Disappearing flavor after steeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeCS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
United States
So, just started out trying my hand at diy with a friend. And my first mix was TPA Ripe Banana, Bittersweet (chocolate), and some toasted marshmallow. I forget the exact %'s, I have them written down, but I believe it was 6, 8, 6... At first all I was tasting was the banana, it was extremely banana heavy in both taste and aroma, i dripped a bit at first, and all I got out of it was banana with a hint of something else behind it. I decided to let it steep for a few days just to see how the flavors mature, and now I'm getting a lot less flavor, I think I taste marshmallow a lot more, but from what i've read, marshmallow is more used as a sweetener then a flavor, the banana seems very muted and has went from being predominant to more of an undertone, and overall the flavor seems kinda week now especially compared to the fresh mix. The juice also appears to have darkened a bit in color as well. Just wondering if this is normal, a bad mix, time to swap for a new atomizer, or did I possibly screw something up. Like I said, this was the first attempt at diy, so just trying to get an idea of what's going on to improve future mixes... Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Tpa ripe bananna is one of my fav flavors. I mix in all vg @ 10% as a standalone. However whenever I have added either marshmellow or sucralose to it I have noticed the flavor declines after several days. I no longer use either of those with bananna and it keeps well for weeks without it. Not sure why but tpa ripe bananna, imo, doesnt like additives.

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
You really need to add a stabilizer to your mixes.

A stabilizer is some form of natural acid. Either Lemon juice, Malic Acid, Tartaric Acid or Vinegar.

Use Malic or Tartaric Acid as a 20% solution.

Use 2 drops of any of the acids per 5ml of mix. This will stabilize your mix, it will last longer holding its flavor and won't change color as fast.

Good luck,

Pete

yardbyrd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2012
Carrollton, Georgia USA
There is a thread in the DIY section that mentions a freeware program E-juice Me Up or you can google it. I mixed my first 4 flavors, earlier today, and ran my recipes through E-Juice Me Up first. It rejects any PG/VG levels that don't suit your recipe. It also shows proportions in ml and drops. After I got my recipes to an acceptable state with E-Juice me up I wrote down the recipes and then mixed 3 ml each of the four recipes I tried. One recipe did not come with the freeware program but it was not hard to find that recipe and enter it into the software. I am trying to wait until tomorrow to try these flavors...hope I make it! My first four flavor tries: Marksboro 36mg, Smooth tobacco 24mg, vanilla latte24 mg, and vanilla cotton candy 24 mg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread