diluting pg/vg

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezyner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2012
United States
am I "supposed" to dilute my pg/vg nic base? with distilled water? does that just basically "stretch" my supply or are there other reasons? so far I just use a 50/50 pg/vg nic base without diluting, and really don't mind buying it, much much much cheaper than the smokes I quit buying. but just wondered if it helped with wicking, and also wondered what ratio to dilute if it is something I should be checking out. Do the pro vendors use water and dilute the stuff they sell? also, since the flavor additives thin out the base a little, you would have to take that into account also when using a recipe/calculator? as always, thanks in advance.

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
some people use water to dilute nic(because they want lower mg of nic) personally i would just use 0mg nic vg/pg myself for this other people might do it that have allergy's to pg so they cant use it to thin there VG down, personalty i have never used water in any of my DIY juices i just use a 75%pg 25%vg mix as a 50/50 mix is to thick for wicking with my tanks in the winter months, summer months i do some 50/50 but typically just stick to the 25/75 mix.

ajventi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
New Jersey
some people use water to dilute nic(because they want lower mg of nic) personally i would just use 0mg nic vg/pg myself for this other people might do it that have allergy's to pg so they cant use it to thin there VG down, personalty i have never used water in any of my DIY juices i just use a 75%pg 25%vg mix as a 50/50 mix is to thick for wicking with my tanks in the winter months, summer months i do some 50/50 but typically just stick to the 25/75 mix.

Sort of like how I put 0 weight oil in my truck for the winter oil change (which now I'm remembering is a month overdue)

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Don't think of using water as a way to dilute the nic strength (in mg/ml) of juice.
Thick juice can be thinned if it seems too thick to wick properly.
Thinning, with distilled water, or even ethanol, will be in the few percent level (maybe around 6% or less of the VG content of the blend).
6% will thin significantly but not dilute strength (or flavor) much at all.

Diluting 36mg/ml juice that is a little thick with 3% water will cut it to about 35mg/ml.

Last edited:

harlielover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Michigan
I am just getting started in DIY and use mainly C5 and T3 Clearomizers.

I like my juices a bit on the sweeter side, so was considering using a higher content of VG in my mixes.

What percentages of PG/VG do most of you find are most successful with wicking and flavor production, ie 70/30, 60/40 or 50/50

Would like to do the highest percentage of VG that I can without having to further thin with either water of PGA.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I was thinking more "insert favorite spirit" here.. Makers Mark would be awesome ;) Just wasnt sure it was safe. Also would there be enough alcohol to make you blow hot on a breathalizer? (not sure I spelled that right)

Makers Mark? You, sir, are a man after my own heart. Blanton's is another fine choice.

I can't imagine you'd vape enough juice to make a needle move with some good bourbon used as a thinning agent probably maxing out at 10% so it would take 10ml of juice to be 1ml of 40% PGA.

Provided that the measuring instrument doesn't register the other alcohols in the juice. (PG & VG are alcohols)

BakuPeg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Gainesville, Ga
Makers Mark? You, sir, are a man after my own heart. Blanton's is another fine choice.

I can't imagine you'd vape enough juice to make a needle move with some good bourbon used as a thinning agent probably maxing out at 10% so it would take 10ml of juice to be 1ml of 40% PGA.

Provided that the measuring instrument doesn't register the other alcohols in the juice. (PG & VG are alcohols)

Now I am curious. Maybe we can get one of our vapers in blue to test himself.

How much PGA can be added to a vape to make the exhale even register a blip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread