Custards, am I missing something??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunkel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2010
West by God Virginia
I bought 2 custard type flavors recently, but they don't really taste like custard to me.

I got a 15ml bottle of Big Willie's Custard at 50/50 and 12mg nic. I use mostly clearos and pro tanks. I haven't tried it in a Pro tank yet, but in a clearo it tastes like a mild vanilla and black pepper! Not like custard at all. Maybe it needs some steeping.

I got a 30ml bottle of Jimmy the Juiceman's Creme Brulee in 12mg nic. I know that it's supposed to have a little banana flavor, but it doesn't taste like custard or banana to me. It has a fruity flavor, but no creaminess, burnt sugar, vanilla or anything else going on.

I can pick out flavors of other complex juices but these have me stumped. Are my taste buds just dulled to custards which must be more subtle in flavor? :confused:

rjtoole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Road I Land
I bought 2 custard type flavors recently, but they don't really taste like custard to me.

I got a 15ml bottle of Big Willie's Custard at 50/50 and 12mg nic. I use mostly clearos and pro tanks. I haven't tried it in a Pro Tank yet, but in a clearo it tastes like a mild vanilla and black pepper! Not like custard at all. Maybe it needs some steeping.

I got a 30ml bottle of Jimmy the Juiceman's Creme Brulee in 12mg nic. I know that it's supposed to have a little banana flavor, but it doesn't taste like custard or banana to me. It has a fruity flavor, but no creaminess, burnt sugar, vanilla or anything else going on.

I can pick out flavors of other complex juices but these have me stumped. Are my taste buds just dulled to custards which must be more subtle in flavor? :confused:

I have tried two custards so please take my opinion with a grain of salt. I have tried Hope's Vanilla Custard and Nickotickets Custards Last Stand. Both were in the 65/35 ratio or around there. Custards to me are far from subtle. They are not a "straight from the mailbox" vape for me and I normally let them sit for at least a week/week and 1/2. Out of the two I would reccommend Custards Last Stand. It has been compared to and even favored over the famous Grants Vanilla Custard. They also have a Creme Brulet that gets great reviews as well. Another thing I see is the equipment you use. I vape custards on a Kay or Tai fun, micro coil/cotton to me this is ideal and to others maybe not. Some say that flavors get muted in clearos/clearo tanks. Nicoticket claims that their custard will taste great in everything from a geni to a carto tank. Again these are the ramblings of a novice but maybe it'll help.

AnnieP65

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
PA, USA
all I can say is I tried Big Willie's and it just didn't 'hit' for me. After steeping at least a month, it's still clear and doesn't taste any different. I do think it has potential though. The two I like are Bryce's(love the nutmeg sprinkle on top) and Villian Vapors 'Dillinger'. Dillinger is very eggy and 'thick' feeling in the mouth. Oh! And I like Grant's too, of course!!

Hmmm...I just 'happen' to have set out these 3 bottles on the counter that maybe should be mailed to you to 'return the favor'. Address please(in PM)

rjtoole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Road I Land
all I can say is I tried Big Willie's and it just didn't 'hit' for me. After steeping at least a month, it's still clear and doesn't taste any different. I do think it has potential though. The two I like are Bryce's(love the nutmeg sprinkle on top) and Villian Vapors 'Dillinger'. Dillinger is very eggy and 'thick' feeling in the mouth. Oh! And I like Grant's too, of course!!

Hmmm...I just 'happen' to have set out these 3 bottles on the counter that maybe should be mailed to you to 'return the favor'. Address please(in PM)

So, you have not tried Nicotickets? It is a lot less "eggy" and a lot more "vannila..er..er" :) and still has a lot of depth if you know what I mean. I like your PIF attitude, if I had some more I would of done the same.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I've had several custards, two of which were Big Willie's and CLS. Big Willie's for me was fantastic right away, but hit it's best flavor at 2-4 weeks, heavy on the egg and vanilla, I didn't get any peppery taste (and I'm sensitive to that). After that it didn't change much. The color did go from a fairly clear to a very dark amber. I bought a 60mL bottle so it lasted a good long time.

CLS was good too, but too sweet, and it had a fruity sort of flavor that I tasted that (to me) doesn't belong in a custard.

One thing I noted was that when I first got my CLS, I had only a Spinner battery, and if I went much higher than 4.2V it would taste burned, and under that it was just sweet.

After I got my iTaste VV V3.0, I was able to crank it to 10 watts, and then the CLS was not sweet, and much more like Big Willie's. BW didn't seem to be able to take that much heat but it was still a full-bodied custard even at lower watts.

I used evods and an RDA for both juices/batteries, and personally still prefer Big Willie's. For me it has more of a custardy mouth-feel than the others I've had.

If you like lighter flavors, The Standard's Cell Block Four is excellent...a very light vanilla with a subtle hint of lime. Very refreshing and easy on the taste buds.

rabernet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
Buford, GA
So, I'm not sure, but I think that there's some flavor profile to custards that I don't like, and is in CLS, Mother's Milk, Deadly Sin and Gambit for me. I can't describe the flavor, but I had to pour out my loaded up REO of the Mother's Milk, only did half the CLS, and begrudgingly vaped through Gambit. I've pif'd Mother's Milk to a friend, I'm waiting to see if Deadly Sin needs more steeping and I need to re-visit CLS.

Nothing bad to say about any of the vendors, it's just a layer of flavor that's identical in all four so far, that as soon as I'm done, I run to my Ahlusion stash for a cleaner vape to clean my palate.

I love custard in real life, but maybe not so much in vapes I guess. Or maybe it's some other flavor that's the common denominator in all four of them.

rjtoole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Road I Land
So, I'm not sure, but I think that there's some flavor profile to custards that I don't like, and is in CLS, Mother's Milk, Deadly Sin and Gambit for me. I can't describe the flavor, but I had to pour out my loaded up REO of the Mother's Milk, only did half the CLS, and begrudgingly vaped through Gambit. I've pif'd Mother's Milk to a friend, I'm waiting to see if Deadly Sin needs more steeping and I need to re-visit CLS.

Nothing bad to say about any of the vendors, it's just a layer of flavor that's identical in all four so far, that as soon as I'm done, I run to my Ahlusion stash for a cleaner vape to clean my palate.

I love custard in real life, but maybe not so much in vapes I guess. Or maybe it's some other flavor that's the common denominator in all four of them.

I'm only making assumptions here but the flavor profile may be a result of the fine print from Nicoticket (Quote from Site)

*All liquid containing "custard notes" from ALL VENDORS (including Nicoticket LLC) contain some combination of Diacetyl, Acetoin, and/or Acytyl Propionyl (collectively known as "Diketones"). Our liquid does *not* contain Diacetyl, but it *does* contain both Acetoin and Acytyl Propionyl. It is *impossible* to produce "custard notes" in eLiquid without Diketones. Although the inhalation risks associated with Diacetyl are known at high concentrations, research is either non-existent or inconclusive regard to the long-term inhalation risks of Diacetyl at comparatively low levels of concentration. Virtually no longitudinal research exists with regard to the long-term health effects of vaping alternatives to Diacetyl (such as Acetoin, or Acytyl Proptioyl). As with all eLiquid regardless of the types of flavoring used, the user accepts the all liability and risk associated with vaping. ANYONE WHO SAYS VAPING IS TOTALLY SAFE IS IGNORANT OR OUTRIGHT LYING. Our position - even custard eLiquid containing high concentrations of Diacetyl, a chemical compound with known inhalation risks as high concentrations, is safer than a cigarette. Despite the fact that POISON was clearly printed on every pack, we smoked anyway. Users wishing to avoid diketones entirely should avoid ALL liquid containing custard notes from ALL vendors! Users wishing to avoid all risk should avoid vaping. Vape on, my friends… vape on.

While it may not directly affect it, it is information all custard vapors should know.

eLefAdEr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Flavors are very subjective, and certain ones even moreso than others.

Custard definitely falls in that category for me.

Bought a 30ml bottle of Vanilla Custard from Gremlin Juice, which most people really liked according to the reviews both here on ECF and on their site. I tried it, and while it's definitely vape-able, didn't exactly 'tickle my vape-buds' like I was hoping -- too much custard, not enough vanilla. Brought it along with a mini vapemeet last weekend and everyone else really liked it, so I left it with them.

We went out to a couple local B&Ms to sample a bunch of flavors and tried a Vanilla Custard that's locally made by Pure Vapes. Great flavor, not overpowering, a solid balance.

Don't force yourself to like it, OP. But don't be afraid to try various versions. If I can find a Vanilla Custard I like, you can too!

rjtoole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Road I Land
Flavors are very subjective, and certain ones even moreso than others.

Custard definitely falls in that category for me.

Bought a 30ml bottle of Vanilla Custard from Gremlin Juice, which most people really liked according to the reviews both here on ECF and on their site. I tried it, and while it's definitely vape-able, didn't exactly 'tickle my vape-buds' like I was hoping -- too much custard, not enough vanilla. Brought it along with a mini vapemeet last weekend and everyone else really liked it, so I left it with them.

We went out to a couple local B&Ms to sample a bunch of flavors and tried a Vanilla Custard that's locally made by Pure Vapes. Great flavor, not overpowering, a solid balance.

Don't force yourself to like it, OP. But don't be afraid to try various versions. If I can find a Vanilla Custard I like, you can too!

I like this explaination. Custurds are like RY4's every vendor has their own version. Just look at it as more choice for you :) If you don't like it PIF one mans crab juice is another mans ADV.

RogerWilco357

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
USA
I love the custards my first is the Neckbeards line Nectar,Bryce's custard and Nicotickets CLS. I love the egg taste and miss it . I was told that it dissipates as it steeps and that is true . I tried one of the above and it had an awesome egg taste thought this was the perfect custard then it just went away still an awesome vape just miss the egg..

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
Thank you, all credit does go to http://www.nicoticket.com/custards-last-stand/ for the information.

Keep in mind....this info was freely posted from a company that basically started with "custard" as its signature flavor (CLS)...and sells a TON of it to MANY satisfied customers (myself included, for sure!!!:D)
Just another way NT scores a "home run" for TRUE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!
No stone left unturned...NT makes MANY other juices besides those with a "custard" base...
Did I mention....THEY'RE ALL GREAT??;)
Happy (vaping) Trails!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread