Coil Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
No simple answer. A single coil will likely have higher resistance but not necessarily. it depends on wire gauge/size. Your atomizer configuration and most importantly what battery/mod you are suing and how much voltage and current it can supply.
ALWAYS be sure that your battery/mod can handle the current requirements of your coil configuration.
Failure to do so can be dangerous with risk of fire, burns and or even up to an exploding battery.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Depends entirely on the resistance of the coil(s).

I've only seen one build, ever, that had a practical quad-coil build in it (it was a 26650 Cerberus atty), and even then the dude who built it told me it was very finicky, and that he'd often be tightening post screws because a coil would stop firing. Your experience may vary, of course, but I'd stick to single and dual coils.

spencerreid

Multiple ID Suspension
May 18, 2015
www.3fvape.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Read an article, it said the Single Coil requires longer heating time.

As that is stated, it's not correct. Dual coil setups generally will tend to have slightly more heat up time than single coils, but it all depends on wire gauge, resistance and power applied (watts) and both can be designed to heat up just as fast or even faster than the other.

and another article said building 4 coil in one atomizer is hard to get the coil fully heated. is it conflicted? or I misunderstand it?

This doesn't actually say that it will take longer to heat up 4 coils, but that it's 'hard' to get the coils hot enough. With regard to heat up time, the same thing I said above for dual vs single coils applies here.

As far as 'hard to get the coil fully heated', which I read as 'hard to get the coil to vaping temperature', not if you have the power (watts) required to heat the 4 coils. You will almost always need more power to heat up 4 coils compared to 1 coil though.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ive tried single double and triad coil builds and honestly if ur not doing cloud comp then definitely stick to single or double builds

I don't agree sideburns. AFAIK most cloud chasers use dual coil builds. I'm using a triple coil setup in an Onslaught RDA right now that's giving me really good flavor.

i like my 24g kanthal with 8 wraps on 3mm bar single coil, 25.5w -8v, single coil build, great vape great cloud and flavor is intense

You should be at around 0.7 ohms with that setup. I think that will have noticeable coil heat up time at 25 watts and the mod output voltage will be closer to 4V, not 8V. I may certainly be missing something here, but it doesn't seem too good to me.

notarobot

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2015
Germany
Hey, this is my first ECF post... Sorry, my English isn't perfect, I'm not a native speaker.

The heating time does not depend on resistance and it does not depend on the number of coils.

The heat up depends on the power applied (of course), the wire material and its mass. More power means faster heat up and more mass means slower heat up. Regarding the material of the wire, a larger specific heat capacity (a constant) also means slower heat up rates. Actually, specific heat capacities of typical wire materials used for vaping do not differ all that much. Therefore, the power applied and the mass (or volume) of the wire are the main properties responsible for heating time.

So, for a given power, the less wire is used in the build, the faster it will get hot.

spencerreid

Multiple ID Suspension
May 18, 2015
www.3fvape.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread