Coil ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sub4me

Moved On
Aug 31, 2014
USA
Here's the question, if I use a vv battery set at 3.8v on a clearo with a 1.8ohm coil and then switch the coil to a 2.4ohm what exactly is the difference here??

From what I understand the coil ohm is about resistance. So does that mean at the higher ohm rating the battery will have to work harder to produce the same vapor and flavor if set at the same 3.8v or am I missing something here and if that's the case why would I want a higher ohm rated coil??

I hope I explained this right, LOL.

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
A 3.8v battery connected to a 1.8 ohm coil will produce 8.02w of power while that 2.4 will produce 6.02w; in real world application, that means that for a given unit of time, the 1.8ohm coil will provide more heat/energy than the 2.4ohm coil. That translates to more vapor/higher temperature with the 1.8 and less vapor/cooler temperature with the 2.4.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
1.8 ohm @ 3.8v = 8.02 watts and 2.11 amps
2.4 ohm @ 3.8v = 6.02 watts and 1.58 amps
So, this would mean that the 2.4 ohm coil will drain your battery slower than the 1.8 ohm coil would.
Using a VW device automatically adjusts the voltage such that the wattage with either a 1.8 or 2.4 ohm coil would perform basically the same.
With a VV device you would manually adjust the voltage to produce the same vape as required

Smann245

Aug 16, 2014
USA
E=IR and P=IE answer a lot of questions, but first you have to understand what those measurements are measuring. A thorough understanding of flowing electricity through a load is essential for this stuff. Forget about the e-cig stuff for a minute and watch a short youtube video on electronics theory. In 10 minutes you'd say "ohhhh...I seeeee. Yeah."

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Here's the question, if I use a vv battery set at 3.8v on a clearo with a 1.8ohm coil and then switch the coil to a 2.4ohm what exactly is the difference here??

From what I understand the coil ohm is about resistance. So does that mean at the higher ohm rating the battery will have to work harder to produce the same vapor and flavor if set at the same 3.8v or am I missing something here and if that's the case why would I want a higher ohm rated coil??

I hope I explained this right, LOL.

Well if you leave the voltage at 3.8 volts, then the power will be less.

If it's the same wire size in the two coils and they are single coil the the 2.8 ohm would need a higher voltage to run at the same temperature and produce more vape.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thanks guys, so do this mean the 2.4 ohm set at the same voltage uses less battery power and what would be the purpose of using a higher ohm if it produces les vapor??

The higher ohm coil need higher voltage, then it might produce more vape if its the same type of wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread