Mods without center pin; atty directly connected to battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again, I'm going to get a 18650 mod, this time i want something not telescopic and not kickable. Something that has a small height and a small diameter (for a 18650 mod)

Looking in fasttech i saw something: some of the mods have a hole instead of the 510 center pin. As i can read, this is meant for the atty to connect directly to the battery. And this will reduce the total height of the mod (in 15mm maybe?), but i'm concerned about security on those. My batts are flat tops (and i prefer them), and i don't see very well how they insulate the negative from the positive. Also, seems that maybe not evert atomizer will work on those, but the problem is if I could short my battery, which is something that seems possible.

I tried to google about this, but i could find only about the hybrid mods, which are something similar, but not the same. In some other thread in this forum, I read about less voltage drop on hybrids because of the less parts/contacts involved.

¿Anyone has tried those mech mods without center pins?

For example: $17.12 Zombi Style 18650 Mechanical Mod - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I'm going to purchase a Orchid V4 to be the atty of this new mod.
The idea is to get a stainless steel mod, 22mm wide; this way i will get a pretty APV where all parts have the same size and same color (more or less)
I'm not specially concerned on voltage drop because i'm going to use 0.7 ohms or higher.

But i don't know if i should go with a mech mod with center pin or without it. ¿Any suggestion?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The two I know about are the 4nine and the stingray X, but your concerns are valid ones. They don't work with every battery/atty combo so you need to read up about what issues users have had with each specific one. The discussion forums on the fasttech site for each item usually have good info from people who have used that actual item. I'm seriously considering getting one of the stingray X clones.

Cman1337

Apr 21, 2014
Portland, OR
Heespharm is right. As long as the center pin sticks out past the actual 510 connector you are good to go. On my copper quasar (Which almost all of them the center pin is supper recessed) my local B & M store actually took a hammer and screw driver and whacked it a few times to get it just sticking out to prevent shorts. This is the same method to change the insulators or center pin in a RDA, so I wasn't concerned that it was going to get damaged.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Over the past six months or so I've slowly converted/sold off all of my mods to make the switch to direct to battery connection, even if you're not subohming there are benefits such as reduced overall mod height and reduced voltage drop(longer battery life). I've got eight direct to battery mechs and I use all of them with flat top 18650 batteries, so long as you ensure that the positive pole of your atomizer protrudes about 1mm or more from the very bottom of the 510 connection you should have no issues. Also remember that you should always screw the atomizer on to the mod completely before inserting any battery when using a direct to battery connection as this well help prevent any sort of shorting or issues.

In my opinion direct to battery should be the only option with mech mods moving forward, I can definitely see it becoming more popular. Several months back you would be hard pressed to find a direct to battery mod, now lots of manufacturers are making them.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
Over the past six months or so I've slowly converted/sold off all of my mods to make the switch to direct to battery connection, even if you're not subohming there are benefits such as reduced overall mod height and reduced voltage drop(longer battery life). ...

Have you made an effort to test the improvement in voltage drop? Is it considerable on non-sub coils?

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
I have a copper 4nine that seems to work well with the Big Dripper.

Another choice is going for a hybrid mod. A little restricted since it only seems to work with the supplied atomizer.
Found 136 hybrid mod at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I have a Neptune Hybrid but was able to get an adapter to use my drippers.

I received everything weeks ago; here is a picture comparing the old one with the new:
IMG_20141208_131937-new.jpg

At the left is the old one with a 18650 battery;

At the right is the new Orchid + 4Nine using the same 18650 batt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread