Flavor Muting After Steep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muranternet

Jul 25, 2014
St Paul, MN, USA
I have a problem with some of my mixes, and I hope someone smarter than me can tell me what it is.

On a lot of my mixes, specifically Banana Nut Breads and some simple fruit mixes (Strawberry/Banana) it tastes a little harsh/weak out of the mix as expected, then after a steep it tastes great, and then after another week or so all the flavors seem to mute and I mostly taste the glycerine. This does not happen on some of my high-flavor percentage mixes like a clove absinthe and an 11 fruit mix (both close to 19%). Problem is on some flavors like a simple strawberry-banana I don't want high percentages or else it tastes quite soapy and alkaline. Is there a sort of rolling process in steeps where flavor mixing goes way up, then mutes down, and so I have to stay at high percentages?

The goal is to mix juices that eventually calm down into a stable state where they stay tasty until they're gone. Thanks.

muranternet

Jul 25, 2014
St Paul, MN, USA
Using too much sweetener or EM can cause flavor fade over time.

As does using too much flavoring.

Some citrus flavors will also fade, after like 3-4+ weeks.

I try to use zero to minimal sweetener and lower flavor percentages in general. The fruit fade may be what I'm experiencing. Is it better to go all-in on fruits and not taste for 4 weeks? I want a juice that stays decent for as long a window as possible so I can put it on a shelf and grab it when I feel like it, or send it to a friend who may put it away for a month before using it.

Heabob

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2014
Bay City, Michigan
Strawberry is a tough one for me because I hate them all so far, like Cherry & Raspberry, Yuk.

The fruit mixes normally don't need much steep time, unless you're adding Vanillas, Custards, or Creams.
Even then, a week should be good enough.

Maybe some of your flavors are old, or were already old when purchased.
Other brands of flavoring may work better for you, or mixing 2 different brands of the same flavor together.
Maybe certain recipes you make that fade should only be made when needed/wanted.

In my Orange Cinnamon Danish recipe, the Orange faded a lot after a month, but not much cinnamon left either.
Maybe some strange chemical reactions going on when certain flavors are mixed, or maybe even the nicotine oxidization.

Just a few more thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread