CNN vs Fox news

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyGirl

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
I remember it well. As I've said before, my dad was on the editorial board of a major metro daily for many years. He was a reporter his whole life. Reporting in America is a thing of the past, for the most part. Once news divisions were required to make a profit, it was all over. News is entertainment now. Why waste money on a Moscow bureau when running Michael Jackson on an endless loop brings in more eyes to watch the soap ads between segments?

That's why this chatter about which of the cable nets is better is just hot air. They all suck. They're not biased right or left. They're biased corporate.

So true.
Very well put Surf Monkey! :thumb:

T

Topher

Odd that I should find this thread. I don't even watch broadcast television in any form at home (find it almost totally devoid of anything of value to me) and haven't bothered to get cable or satellite since I moved a year and a half ago (and I'm not some crotchety old fart, either--36 y.o., thank you). :D Therefore, my sole source for news is the internet. For about the last 3 years, CNN was always my homepage--guess I just liked the layout better than MSN or FoxNews. However, a few days ago I "woke up" and realized just how sick I was becoming of the "news" stories headlining CNNs site. I'm not sure I see the un-American angle as the OP observed, but I can understand where he's coming from with his view that they've become anti-white. I view it not so much as "anti-white" but rather "pro-minority". I see "real" news stories pushed aside constantly while they headline stories with a steep angle on racial or discriminatory aspects. Sotomayor hearings--if I read nothing but the headlines and teasers on CNN about her, I'd know nothing other than there's a Latina woman who, because of her race/gender has had to struggle through the oppression of her people by white, male-dominated society in order to reach the pinnacle of her career. This story is next to a piece on the importance of the african-american hair styling industry to their culture. I'm no more interested in reading that than the african-americans would be in reading a piece about my local barbershop, its white proprietor, and how important it is to the white community. Anyway, I digress. I realize that "sensationalized" news is what draws the knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing masses and creates the huge advertising revenue but I, for one, am tuning out. I'll check out fark.com as suggested but as for finding THE unbiased, tell-it-like-it-is, draw your own conclusions news source--it would never "sell" so will most likely only exist on small, blog-like websites in a very limited scope. My $.02

p.s. Sorry about the length--my intention wasn't to turn this into a blog or rant of my own but once the juices start flowing.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

master_meow

Moved On
Jul 14, 2009
ChiTown
What annoys me are about news today are the amount of blogs pretending to be news. So much undocumented/filled with opinions that people buy as fact. Its disgusting.

Another complaint is the desire to be "first" there was a musician that died recent, I forget her name. And some kid based on a class he was taking in college, posted in wiki a fake quote for her, something like "I lived my life like my music" or something like that. Some writter for a newspaper read that, took it as fact because they wanted to be the first to post it. A month later the kid told everyone it was fake. And the standards go even lower...

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Exactly what I'm talking about. I'm asian not white so I can view the news without the guilt that many white people I know feel about race. CNN is very biased towards pro-minority perspectives and destroys any topic or event that would even remotely promote white awareness, either through describing such things as being white supremacist or completely ignoring them in coverage. It's ridiculous how much CNN covers minority issues when the majority of Americans are white - not only this they go out of their way to hire minorities and it seems that more than half of the news anchors are now minorities. There's nothing wrong with this I know, but it still seems like they're over-promoting minority representation while at the same time glossing over some of the negative aspects of minority communities in this country - i.e. the huge problem of racism among all minority groups, the much higher percentage of violent crime committed by minorities. I'm all for racial equality - but to paint the TV with images of model minorities as victims of white oppression is ridiculous and anti-American.
Odd that I should find this thread. I don't even watch broadcast television in any form at home (find it almost totally devoid of anything of value to me) and haven't bothered to get cable or satellite since I moved a year and a half ago (and I'm not some crotchety old fart, either--36 y.o., thank you). :D Therefore, my sole source for news is the internet. For about the last 3 years, CNN was always my homepage--guess I just liked the layout better than MSN or FoxNews. However, a few days ago I "woke up" and realized just how sick I was becoming of the "news" stories headlining CNNs site. I'm not sure I see the un-American angle as the OP observed, but I can understand where he's coming from with his view that they've become anti-white. I view it not so much as "anti-white" but rather "pro-minority". I see "real" news stories pushed aside constantly while they headline stories with a steep angle on racial or discriminatory aspects. Sotomayor hearings--if I read nothing but the headlines and teasers on CNN about her, I'd know nothing other than there's a Latina woman who, because of her race/gender has had to struggle through the oppression of her people by white, male-dominated society in order to reach the pinnacle of her career. This story is next to a piece on the importance of the african-american hair styling industry to their culture. I'm no more interested in reading that than the african-americans would be in reading a piece about my local barbershop, its white proprietor, and how important it is to the white community. Anyway, I digress. I realize that "sensationalized" news is what draws the knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing masses and creates the huge advertising revenue but I, for one, am tuning out. I'll check out fark.com as suggested but as for finding THE unbiased, tell-it-like-it-is, draw your own conclusions news source--it would never "sell" so will most likely only exist on small, blog-like websites in a very limited scope. My $.02

p.s. Sorry about the length--my intention wasn't to turn this into a blog or rant of my own but once the juices start flowing.... :)

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
You missed the recent 1st and 4th headline:
"Obama to NAACP: 'We need a new mindset' 43 min"
'Wise Latina' spawns wisecracks"

Of course these are more important than the rest of the news:

"Ticker: Senator's ....... quip raises eyebrows
Ex-Boeing engineer guilty of spying for China
Gunman in 'priest clothing' sparks shootout
Woman killed on cruise; husband charged 58 min
CNNMoney: Best-loved cars in U.S. may surprise
Tax bill threatens revamped horse farm
Musician has world's fastest fingers
Alzheimer's gene may harm middle-age memory
Toddler floats 7 miles atop toy truck
KPTV: Girl, 11, uses CPR to save 2-year-old boy
NASA not 'overly concerned' with shuttle dings
Cleaned up pics of '69 moonwalk released
iReport.com: How a 10-year-old helped Apollo 11
Howard: What to know about student loans
Van erupts in flames; police rescue family
CNN Wire: Explosions hit two Jakarta..."

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I want SMALL government, no messing with my e-cigs or money! No big brother, I'm here to rule your life! We should be responsible for ourselves and our choices, I don't want BIG government making any choices for me...

"Big government" does things you rely on every day. Highways. Police. Fire departments. Schools. Parks. The military. The Coast Guard. FEMA. The list goes on and on. When you pay taxes, it doesn't just go to line some politician's pocket. It pays for services and infrastructure that you use every day. It helps create the environment of opportunity that you exploit to make money in the first place.

When big government becomes problematic is when it tries to engage in social engineering. Government works best when it allows citizens to make personal choices like what gender the person they choose to marry is, what recreational behaviors they choose to engage in and so forth. But don't fool yourself into thinking that it's a clear cut issue. Some people might want to use crack or ...... as their recreational drug of choice. Should we legalize those? The fact that our drug of choice is nicotine gives us some clout over other drug users because nicotine is far more acceptable to society at large, but really, it's just another aspect of the same thing. If ...... had a long history of mainstream usage, people would be raising just as much stink over laws banning it as we are about the possibility that nicotine might be banned one day.

TheIllustratedMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Upstate, NY
Well, since this is obviously a loaded question meaning "what do you think about the current US political atmosphere?" or some such, I'll feel comfortable responding and not being off-topic.

I don't like CNN, FOXnews, CNBC, or any other cable news network. Local news is OK but it tends to be human interest most of the time. General news stories I grab off Google news (which is really just a jump-off to AP and network stories), and that gives me the basic "what happened?"

I really prefer the opinions pages of the local newspapers. Sounds weird, but you can get a really wide perspective on most big headline stories, and it's not pretending to be news. You know that it's opinion, it usually has some degree of fact-checking by the editor, and you can decide whether or not you agree with the perspective presented. That's also why I like forums. I can get the "what happened?" and then see what other people think about it. This way I don't just get one viewpoint, I get multiple. Tends to work out well for me most of the time.

As for the last post:

"Big government" does things you rely on every day. Highways. Police. Fire departments. Schools. Parks. The military. The Coast Guard. FEMA. The list goes on and on. When you pay taxes, it doesn't just go to line some politician's pocket. It pays for services and infrastructure that you use every day. It helps create the environment of opportunity that you exploit to make money in the first place.
Agreed. There could be more efficiency in the way those funds are spent, but they do serve a purpose. The pocket lining comes from special interests in the form of campaign contributions (at least over the table).
When big government becomes problematic is when it tries to engage in social engineering. Government works best when it allows citizens to make personal choices like what gender the person they choose to marry is, what recreational behaviors they choose to engage in and so forth.
Mostly agreed, except that government necessarily needs to look at things that harm society as a whole, which is a touchy subject. Since there is no standard definition of "harm" as related to "society", there are a LOT of things that can fall under that umbrella, which is partially why we have checks and balances, free speech, etc.
But don't fool yourself into thinking that it's a clear cut issue. Some people might want to use crack or ...... as their recreational drug of choice. Should we legalize those? The fact that our drug of choice is nicotine gives us some clout over other drug users because nicotine is far more acceptable to society at large, but really, it's just another aspect of the same thing. If ...... had a long history of mainstream usage, people would be raising just as much stink over laws banning it as we are about the possibility that nicotine might be banned one day.
I would comment on this but it would violate one of the cardinal rules of this forum, but let's just say that the answer to your question is yes.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I would comment on this but it would violate one of the cardinal rules of this forum, but let's just say that the answer to your question is yes.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. But we're in a very small minority when it comes to the notion of legalizing class I narcotics. At least one of the "softer drugs" seems to be on the fast track to legalization, and that's a good thing. My point was more that these issues exist on a sliding scale. What you may consider harmless, another person views as such a threat to society that it must be stamped out. The trick is finding where on the sliding scale to draw the line, because like it or not, lines are going to be drawn.

CoderGuy

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2009
Washington, USA
I only watch The Daily Show with Jon Stuart and The Colbert Report

I totally agree! And believe it or not they are less biased than anyone. They bash each party equally and both equally have left and right guests. I get a more accurate picture of what's going on via those two shows than anywhere else.

I watch CNN Headline News at least once a day and gotta get my Morning Express with Robin Meade and I enjoy Fox Report with Shepard Smith.

All of the network "news" shows are ridiculously biased, shame.

CoderGuy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread