of course!

Well, I survived the MS Walk. They had a choice of either one mile or three. We chose the one mile. Not because I didn't think that I could do three. but in consideration of my BF. He has an artificial hip and it pains him if he walks too much.

MSWalk2015.JPG

Proof that I made it! YAY!!

Other than that, on weekdays I've just been tending my internet sales and making more items to sell. On weekends, we've been fishing like crazy. Yesterday I had to fillet a 8 pound catfish! Nope. I didn't catch it. The BF did. No way I coulda hauled that thing in.

Mega Cat Smaller Size.jpg

That was not a fun fish to fillet! But, we'll get several meals from it. :D

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
We chose the one mile. Not because I didn't think that I could do three. but in consideration of my BF. He has an artificial hip and it pains him if he walks too much.
How has he been doing since they cut out all those tumors? Multiple operations in multiple places at one time had to have been nasty-- no more, right?

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
That was not a fun fish to fillet! But, we'll get several meals from it.
Nice fish Rave! Catfish is my favorite fresh water fish and that photo made me hongry. Time to go down to the river sometime this week. I know a nice hidey hole near cow creek.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
How has he been doing since they cut out all those tumors? Multiple operations in multiple places at one time had to have been nasty-- no more, right?

He's been good. No more have shown up. :nun:

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Nice fish Rave! Catfish is my favorite fresh water fish and that photo made me hongry. Time to go down to the river sometime this week. I know a nice hidey hole near cow creek.

Sounds like a good plan, Wuzz. Fishing is not a thing to procrastinate! :laugh:

Okay. Nighty night all ...

__flying_raven_animation___by_jesseth-d34fvum.gif

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

Went to the waterboard meeting. We are now members of the co-op. I signed on to be the membership committee leader. Mostly because we haven't got a single handout for the big rummage sale on October 3rd. How are we going to get the word out if we can't get a flyer made up.

I know, am I nuts?

I have to clean a house later today. I certainly need the money if I am going to buy a new pony.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
We had the TV guy out again because the DVR/tuner wasn't turning the TV on so he left and guess what? The next morning the TV wouldn't turn on.

So I finally took the time to call Tech support again this moring and she suggested that the HDMI cable sounds bad. She says I can buy a HDMI cable at Walmart or some such and get a better quality cable.

Okay, so that is dumb that the TV company would jeopardize how I feel about their company to save 50 cents. A two pack of cables through Amazon is $6.99 and I get free shipping with Prime and can have it here in two days.

I kind of resent having to spend my own dime on this but I am going to try it.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Rave, congratulations for your medal and completing the walk. I sure hope we get to hear more from you now. We missed you!

Lizzie, I hope you get the TV signal straightened out. That's a drag, especially since you are paying for the service.

The big news here is that the obnoxious grandmother returned to China today. Everyone here is heaving a great sigh of relief, especially the kids' mom. The grandmother was force-feeding the kids lots of rice to fatten them up, but they are not skinny by any means, and their mom couldn't do much about it. The grand mother said the kids are too thin and their mom isn't feeding them enough, but they are just fine, and the older boy is a bit chubby, but not dangerously so. Now the kids can eat normally, which is a big plus!

Besides this, the grandmother was totally unreliable about being where she should on time. Sometimes I'd go to their house to tutor the kids, and they'd all be out for a walk somewhere, appearing when they got around to it. The grandmother refused to wear a watch and be on time. And when I went to the restaurant to pick up the kids, sometimes she was off somewhere walking, and I just took the 3 kids home without her. The older boy would watch his little brother while I tutored his sister, and eventually, the grandmother would show up, but someone had to drive her up from the restaurant to the house in an extra trip because she wasn't there for me to take them all.

When we went to the fair last month, I lectured the kids on not wandering away and gave everyone my cell phone number if they did get lost on the fairgrounds. They all stayed nearby, but the grandmother wandered off at will, and we had to stay where we were till she reappeared. I also discovered she's cheap and only wanted to pay for one ride for the kids, so they got bored and wanted to go home. This made the girl miss out on the fireworks she so wanted to see.

And she caused that last great meltdown with the boy, though I think he should have controlled himself better when he didn't get his way. Maybe she was right in that case to challenge him to go first, even if he didn't want to. But most of the argument was in Chinese, so I have no idea of what was said. I just went along with whatever she decided.

But now she's gone, and the mother's mother will be caring for the kids. She doesn't speak English, but she seems nicer. At least she smiles more.

The kids' mother said that if the other grandmother does come back, she will have to live in the apartment in town rather than in their house, since she and her mother-in-law don't get along. That sounds like a good plan. It would be better for everyone if she stayed in China, but she said to me that the air there is bad -- I guessed polluted -- and you never see blue skies. In summer it's so hot there that there are lots of people in the hospital. So that sounds like she wants to spend the summers here, anyway.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
It is the .... crack of dawn here and 50 degrees overnight. The warmer weather is supposed to stay with us for a few more days. Nineties will finally drop to the eighties in a few days and then we start gradually getting cooler.

Nevada and Wiseguy are chasing each other around the pen. It's fall and they are feeling their oats!

By the time the weather really starts cooling down, we will be on the big hunting trip.

Tina is supposed to come look at Nevada today. I am hopeful that Nevada will get a good home. We shall see what happens today.

I am going to get Wiseguy into the cart today. Crystal is coming over and we are going to go for a ride.

We never did get the truck fixed. The clutch still doesn't work and Hubby now thinks the truck may need a clutch job. He isn't feeling very motivated so let's see if my truck gets running before we leave for our hunting trip.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Other than that, on weekdays I've just been tending my internet sales and making more items to sell. On weekends, we've been fishing like crazy. Yesterday I had to fillet a 8 pound catfish! Nope. I didn't catch it. The BF did. No way I coulda hauled that thing in.

mega-cat-smaller-size-jpg.492480

Wow, definitely a nice catch...

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
After tutoring today, as usual, I searched the Internet, via Google, for stuff for the kids' next lesson. And I got a bogus warning that going to the web site meant my computer was compromised. This wasn't true. It was just someone trying to get my info so I could be hacked into. Be aware of this, folks. It seems rampant, since it's happened to me twice recently. Both times, they gave a toll-free number to call to straighten out the problem, and of course, before calling it, I Googled the number and discovered that it was a hoax. I just wanted to say this to anyone who might be tempted to call, though I bet all of you are smart enough to check it out first.

So, as for tutoring, the girl is doing well. She's still reading chapt. 3 but nearly done with it. I asked her if she wanted to continue with the Mowgli stories and go to the next chapter, and she said she did, though the reading is really hard for her.

Meanwhile, the boy and I decided Harry Potter is still too difficult for him, and he's reading about Aladdin.

And there's something Sunday maybe I'll take the kids to: Grains and Planes, in Seneca Falls. It sounds like something fun, with a free bounce house and other kids' activities, plus demos of model airplanes and drones. I'd like to see a drone, myself, I've heard so much about them.

So I asked the girl if she thought she'd like to go, and she said she would, but only if her brothers could go, too, because it'd be more fun with them. So, when it was the older boy's turn, I asked him, and he immediately asked what his sister wanted, since he wanted the opposite, what ever it was going to be. I just asked him what he wanted and tried to make him see how giving up what he wanted just to negate what his sister wanted would stand in his own way of a good time. I fear I didn't make much of an impression. I think his idea of a good time is preventing his sister from doing what she wants. Why does he have to be like that? It really upsets me. I wish there was some magic way of making him give up this vendetta.

Tomorrow, I'll ask their mom if I can take them. I have no idea what this thing will be like, since I've never been to it or heard of it before.

Meanwhile, when we got to the house, the maternal grandmother was there with another woman who I heard is her friend. She will be staying with them, too. That should be nice for the grandmother, to have a friend with her.

Then I went to the new girl. She is getting more itchy about working. I figured that would happen, though I hoped not. She is trying hard, though, and to get her up to her grade level, I'm pretty demanding. Maybe I should ease off. She really likes reading the Di*k and Jane book (I had to do that, because I know they won't let me post that innocent name, due to bad connotations). I borrowed the book from the other girl. I had given it to her for Christmas -- was it a year ago? -- maybe more, I think -- and the other girl really loved reading something so simple, and this girl does, too. The pictures show a lot of what's going on, and the new girl stops to take time to study the pictures on each page. She still has trouble reading the word do, which seems so simple I wonder why. Sometimes she reads it as doesn't and then when I stop her to get her to think about it, he tries doe and similar wrong answers. Why is do so hard? And as with the others, she tries to add what she thinks will be said rather than reading, but the others have pretty much given that up. I insist they read the actual words on the page, not a reasonable facsimile.

She got tired before we finished the book, though we were close, and I thought maybe today we'd get to the end. But I can tell when they are finished reading aloud to me, because they start making stupid mistakes, ones I know they wouldn't make if they could think straight. In fact, the other girl today asked to stop just when I was thinking that we should stop when we got to the end of the paragraph. So I really think I have a proper feel for just how far I can push them without overdoing it.

So the next question is: will we go to the event on Sunday? Will the boy try to make things unpleasant? I guess it's a good time to find out how it will go.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Oh boy, sounds like a bit of a soap opera with the students.

Let us know how it goes on Sunday!

Tina came over and looked at Nevada but I didn't get a lot of hopeful signs so I think maybe she won't take him. She might still. She was hard to read. Crossing my fingers. Otherwise, I will have three horses here.

If I can't get Nevada out of here by Sunday, I will have to set up the round pen for the new guy. The bad part there is that I have to haul water or get a really long hose [make that at least two hoses] to get water out there. Fine temporarily but not good during the winter. Also, no shelter is available in the round pen.

The new guy is going to have to settle in for a bit anyway before I can work with him. If I don't get any leads on Nevada soon, I will put him on Craigslist.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
moanin, Volties.

I hope you luck out with Nevada, Lizze. That would make things a lot easier for you to say the least.

Sandy, how about just asking the mother about a field trip and eliminate the conflict between the boy and girl entirely? You have a good feel for what they both like and dislike so your choices would probably be great for them anyway.

New York is closed today, LOL. Between the Pope and the General Assembly a lot of Manhattan is shut down. The Ben Franklin bridge will be closed here, starting today, as well as a lot of "center city" Philadelphia for the Pope's visit on Saturday and Sunday. I'm about "Poped" out already, but it is very interesting to watch and see his reactions to the crowds and individual people.

The seasons are definitely changing. We haven't had to run the AC for almost a week which is quite refreshing. I've been working outside and the days have been gorgeous, temps in the low 80's and low humidity. We may get some rain on Sunday, which would be a shame since the Pope will be doing an open air Mass from the Art Center in Philly. I hope it doesn't rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread