stingray x mod hybrid adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh vap4life

Dec 14, 2014
I seen a post hear about the Stingray xmod hybrid adapter if the center post connects to the battery and doesn't stick out far enough the negative outer part can also make connection and short out your battery. me being dumb I've actually had this happen to me twice using the aspire Atlantis with the hybrid adapter. both batteries positive button was pushed in a little bit from over tightening on previous mods. I have seen batteries that actually have a button top that is quite stuck up like on the aw 18650. my question is will these batteries work a lot better for the hybrid adapter even if the center pin and 510 threads are relatively flush?

Last edited:

coolercoiler

Dec 5, 2014
uk
I seen a post hear about the Stingray xmod hybrid adapter if the center post connects to the battery and doesn't stick out far enough the negative outer part can also make connection and short out your battery. me being dumb I've actually had this happen to me twice using the aspire Atlantis with the hybrid adapter. both batteries positive button was pushed in a little bit from over tightening on previous mods. I have seen batteries that actually have a button top that is quite stuck up like on the aw 18650. my question is will these batteries work a lot better for the hybrid adapter even if the center pin and 510 threads are relatively flush?

a button top battery will do the same thing.
atty with a solid pin that protrudes is the only answer.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

No

it

wont

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
maybe these can help

1973500-1.jpg

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3023/10010809/1973500

josh vap4life

Dec 14, 2014
you want the positive pin on the atomizer to protrude at least 1 MM so the is no danger of the battery shorting against the (negative) 510 threading on any hybrid setup. i only use flat topped batteries (sony and samsung) and have no problems with shorts.

BTW , welcome to the ECF!

So I guess I don't see what the difference would be or the benefits of using flat top vs button top. Why do you use only flat top? Is it just personal preference?

josh vap4life

Dec 14, 2014
maybe these can help]

I can see how these would help but wouldn't these be the same as using the original 510 top. I thought the point of the hybrid adapter was to connect atty straight to battery for less voltage drop?

Oh its to keep your atty cool that's sick my Atlantis gets pretty hot this would help keep it cool

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
maybe these can help]

I can see how these would help but wouldn't these be the same as using the original 510 top. I thought the point of the hybrid adapter was to connect atty straight to battery for less voltage drop?

Oh its to keep your atty cool that's sick my Atlantis gets pretty hot this would help keep it cool

Yes the purpose is actually to keep the atty cool, but, it also has adjustable center pin; so maybe usefull if your topper doesn't have adjustable center pin to make hybrid contact to the battery

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
You really want to take the chance that the millimeter or two won't decrease over time and short that battery out? There's a reason the folks stressed that extended center pin ............. it's for safety ............. YOUR safety. I'd listen to the suggestions - these guys have a lot of logic and experience. If the contact is sufficient to 'weld' the atty in place thank to a big arc the violent discharge of the power of the battery could be ............. horribly messy should it detonate before you get clear.

Perhaps a lot of excess worry on my part ......... but again perhaps not? Is it worth the chance the chance??

From Senility Central ---- Old Man Donnie

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com
You really want to take the chance that the millimeter or two won't decrease over time and short that battery out?

Sounds like you are talking about flat top batteries because that's exactly what can happen with an RDA with an adjustable pin. How do you think a conventional 510 connector works to begin with? They work with flush connectors and that positive pin to pin connection is less than a millimeter from the negative threads. A button top battery (with a small enough button) would essentially duplicate that 510 connection. It's the flat top connection that is more dangerous in a hybrid. The problem is, I've yet to find a button top 18650 with a small enough diameter button. A 510 pin is roughly 4.5 mm in diameter so the button would probably need to be 3 mm or less in diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread