Direct Battery Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

erazzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
New Mexico
So this seems to be a new thing - or at least it is to me - that mech mods are starting to do away with the adjustable pins and the atomizer just makes direct contact with the battery.

I've used mechs for almost a year now, I own multiple. I spontaneously ordered a new one while making a fasttech order because it was cheap and i figured "Why not".

I have two mech clones from fasttech, never any issues. And I didn't really do my research on this new one I got, which was probably what caused my problem.

It is a Fortune mod clone. It has a magnetic switch and the battery makes direct contact with the atomizer. That is new to me, but I didn't think it was a big deal. Put the battery in, screwed it together, and the mod began to heat up rapidly. Of course I was like "Oh crud, I have a short." The mod wouldn't come back a part because of the heat. Luckily (thanks to my previous research on ECF) I know how to handle a short. Everything was fine, no venting or exploding, thankfully.

I haven't even bothered with the mod since. According to something I read online that mod requires button top batteries and I was using flat tops. Of course, fasttech said nothing about needing a specific battery when I bought it and the box has no directions (which is expected from Fasttech). So really, I should have done more research before blindly putting the thing together.

For future reference, how do you use these direct battery contact mechs? Am I doing something else wrong? Do they all take button top batteries? :confused:

EDIT: Also, I do acknowledge that this mod might have just been a badly made piece of crap. :p

Last edited:

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
The first mods that I saw with a hybrid connector were the BCV XXIX and Surfrider mods released in October 2013. You can also get hybrid adapters as aftermarket parts for other mods (I have a few 20x1 threaded adapters, and one for the Nemesis, and one for the Stingray). I think it's really best to use a button top battery and you need an atomizer with a center pin that sticks out past the threads. You don't want the adapter (negative) to touch the positive side of the battery and you need to be careful not to use an atomizer with a center pin that is flush with or recessed from the threads or you'll experience a hard short. Mods with hybrid adapters look really cool but you need to be careful with them.

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
exactly what was said above, i have a fortune myself and my atty pin sticks out quite a bit; i do use flat-top VTC5'S with it but i put a small o-ring on top of the battery that only leaves the contact area exposed....also check the magnets and make sure both aren't stuck together....mine came with 2 magnet pieces (blk derlin around the magnet) and i did not realize they were both together until i pulled them apart.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Yea its a cool idea to try and get a semi hybrid effect but they are doing a poor job of telling people an adjustable 510 should be used. This isn't a problem with real hybrid atty

Attachments

• dome_bw_009.jpg
    dome_bw_009.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 14

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
I havent seen the mod you got but i run nothing but direct conect mechs and drippers, the best one that i have found so far is the smpl by A MOD. I have 2 of them one in solid copper and one in ss.
With this mod u can run button top or flat batteries it wont matter all you do is adjust the positive connection on the rda down a little for the flat tops but bolth work just fine ... if your mod is shorting with a flat top you should try adjusting the pos pin down on your rds and if that doesnt work well then i guess the inside diamiter of that mod must be turned down with a lip on the inside top edge preventing the flat battery form seating only on the atty positive pin and it hits the lip instead causeing the short. In witch case there is nothing short of a lathe with a 1/4 in left hand boring bar that could help lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread