Danger in using hybrid-no-top-cap-adapters? XXIX, Surfrider, 4nine, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smelly

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Central, FL USA
Hey all,
First - I heart my BCV BFM mod. It's the greatest. With a Zenith atty on top... man... just great. Here's the thing... Since these types of mods have the hybrid/atty adapters instead of a proper topcap/510 pin the atty threads come remarkably close to the top of the battery. What is the danger level of this?

I ask because I'd like to get one of the new Patriot 26650s but Patriots do not have an adjustable pin built in. My Zenith does so I extend it down a bit to provide a little space between the batt and the atty 510 threads.

I've seen pics of people using Patriots on XXIXs but such a small gap has me a bit worried. Should I be?

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
Hey all,
First - I heart my BCV BFM mod. It's the greatest. With a Zenith atty on top... man... just great. Here's the thing... Since these types of mods have the hybrid/atty adapters instead of a proper topcap/510 pin the atty threads come remarkably close to the top of the battery. What is the danger level of this?

I ask because I'd like to get one of the new Patriot 26650s but Patriots do not have an adjustable pin built in. My Zenith does so I extend it down a bit to provide a little space between the batt and the atty 510 threads.

I've seen pics of people using Patriots on XXIXs but such a small gap has me a bit worried. Should I be?

i made insulators out of the white spacers that come with magnets, drilled out the center & sanded down to fit; covers the whole top space......use them for my cheap Nemi hybrid adapters...works like a charm.

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
I use the $3 nemesis hybrid adapter for 2 nemi clones and they are great, no problem, just gotta make sure your pin is lower than the 510 connector.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

yep this is true, there is no prob for my adapters they work fine; the home-made insulator keeps me at ease :vapor:

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
I have them on both my Nemesis's with fogger v4, quasar, Helio, origen v2, all the attys I have I use the hybrid connector. I have a pic of what it looks like with n w/o...
my4uvery.jpg

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Get a flat surfaced conductor..I use an aluminum screw driver.. press the flat surface on pin to imitate battery, put one multimeter lead on conductor in contact with pin, and put the other lead on the body of the atomizer. This will show you if you have a short or not making direct contact with battery.

You can also put your lead on its side on the pin, and put the other lead on the body of the atomizer. I recommend using both of these methods to be safe...like people building in the lower deciohm range should double check and confirm with two meters to be safe.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
I didn't have it in at first but on another thread that I posted, someone mentioned the possibility of a short with the pin being screwed in and the hybrid piece on by itself.

Check out my other thread that I started and give me your feedback please. Not the first part, but page 3 or 4 where the discussion of the short starts. Thank you in advance!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...mech-mod-not-impressed-so-far-any-advice.html

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
It is called understanding Mechanics, clearances and electronics.

If you Don't.........then Don't!

.0001 clearance is good........................ as long as nothing EVER SHIFTS otherwise - DEAD SHORT!!!!

Properly set up, your Hybrid/Atty = a Proper Top Cap. A 510 top cap is a universal cap for any/all 510 devices, whether they fit decent or not.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
I've had absolutely no worries using the hybrid top cap on my BFM..The 28mn Tobh I'm using now has a screw protruding about 1mm for good connection clearance to the top of the battery... this makes this one of the hardest hitting mods I've ever had the pleasure to own..I'm looking to get a flatcap for it soon.
abe40aa8652666e415e4d46b894f34c6.jpg

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
I have no problems worrying about my battery shorting out using the hybrid top cap that came with my BFM..I do make sure the battery is not over tightened possibly putting a dimple in the top of the battery.. By the way, Bay City vapors has now available BFM 30 millimeter flat caps as well as a host of other parts for their mods on their website as of yesterday.. I ordered two flat caps for my BFM as they sell out fast

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread