Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
----------------------

Please note that information in this post from many years ago is no longer valid. It is useful for historical value. Polyester-filled cartridges are no longer used.

Admin.

----------------------
There are various posts around about people sometimes experiencing a "burnt taste" and physical problems from e-smoking that have mostly been written off as caused by a faulty atomizer. That might be the case. But these problems might have something to do with the filter material used in cartridges.

The material is said to be the same as is used in aquariums for particulate filtration. Some e-smokers said they bought some "wool" to use to replace worn and discolored core filters. I bought some at a local pet shop. It's pure polyester. Now, that might not ring anyone's bell, but polyester produces extremely toxic vapors when heated or burned. Here's the first reference I found when searching the topic:

"Polyester is inexpensive so it is very common in industrial applications. The downside is the nastiness of the vapors -- very, very bad juju. You need good ventilation, and its a good idea to use an organic vapor mask so you don't have to inhale the polyester fumes even if you use it outdoors. Its possible to build up intolerance to the fumes and suddenly suffer an intense allergic reaction."

I kept going. Another reference I copied:

"Most polyester is manufactured using antimony as a catalyst. Along with being a carcinogen, antimony is toxic to the heart, lungs, liver and skin. Long-term inhalation of antimony trioxide, a by-product of polymer production, can cause chronic bronchitis and emphysema."

And does anyone remember famed artist and sculptor Niki de Saint Phalle. She died of emphysema on May 22, 2002 as a consequence of years of inhaling toxic polyester fumes while working on her art projects, according to her biography online.

Here's an example of polyester being used to coat a biological aquarium at a college:

"In 1979 the biological tanks at a college were coated with a polyester resin which the substrate was made of concrete. While the material was being applied the fumes were so bad all the students had to leave the building and the fire department was called. The EPA shut down the job and made them ventilate the building. The fiberglass and gel coat deteriorated in less then 60 days killing all the fish in the tank. Some people have complained of the toxic fumes from the polyester as far away as ½ mile from swimming pools being resurfaced in their neighborhood. These fumes have been known to set off pace makers and cause asthma attacks. (Polyester & Vinyl esters increase the heart rate and to some can shut the lungs down.)"

So this has given me some concern that it's not only the liquid that could pose unknown hazards from our repetitive inhalation. Are we not melting (vaporizing) some of the polyester core content as it touches the hot atomizer? Is that the cause of the "burnt taste." We can often see polyester fibers hung up on the atomizer. Maybe it's not enough to harm us. But someone somewhere needs to research exactly how much toxic polyester byproduct is in the vapor we're sucking into our lungs.

I'm reminded of the time I began cigarettes by smoking Kent "with the Micronite filter." That filter was supposed to be a miracle filter to remove health hazardous smoke byproducts without affecting taste. It's primary material was .. asbestos. It changed composition about five years after its introduction, after the deaths began.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Agreed with you Tb..my earlier experiments(refer needle project) actually try to separate the wool from direct contact with the atomiser head so to avoids plastic burns or meltdown...also been using a lot of different materials which are less hazardous(varying results..still in search)..

I knew about the dangers of the burnt smell..that's why you need to keep the atomiser clear of any wool strands and also bathing the atomiser will also helps to clear of any burnt wool on the heads...heads up people..do your daily checks and keep the atomiser and the cartridges as clean as possible..there are an inherent danger there.... :|

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
by jimldk on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:38 am

Agreed with you Tb..my earlier experiments(refer needle project) actually try to separate the wool from direct contact with the atomiser head so to avoids plastic burns or meltdown...also been using a lot of different materials which are less hazardous(varying results..still in search)..

I knew about the dangers of the burnt smell..that's why you need to keep the atomiser clear of any wool strands and also bathing the atomiser will also helps to clear of any burnt wool on the heads...heads up people..do your daily checks and keep the atomiser and the cartridges as clean as possible..there are an inherent danger there....

Don't like the sound of this. Now I have something else to worry about. Maybe dripping is "best" for now until some alternative is found for delivering the e-liquid safely.

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
dnakr said:
Don't like the sound of this. Now I have something else to worry about. Maybe dripping is "best" for now until some alternative is found for delivering the e-liquid safely.
Sorry to say this but it is true rachel.....Dripping/ Dry smoking IS the better option at the present moment provided the atomiser head is clear of any wool/burnt wool material....

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
by jimldk on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:51 am

Sorry to say this but it is true rachel.....Dripping/ Dry smoking IS the better option at the present moment provided the atomiser head is clear of any wool/burnt wool material....

Guess I am back to "e-liquid only" for now. This may be a silly question, but if we are squeezing the e-liquid from the cartridges, what are the chances of fiber being found in that. Should we worry about it?

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
dnakr said:
by jimldk on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:51 am

Guess I am back to "e-liquid only" for now. This may be a silly question, but if we are squeezing the e-liquid from the cartridges, what are the chances of fiber being found in that. Should we worry about it?
No fibre at all ...I always double check with a magnifying glass after the extraction method.....better be safe than sorry.... ;)

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
TropicalBob said:
We all appreciate your contribution on this, Dr. Loi. YOU are the true pioneer and our canary in the mine. Thanks for the information.
Thanks TB...still long way to go...BTW I am starting to use Vegetable Glycerin as a substitute for PPG...trial will start by next Monday..I am altering the component..I'll let you know later the outcome....

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Please do. I haven't posted the fact, but I've been vaporizing my glycerine and home-cooked tobacco liquid, without any noted consequence. No dry throat. No cough. Nothing this time. Same amount of vapor, too. And mine tastes better than E-Cig flavors! Look forward to your conclusions.

(Actually, I'm doing atomizer testing by devoting one atomizer to only factory propylene glycol liquid and another to glycerine-based liquid. I use a different one each day. I need to see if clogging is worsened with the home-brew/glycerine liquid).

UncleMidriff

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Does anyone actually know, like, fo' reals, what the material in the cartridges is made of? I'd like to think that the manufacturers of e-cigs wouldn't put the POISONOUSOMGThisWillKillYouIfitsBurnedAndYouInhaleIt stuff right damn next to a burn-y thing...

Let's say it's not polyester, but rather cotton, or wool, or anything else more innocuous sounding: what then? Presumably some of it burning so that the e-cig user ends up inhaling the smoke is less than ideal, but would it be as worrisome as inhaling the polyester death fumes?

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
TropicalBob said:
This much we can be sure of, UncleMidriff, it's not a natural material. Not cotton or wool. A synthetic, for sure. Most likely polyester. We all look forward to answers from manufacturers on the other thread. Meanwhile, if anyone can find a safe material that holds liquid, it will be Dr. Loi.
Thanks TB.....hope you don't put up too much expectation on me..There is at least 10 possible material to be used with a safer margin than polyester but all still need to undergo intense test and scrutiny...What Bro Dusty(I still can't bring myself to call him the Rat..hehehe :p ) has suggested was in the itinerary..but it doesn't hold back liquid well and seems to increase the heat faster than wool..there was some cartridge melting at the edges happens when the steel wool (inside the cartridge)overheats and during usage....

My suggestion to the manufacturers was a depot like liquid cartridges instead of polyester wool..I have a model like that..and I will post up the pics when I am ready to show how it looks like..future cartridges you can say...some of you will be familiar with it(..a hint..used in refillable ink pens )..later I will show you a sample(not a working model yet due to size problem)....

Anyway..FYI ..all burnt or heated up material which leads to carbon process will somehow be Carcinogenic..even our normal harmless bread if toasted till black or even BBQ meats all poses a RISK to all of us ..we live in a polluted world where there is a given 30 to 50 % of unseen carcinogens risk exposure..so... no excessive paranoia and fear needed here...just take precaution..As long as The Atomiser is kept clean and clear of any filter wool , you'll be fine....take my word for it.... ;)

QuietDave

Jun 16, 2008
Scotland, UK
TropicalBob said:
Are we not melting (vaporizing) some of the polyester core content as it touches the hot atomizer?

I had been under the impression that the atomizer worked by ultrasound, and not heat, although I guess when you make ultrasound it would probably be hard to do it without making some heat. Is this just marketing nonsense? Is it really just a little heater in there?

If you touch it, immediately after use, it doesn't seem hot at all...

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That's an R.J. Reynolds vaporizing cigarette, using tobacco, I do believe. The original Ruyan patents are online, linked from some old thread. Some of us have read them and they did call for ultrasonic atomizers, an LED screen, all kinds of things that we don't have. Someone decided to dumb-down the e-cig -- and we got the dumbest of the dumb-down ideas in the present product generation. Expect an ultrasound atomizer and a six-speed automatic transmission in the new and improved 2010 model.

moksha23x

Mar 6, 2009
I'm wondering if there has been anymore discovered about the possible "dangers in the filter"? I just purchased my first e-cig from Totally Wicked. I have a super-mini with a bunch of Blank carts to fill with liquid. Is it dangerous to use these filters whereas they might be heating and vaping Polyester? I'm Vaping because I'm addicted to nicotine and feel vaping is a MUCH safer alternative.......I really hope I'm not vaping polyester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread