College Student Writing Argument Paper Seeks Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

winemermaid

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
United States
My writing assignment: For this assignment, you will build off the same topic used in the Writing Project 3. Your purpose is to take a position on the issue or problem you synthesized in Writing Project 3 and to make a case for a claim about the topic/problem that will influence a reasonably skeptical audience. Because you have worked towards developing a clear understanding of the scope of the problem or issue in Writing Project 3, you are now in a position to take an informed position on the issue and to argue, for example, for a specific definition of key terms, a specific evaluation of a proposal, a specific analysis of the causes of the problem, or a specific solution to the problem. Your claim must be supportable with observable, measurable, and replicable evidence. Avoid claims that are derived from moral or personal values, or which are simple claims of one person’s or group’s sense of right and wrong, or which are based solely or primarily on emotional appeals (review Chapter 10 for more on types of argumentative appeals).

Claims are established as one or more of the four types of claims discussed in Chapter 10.
An effective argument appeals to logic and reason (logos), appeals to how readers and the writer feel about an issue (pathos), and seeks to project that the writer’s argument is fair, just, and honest for all the stakeholders (ethos) (review the section on “Rhetorical Appeals to the Audience” in Chapter 4 for more on these types of appeals).
Your draft must also include a fair and balanced discussion of at least one major counter-argument to your claim—respectfully and accurately summarizing the opposing viewpoint. Be sure your paper includes a clear, fair, and respectful refutation for this counter-argument.

Your claim about a solution to a problem or a position on a topic is your argument. However, it does little good to propose a solution to or an analysis of a situation that your readers are not convinced has anything to do with them. So, do the audience analysis before undertaking your first draft. Your purpose is to influence your readers, not just tell them what you think is right. To do that you need to think about what those readers are like, what motivates and interests them, and why they should care about what you have to say on this topic. Your audience may not agree with you in the end, but they should accept that your position is valid, well-supported, and capable of being held by a rational and credible person.

Sorry for that long introduction. If I'm asking for help, it helps if you know what I will need. In my previous paper, I wrote about e-cigarettes and the debate that was going on behind them (different views, how people dislike them, why the dislike them, why you do like them, etc). It was a synthesis paper, so it showed both sides of the spectrum and also talked a little bit about regulation. Now it's my turn to present my case with evidence and solutions to problems surrounding e-cigarettes. It's the last paper of the semester and worth a decent amount of points. I'm not by any means asking you to write my paper - I have a pretty good start with a massive amount of research papers and information surrounding my writing area- but I was just curious what approach would you take if you were writing an argument paper about e-cigarettes? What would you be thinking about if you were a skeptic and what would you want the writer to address? Moreover though, what do you think that an argument paper on e-cigarettes needs to be compelling?

I thank you for taking time to read this and give some input. I think addressing issues such as this is excellent to do while in college - what a great way to get the word out! :):vapor:

Edit:I've found some good information on our school's EBSCOhost database and that alone is a great amount of information. I am just looking for different opinions and views and even maybe solutions to add for a scholarly paper.

Last edited:

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
Just make sure to include that most of us have evolved to what it is we are now doing, and that is vaping, most of us despise the name and terminology of the word "e-cigarette".. We won't have anything to do at all with cigarette anything.. We don't smoke and are not hooked on tobacco anymore.. No rules and regulations are needed for a 99% safe product..
Good luck with your term paper and thesis...

winemermaid

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
United States
Just make sure to include that most of us have evolved to what it is we are now doing, and that is vaping, most of us despise the name and terminology of the word "e-cigarette".. We won't have anything to do at all with cigarette anything.. We don't smoke and are not hooked on tobacco anymore.. No rules and regulations are needed for a 99% safe product..
Good luck with your term paper and thesis...

I'm so glad you said that. I had addressed that issue in the previous paper, about how we (vapers) usually prefer to call it just that for the fact that the word "cigarette" deems us "bad". You're right, I should address it in this paper as well as it plays a big part into communities' reactions to vaping and how education can cure some of that bad stigma. Thank you so much for your input! That's an important note and gave me a little introduction into what I already had. :)

broseph

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
okc
In my college days, I always enjoyed avenues of Sin Taxes (On foods or smokes). The tax could be levied upon the juice my mL, the nicotine by mg, the total volume of any juice meant to be vaped, or even on batteries and other accessories. I liked the Sin Tax route because taxes are really a good thing when it comes to governments (Which always need more funds as they grow). Both state and federal taxes can be levied upon products. I would also incorporate a brief historical view of how taxes on consumable items have been integral to the success of the United States.

Besides the bucks, many people should be interested in the health quality of our newly adopted addiction. There are simply not many decent studies on the subject of health and e-cigarettes, but it may be analogous to how microwaves were viewed in the '80s (I haven't researched this - it's just an idea). We didn't all turn into radioactive monsters by eating those TV dinners, but the effects of microwaved food has also not been studied long-term.

I also enjoy throwing in items (When appropriate) about the prohibition of narcotics in the US. I find it most fun to view the origins of this legislation: The Harrison Narcotics Act and just how it came into US law after the Shanghai Conference. Studies on drugs classified as narcotics were once an amusing farce used to scare citizens and lawmakers alike (I like to point out Harry Anslinger's tenure in the Treasury Department and his testimony before congress in the 1930's). Now, that opinions on narcotics are thawing a bit, and people with chemical dependency problems are allowed to address them as a medical concern, those old studies are laughable as new studies emerge. Maybe it will take another 40 or 50 years before real studies are conducted on e-cigarettes?

Addiction in the US itself is an amazing topic. The early part of the 20th century had some of the scariest methods of treating people with physical chemical dependency (Mostly morphine). Physicians would even give addicts doses of strychnine in place of morphine, and when the addict did not return the physician declared him "cured" of his dependency. There's just so many intriguing parts that have been overlook or brushed away by time. If you're interested how this was viewed in the Progressive Era, I would suggest that you search out the Supreme Court's opinion in Linder v. United States (1925). The opinion goes over the previous case law and gives a passionate verdict when it comes to addicts and how a physician may treat that disease.

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for, but I hope it is.

diller_01

Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
sudbury, On
What might be a good idea, if you do talk about the health effects of vaping, that you don't just stick to the good side of vaping, but try to also find articles that point to the bad side of vaping and then maybe make an argument as to why these articles are flawed. This would help to reinforce your position, as well as take care of the ethos portion of your paper as well (you don't show bias to one position or another, but aim to educate using solid references). I would also try and not talk about how healthy vaping is, as this is still a controversial topic in the medical research establishment, and not much research has been put forward on vaping yet where the researchers have designed a thorough research experiment to answer the questions, as well as long enough testing data to explain the long term health effects of vaping which is what we really need to see. But overall, the data that is out there now can help to make an argument for short term health effects such as quitting smoking. If you want any more help I would be glad to help you out with this. Good luck!

winemermaid

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
United States
In my college days, I always enjoyed avenues of Sin Taxes (On foods or smokes). The tax could be levied upon the juice my mL, the nicotine by mg, the total volume of any juice meant to be vaped, or even on batteries and other accessories. I liked the Sin Tax route because taxes are really a good thing when it comes to governments (Which always need more funds as they grow). Both state and federal taxes can be levied upon products. I would also incorporate a brief historical view of how taxes on consumable items have been integral to the success of the United States.

Besides the bucks, many people should be interested in the health quality of our newly adopted addiction. There are simply not many decent studies on the subject of health and e-cigarettes, but it may be analogous to how microwaves were viewed in the '80s (I haven't researched this - it's just an idea). We didn't all turn into radioactive monsters by eating those TV dinners, but the effects of microwaved food has also not been studied long-term.

I also enjoy throwing in items (When appropriate) about the prohibition of narcotics in the US. I find it most fun to view the origins of this legislation: The Harrison Narcotics Act and just how it came into US law after the Shanghai Conference. Studies on drugs classified as narcotics were once an amusing farce used to scare citizens and lawmakers alike (I like to point out Harry Anslinger's tenure in the Treasury Department and his testimony before congress in the 1930's). Now, that opinions on narcotics are thawing a bit, and people with chemical dependency problems are allowed to address them as a medical concern, those old studies are laughable as new studies emerge. Maybe it will take another 40 or 50 years before real studies are conducted on e-cigarettes?

Addiction in the US itself is an amazing topic. The early part of the 20th century had some of the scariest methods of treating people with physical chemical dependency (Mostly morphine). Physicians would even give addicts doses of strychnine in place of morphine, and when the addict did not return the physician declared him "cured" of his dependency. There's just so many intriguing parts that have been overlook or brushed away by time. If you're interested how this was viewed in the Progressive Era, I would suggest that you search out the Supreme Court's opinion in Linder v. United States (1925). The opinion goes over the previous case law and gives a passionate verdict when it comes to addicts and how a physician may treat that disease.

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for, but I hope it is.

No, wow this is amazing. You've definitely given me quite a lot to chew on. It sounds to me that you would have been the perfect study buddy for school. :) thank you so much for your input. It's so nice to have a community of people who are rooting for the same home team as you are. If I have any questions while I'm writing, I'll be sure to send a quick message. You've been wonderfully helpful. thank you for this! :vapor:

winemermaid

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
United States
What might be a good idea, if you do talk about the health effects of vaping, that you don't just stick to the good side of vaping, but try to also find articles that point to the bad side of vaping and then maybe make an argument as to why these articles are flawed. This would help to reinforce your position, as well as take care of the ethos portion of your paper as well (you don't show bias to one position or another, but aim to educate using solid references). I would also try and not talk about how healthy vaping is, as this is still a controversial topic in the medical research establishment, and not much research has been put forward on vaping yet where the researchers have designed a thorough research experiment to answer the questions, as well as long enough testing data to explain the long term health effects of vaping which is what we really need to see. But overall, the data that is out there now can help to make an argument for short term health effects such as quitting smoking. If you want any more help I would be glad to help you out with this. Good luck!

You're very right about that. The data that has been conducted is very minimal and is only speculation a majority of the time because like you said, there haven't been long term studies. There is only 5 sources needed (scholarly/peer reviewed) and that is no problem at all (as I said, I wrote a synthesis on e-cigarettes and gathered a lot of materials), I'm just looking for pieces to tie in with what I already have. Improve it, i would say. Addressing misinformation will be a major point in my paper, I think it is one of the biggest factors in the public being scared or resentful towards vaping. Thank you for your input, it's so helpful to hear others point of view to help make your own case. :vapor:

winemermaid

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
United States
Scandalous propaganda from a pharmaceutical company

This might be a good thing to include

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, this is so interesting. I am familiar with Bullen (he does a lot of research with e-cigarettes) but had never seen this. I wonder if I'll be able to locate this on my school's article library?! Thank you for the very intriguing article. I knew posting here would be a great idea, we have some pretty well educated members. :)

winemermaid

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
United States
After vaping for 2 months I feel better. I don't wake up weasing and coughing my lungs up. I wake up breathing freely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so wonderful to hear! Congrats on making a wonderful change for not only you, but for the people around you! One of the first things I realized when I stopped smoking the stinkies and switched to vaping was that a) I could breathe and wasn't coughing all the time and b) I could taste my food again. Keep up your fantastic work and congrats on kicking one of the hardest to kick habits there are. And welcome to one of the most supportive and educational groups around! :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread