Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
First, I don't let my Ni coils get too gunked up before cleaning them. To clean them I set the temperature below what will make the wire glow when it's dry. With Ni I start at 500 deg F and once any hot spots are gone I increase it to 550 and then to 600. The hot spots are I believe because clean segments of wire get hotter than gunked segments. Once hot spots are gone I hold the button for say 20 seconds and then give the coils a gentle scrape with a small micro screwdriver and see what flakes off. I repeat as needed until I feel the coil is clean enough.

I try to use atomizers that don't have screws that can cut the soft Ni wire when I tighten them. Anything that allows me to use screw heads to trap the wire is good. I have doubled the coil legs and twisted them a couple of times to make them stronger and that worked for me in a couple of post hole builds.

Reactions: Matty316

Matty316

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
Hull, England
First, I don't let my Ni coils get too gunked up before cleaning them. To clean them I set the temperature below what will make the wire glow when it's dry. With Ni I start at 500 deg F and once any hot spots are gone I increase it to 550 and then to 600. The hot spots are I believe because clean segments of wire get hotter than gunked segments. Once hot spots are gone I hold the button for say 20 seconds and then give the coils a gentle scrape with a small micro screwdriver and see what flakes off. I repeat as needed until I feel the coil is clean enough.

I try to use atomizers that don't have screws that can cut the soft Ni wire when I tighten them. Anything that allows me to use screw heads to trap the wire is good. I have doubled the coil legs and twisted them a couple of times to make them stronger and that worked for me in a couple of post hole builds.

Thanks for the help Ryedan i'll give that a try.

Reactions: Ryedan

abpigdoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Alpharetta, GA USA
Sedge has a good method for cleaning coils that I have been using, at least partly: I run some hot water over then and give them a bit of soak with alcohol. Then I gingerly scrub them with a soft tooth brush--I may polish with a bit of Scotchbrite, and then re-wick. A coil can last me a good long time this way, although a fter a few treatments, I get the jones for a new one. I also find that "Crazy Wire" nickel wire seems a good bit more durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread