Coil Resustance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sub4me

Moved On
Aug 31, 2014
USA
May sound like a silly question to some but I have a question of resistance of coils that I buy.

Ive noticed msny coils come in a standard 1.8ohm and those seem to sell out fast so I've picked up some 2.2 ohm coils which seem to work fine also. I pretty much understand the higher the ohm rating the more the resistance to the battery power. But why would someone want a higher resistance coil like a 2.4 or 2.6 ohm is there something I'm missing?? I use a vv battery so of course I just adjust it to my desired taste level so I suppose the coil resistance doesn't matter all that much, at least I think it doesn't. But what about using a non vv battery and does a higher resistance mean it drains the battery slower as opposed to a lower resistance coil??

Last edited:

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
Just to add a little to that...

There is more to it than just resistance... it's the coil type, wire gauge, vertical or horizontal coil, single or dual, top or bottom coil, wicking material etc. I understand you were talking about the same coil head with just a different resistance... I just thought I should mention how so many things go into the creation of an enjoyable vape... it's why we have things like variable wattage... control as many of those factors as possible.

Last edited:

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm happy for the most part with what I use I was just wondering about the different coils and why some come with different ohm choices.

Most of the H2 tanks I buy come standard with a 2.2 coil but the refills my store carries are always 2.4 only that's why I was asking.

It's actually an interesting point, but in the range of 1.8-2.4 one isn't going to notice that much of a difference. In my opinion 2 is about the highest I'd want to go, but 2.4 and 2 is gonna be barely a noticeable difference. And 2.2 to 2.4? Most heads have like a ~.2 range, in that some coils will be 2.2 and others will be 2.4, even if they're marked as 2.2.

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
A higher resistance pulls less wattage, and as a result, will drain your batteries slower.

Much slower actually, if you use the steam-engine.org calculator, you'll see that a 1.8ohm coil firing at around 3.6v will last ~3x the length of a .6ohm coil firing at the same voltage.

Odd... and 0.6 goes in to 1.8 3 times... coincidence?! j/k

sub4me

Moved On
Aug 31, 2014
USA
It's actually an interesting point, but in the range of 1.8-2.4 one isn't going to notice that much of a difference. In my opinion 2 is about the highest I'd want to go, but 2.4 and 2 is gonna be barely a noticeable difference. And 2.2 to 2.4? Most heads have like a ~.2 range, in that some coils will be 2.2 and others will be 2.4, even if they're marked as 2.2.

Thanks, that explains why I don't really notice any difference in them. I usually vape at a 3.8 or 3.6 vv setting depending on my liquid and remaining battery power and for the most part get great flavor and a decent amount of vapor, at least enough to satisfy me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread