Coil Material Questions for Newbie TC Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattymag_vapes

Sep 14, 2015
Canada
www.ubersmoq.com
I have a few questions that needs to be addressed because I just got into the temp. control mods and I have a UWell Crown tank coming in the mail soon.

1. What is the kind of metal in the new Triton coils? Is it Nichrome, Titanium or Kanthal?
2. The UWell Crown tank comes with a few coils, the 0.15 ohm coils are NI200 - any thoughts on that? Is it safe? What are you're recommended temperature for NI200?

Last question... what type of material would be safe to use on the TC mods?

Any help, comments, will be greatly appreciated!

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
i believe the triton coils are using 316L stainless steel in standard coils, ni200 in their TC coil
ni200 is the more common TC coil material... recommended temps are going to vary somewhat, brother...

ni200, titanium, ss are all used in TC *IF* the device supports them - the three behave different (different temp coefficients) so device as to support that type of wire... ni200 is kind of the 'standard' one thus far...

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I have a few questions that needs to be addressed because I just got into the temp. control mods and I have a UWell Crown tank coming in the mail soon.

1. What is the kind of metal in the new Triton coils? Is it Nichrome, Titanium or Kanthal?
2. The UWell Crown tank comes with a few coils, the 0.15 ohm coils are NI200 - any thoughts on that? Is it safe? What are you're recommended temperature for NI200?

Any help, comments, will be greatly appreciated!

Like stated above, TC is still evolving as to what material should be used. True, any metal, including Ni60/Ni80 Nichrome and Kanthal, if abused and overheated out gasses and can become toxic, Nichrome the chromium in it, kanthal the aluminium and some the ceramic or iron or chromium as well, all of them excluding Ti1 the Nickel within these allows. Out of all of them SS and Kanthal can withstand the most heat due to their iron content in their alloy makeup. With TC, most TC mods have a maximum temp output of about 600F or 300C, which is below the degalvinating (sorry this term I am still learning about, basically not melting point but it reaches an oxidizing threshold where particulate begins to enter the vapor aerosol stream) point for Nickel (Ni200), yet about Melting point is a bit higher within a couple hundred degrees F.

Ti1 you have to worry about around 650 or a bit higher begins to create an oxide on the surface, and titanium oxide is not a fun substance to be getting into your vapor stream either. Basically if you got juice flowing to be vaporized, the wicking and metal stay wet or moist, and plenty of airflow, 525 to about 575F is still in the safe zone even with Ni200 and Ti1, coil and wicking start getting dry, the ignition points of even cotton at the 400 to 430F range can happen, also you have to look at the flash points of liquid substances in your vape that can create diketones, acrolien gases, and other such nasties and set your temp ceiling on the mod to about 25-50F below those would be your max setting I use as a guage, not the metals themselves, but my wicking and juices, in the ball park of 450-550F depending on my liquids.

Mattymag_vapes

Sep 14, 2015
Canada
www.ubersmoq.com
Like stated above, TC is still evolving as to what material should be used. True, any metal, including Ni60/Ni80 Nichrome and Kanthal, if abused and overheated out gasses and can become toxic, Nichrome the chromium in it, kanthal the aluminium and some the ceramic or iron or chromium as well, all of them excluding Ti1 the Nickel within these allows. Out of all of them SS and Kanthal can withstand the most heat due to their iron content in their alloy makeup. With TC, most TC mods have a maximum temp output of about 600F or 300C, which is below the degalvinating (sorry this term I am still learning about, basically not melting point but it reaches an oxidizing threshold where particulate begins to enter the vapor aerosol stream) point for Nickel (Ni200), yet about Melting point is a bit higher within a couple hundred degrees F.

Ti1 you have to worry about around 650 or a bit higher begins to create an oxide on the surface, and titanium oxide is not a fun substance to be getting into your vapor stream either. Basically if you got juice flowing to be vaporized, the wicking and metal stay wet or moist, and plenty of airflow, 525 to about 575F is still in the safe zone even with Ni200 and Ti1, coil and wicking start getting dry, the ignition points of even cotton at the 400 to 430F range can happen, also you have to look at the flash points of liquid substances in your vape that can create diketones, acrolien gases, and other such nasties and set your temp ceiling on the mod to about 25-50F below those would be your max setting I use as a guage, not the metals themselves, but my wicking and juices, in the ball park of 450-550F depending on my liquids.
Awesome, thank you!!

Last edited:

Digatel

May 27, 2015
Sandusky, Ohio
triton coils
0.3ohm Coil : 316L Stainless Steel Wire
0.4ohm Coil : 316L Stainless Steel Wire
1.8ohm Coil : Kanthal Wire
0.15Ω/ohm - Ni200
^^^
What he said...I hear stainless steel produces superb flavor as well. I have been looking at the new Triton tank myself, because I like the simplicity of the top-fill feature. Not to mention, I have the Herakles and Atlantis, so I could use the Aspire coils on all 3!

^^^
What he said...I hear stainless steel produces superb flavor as well. I have been looking at the new Triton tank myself, because I like the simplicity of the top-fill feature. Not to mention, I have the Herakles and Atlantis, so I could use the Aspire coils on all 3!

It does brother... I own two tritons both running .3 coils can't beat the flavor vs kanthal subtanks

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama

None of the above. It is 316 stainless steel (or maybe 304 -- but definitely SS). SS is similar to kanthal except SS uses nickel in place of kanthal's aluminum.

The temp is a preference, but I prefer about 430-450°F for a 70VG liquid. The idea is to start lower and work up right until you get to the boiling point (where a good amount of vapor is being produced) and then stop. Again, I find this to be 430-450 with a higher VG juice. I typically stay at 450 normally or 475 when I'm feeling crazy.

We don't know if any of it is safe because none of it has been studied specifically in the context of a vaporizer being inhaled by humans. I suspect the metal itself isn't much of a concern, but I can't prove it other than pointing to a few studies that suggest the metal in e-cig vapor is very minimal. But these studies, while positive, are not conclusive.

For TC (so far) we have Nickel, Titanium, various grades of Stainless Steel, and various grades of NiFe (nickel/Iron alloy). There are even other possibilities like tungsten, platinum, gold, etc.. We don't really know the health effects of any of it, but nickel itself has a lot of people worried because it is known to be toxic to humans. Thus, a lot of people are big on Titanium (including myself) or the SS or NiFe's. But, honestly, I doubt there's much risk even with pure nickel. Just do what makes you comfortable.

None of the above. It is 316 stainless steel (or maybe 304 -- but definitely SS). SS is similar to kanthal except SS uses nickel in place of kanthal's aluminum.

The temp is a preference, but I prefer about 430-450°F for a 70VG liquid. The idea is to start lower and work up right until you get to the boiling point (where a good amount of vapor is being produced) and then stop. Again, I find this to be 430-450 with a higher VG juice. I typically stay at 450 normally or 475 when I'm feeling crazy.

We don't know if any of it is safe because none of it has been studied specifically in the context of a vaporizer being inhaled by humans. I suspect the metal itself isn't much of a concern, but I can't prove it other than pointing to a few studies that suggest the metal in e-cig vapor is very minimal. But these studies, while positive, are not conclusive.

For TC (so far) we have Nickel, Titanium, various grades of Stainless Steel, and various grades of NiFe (nickel/Iron alloy). There are even other possibilities like tungsten, platinum, gold, etc.. We don't really know the health effects of any of it, but nickel itself has a lot of people worried because it is known to be toxic to humans. Thus, a lot of people are big on Titanium (including myself) or the SS or NiFe's. But, honestly, I doubt there's much risk even with pure nickel. Just do what makes you comfortable.
Thanks @BigEgo this helps a lot! Can't wait for my vapeMail to get here, ordered a Sigelei 150w TC with an UWell Crown tank... Gonna try that out with this new Bavarian Cream recipe i've been tinkering with :)

kraze6548

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2015
You will be super happy with both the Sig 150tc and Crown tank. I know I am. I have been running the ni200 coil on the sig at 45j 420f and loving it. When I use the crown on the dna200 I have to bump the temp up to 500f. i have only been using the crown ni200 coil for a couple days so im still trying to find the sweet spot. I have read that the ni coils are rated 70-80 watts and 280c to 350c . . It works great but the tank really shines with .25 and .5 ss coils.
just a quick heads up. these coils have a very important breakin process. If u havent seen the video id look it up. If u do it right they will last forever. ill try to link the video in a bit.

Mattymag_vapes

Sep 14, 2015
Canada
www.ubersmoq.com

Can I use the Triton coils, 0.3 ohm Stainless Steel, in my TC Sigelei on temperature control mode, in jules?

kraze6548

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2015
Can I use the Triton coils, 0.3 ohm Stainless Steel, in my TC Sigelei on temperature control mode, in jules?
I would use it in power mode because the sig 150 tc I'm setup for ni200. U might be able to find a good setting but it would be using ni 200 tcr and not really efficient

Mattymag_vapes

Sep 14, 2015
Canada
www.ubersmoq.com
I would use it in power mode because the sig 150 tc I'm setup for ni200. U might be able to find a good setting but it would be using ni 200 tcr and not really efficient
Yeah I'm gonna keep it in power mode until I get my hands on some 0.15 ohm Ni200 coils from Triton, unless my UWell Crown tank comes in the mail soon, but I'll keep vaping at power mode. I did try it on TC mode with 2 puffs and it did work I just didn't feel informed enough so I switched it back to wattage.

I can still use my RDA Kanthal builds on the wattage mode for this device, correct?

kraze6548

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2015
Yeah I'm gonna keep it in power mode until I get my hands on some 0.15 ohm Ni200 coils from Triton, unless my UWell Crown tank comes in the mail soon, but I'll keep vaping at power mode. I did try it on TC mode with 2 puffs and it did work I just didn't feel informed enough so I switched it back to wattage.

I can still use my RDA Kanthal builds on the wattage mode for this device, correct?
Yes use kanthal in power mode. The crown ss coils are also power. On that mod the only thing to use in tc would be ni200. If u have a dna 200 mod u can program each kind of wire for tc but on your specific mod it's only programmed for tc with ni200.
Just make sure u don't use ni200 coils in power mode . They are not made to work in power mode

Mattymag_vapes

Sep 14, 2015
Canada
www.ubersmoq.com
Yes use kanthal in power mode. The crown ss coils are also power. On that mod the only thing to use in tc would be ni200. If u have a dna 200 mod u can program each kind of wire for tc but on your specific mod it's only programmed for tc with ni200.
Just make sure u don't use ni200 coils in power mode . They are not made to work in power mode
Got it, thanks! Sorry for the question, I'm at work right now and can't remember from my research from home, do I have to program the resistance for each coil/atomizer each time? I read somewhere that you had to program it yourself but I forget if it's from another mod

kraze6548

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2015
Got it, thanks! Sorry for the question, I'm at work right now and can't remember from my research from home, do I have to program the resistance for each coil/atomizer each time? I read somewhere that you had to program it yourself but I forget if it's from another mod
Only when using tc . When u put ur atty on in tc mode hold up and down at the same time and it will lock resistance . If u are using power mode u don't have to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread