Disrespectful Little Punk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack NMI Stecker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2012
Not here to argue with anyone but *I* think it's just plain ridiculous to vape while standing in line at a store.

Whether it's against the law or not - it's just disrespectful to the people around you.

Would I have said anything to the guy? Probably not.

I don't see the need to force my habit on the people around me. That's just me though....

Edited for in appropriate content and trying to get around the text sensors.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I'm getting tired of being a victim.

That's a personal choice. One can choose the victim mentality i.e. self-defeating drama, or......something else.

I never feel victimized as a vaper. I practice my "habits" in moderation. I don't need to vape all the time and everywhere, any more than I need to eat all the time and everywhere.

I really do not see myself as an infant who needs a pacifier in my mouth 24/7.... I mean, as an adults, I have developed self control and control over my appetites and behaviors, I don't have to give in to every urge when it happens at inappropriate times or inappropriate places.

I agree with this:
"When you can truly understand how others experience your behavior, without defending or judging, you then have the ability to produce a breakthrough in your leadership and team. Everything starts with your self-awareness. You cannot take charge without taking accountability, and you cannot take accountability without understanding how you avoid it.”
― Loretta Malandro, Fearless Leadership: How To Overcome Behavioral Blind Spots And Transform Your Organization

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
Hmmm...interesting...

What's an appropriate place? An appropriate time?

To not vape freely; does it mean you're ashamed or embarassed about it?

Should it be treated like smoking since 'we' should and only vape in designated smoking areas?

Do we not defend our vapes not to be treated as a tobacco product since it's not the same?

Vape with nicotine - vape in designated areas; vape without nicotine - vape in designated areas. Where lies the distinction between a tobacco product if it is being treated the same? Where lies the distinction of it being better if it's being labeled the same as the worst?

and so on...and so on... (don't mind me...just a little rant)

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
The comedian Tater Salad said this and it applies to that kid. "you can't fix stupid".

It's easy to dismiss others as "stupid" when they don't confirm to our own ideals. There is something huge missing from this whole thread and many others like it:
The other side of the story.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I agree, don't vape inside a public place unless they specifically allow it like some coffee shops. Most people don't understand vaping, and can be offended easily. Don't make it hard for the rest of us!

If the public place isn't bothered enough to put up a "no vaping" sign, then how is it hurting you? I see a few places with signs saying "Please turn off your cell phone" or "No cell phone use, please", or similar. That's because the base assumption isn't "Cell phone use is evil, you should know not to do it", the assumption is that if they want to forbid it, they will let you know. Back in the day, before smoking indoors was illegal, there used to be signs about not smoking. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't put up a No Vaping sign if it was bothering them.

You claim that when I vape in public, I am "making it hard for you". How am I making it hard for you? What's the worst that could happen? The place could make a rule against vaping? Yes, they could. But you're wanting to make everyone treat it as if there is *already* a rule against vaping.

I'm fairly convinced that vaping in public helps people learn about it. If you stand outside and vape in areas set aside for smokers, you're not going to do much to educate John Q Public. And you're going to smell like the smokers you are hanging out with, which means that someone who knows you went outside to vape and came back in smelling like smoke is likely to think "That stuff smells just as bad as cigarettes".

I've also noticed a lot in this thread that people keep claiming "That's what kids do" and "He'll grow up eventually" and similar. I'm pretty sure I don't fit that "young hipster" thing you guys are picturing. I'm 53 years old.

I vape in public, in bars and restaurants and other places, pretty much every day. I've never had anyone complain in public, with the exception of a bar manager several years ago who sent a bouncer over to tell me "The bar doesn't allow smoking". When I went to talk to the manager, I didn't even get all the way to him before he saw my eGo and said "Oh, it's one of those, you are fine". And that's the *only* time anyone has shown any sign of having a problem with it in public.

Here on ECF, there are always people complaining about it. And they feel just fine with calling names like "punk", "stupid", "jackass", "d-bag", and worse. If I replied in kind, the mods would slap me down.

In the real world, it doesn't seem to be an issue as long as you use some common sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caro123

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
LOL not being funny but no random could tell me what I can and can't do either, especially if it's not even breaking rules/law or offending the person you were concerned about. That could be down to vaping being a lot more accepted in the UK with most places allowing people to vape indoors.

I think the bigger issue is the fact that one persons actions will lead to prejudice against an entire group of people, in the UK we tend judge a**holes on an individual basis, not come across one, and label anyone alike one too smh. Each to their own, as a vaper, i still ONLY represent myself, not every other vaper, just as i don't represent every male, or Jamaican, or short sexy person lool :D

Personally, I'd have to disagree. One person informing someone might stop another person from reporting. Keep in mind, whether or not it's legal or not to vape in public, he's doing something disrespectful. Belching is not illegal, and is a natural bodily function. But if someone was belching in my face, I sure would inform him to stop, even if it is totally safe to me.

Also, keep in mind, some people have allergies to PG. even Rip Tripper has a PG allergy and has trouble vaping. He has the same opinion as me, and I invite you to watch this.

As much as I dislike cloud chasing, and I'm not wild about his videos, he makes very valid points.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Hmmm...interesting...

What's an appropriate place? An appropriate time?

To not vape freely; does it mean you're ashamed or embarassed about it?

Should it be treated like smoking since 'we' should and only vape in designated smoking areas?

Do we not defend our vapes not to be treated as a tobacco product since it's not the same?

Vape with nicotine - vape in designated areas; vape without nicotine - vape in designated areas. Where lies the distinction between a tobacco product if it is being treated the same? Where lies the distinction of it being better if it's being labeled the same as the worst?

and so on...and so on... (don't mind me...just a little rant)

For me, what I personally am comfortable with at any given time in any given place. There is actually a difference between submission ans respect.
I may choose to vape as I shop, generally in a non crowded area but I see no need to Vape as I stand in a crowded line for 2-3 minutes waiting to get the hell out.
Those are my choices, mine alone and not the concern of anyone else, here or in government.:)

When should one do what?............. That is a question for each individual to answer for themselves. Then and only then will life get better.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
I am actually going to Reply one more time.
After reading through more posts, I feel inclined to share my opinion.
First, I live in Japan. Second, I Vape in Restaurants, and Even in the cash line of the McDonalds, and I exhale clouds.
I dont blow it in their face, because that is rude, but I will not hide my vaping in order to please a few uneducated folks, although no one has batted an eye at my vaping thus far.
I spent too long ashamed of my smoking and having to go out and get a smoke in. I spent way too long, and two benfits of not smoking any more is that I can vape in public places I cant smoke in, And I WILL not be ashamed.

If they ban vaping everywhere, I will still Stealth vape (or not so stealth depending on the place) on Principal alone.
As A smoker I bent over and took one up for every person, in consideration because they didnt like the smell, and because it was harmful to their health. Here, I can even smoke in restaurants, but when I am with my friends, I dont...out of consideration. Now the least anyone can do is have some consideration for those of us who decided to give up the habit... and Vape instead. It is not harmful...and the most smell is maybe a faint fruityness. So suck it up princesses. Vape on. Vape in front of people. educate the world.

WE ARE NOT SMOKERS, AND WE ARE PROUD!

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
As A smoker I bent over and took one for every person, in consideration because they didnt like the smell, and because it was harmful to their health. Here, I can even smoke in restaurants, but when I am with my friends, I dont...out of consideration. Now the least anyone can do is have some consideration for those of us who decided to give up the habit... and Vape instead. It is not harmful...and the most smell is maybe a faint fruityness. So suck it up princesses. Vape on. Vape in front of people. educate the world.
WE ARE NOT SMOKERS, AND WE ARE PROUD!

You are making assumptions that they like the way your vape smells, and that they don't have any allergic reactions to your vape. I had to stop using one juice because others would complain about the smell of pancakes..... and I wasn't even vaping it. This was out of their consideration.

if there's quite a bit of people around me in an enclosed area, I do not vape. in the Supermarket late at night when I rarely see another customer, yes, but lightly (no clouds) outdoors, anything goes, just don't blow it in their face. In my own house, yes, but I don't blow clouds around my children. Late at night like this, yes. Yes, we have central air, and yes, I have a Hepa filter on my HVAC.

Last edited by a moderator:

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
I'm in two minds about this.

Part of me says that the kid was indeed disrespectful; I wouldn't do what he was doing. It's true it might give 'us' a bad name too I guess.

Another part of me says that he's right: it's not illegal. We know it's not harmful as well, so why should we walk on eggshells? If we hide away, even when the law doesn't require it, wouldn't that suggest to others that even we think there are issues with respect to 'second hand vapour'?

...don't know.

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
Absolutely agree... not to mention you never know what somebody around you might be a allergic too. If vaping is aloud in a bar and people enter knowningly, that is different then some d-bag vaping in line of a grocery store and possible exposing somebody that needs to buy food to something they might allergic to.

I only vape in my house and the houses of friends that have zero problem with it. I don't even vape in the houses of those that permit me if I am running a sub-ohm coil and pushing larger then average clouds. I don't feel the need to push my habit on others.

It's call common courtesy and being respectful to those around you, and not some self center, feeling of entitlement (because it's not illegal yet!), d-bag.
I'm the same way, I always ask first. This has served well in opening a door to educating people who know nothing about e-cigs also. Ultimately, I can push clouds if I choose, but look at it like this... If I do this in public, could someone who knows nothing about vaping see this, and then associate e-cigs with the mental picture I placed in their head? Could that person then tell others what they saw and could that lead to a city ban on e-cigs indoors. I think more people need to understand this is new to a lot of people. Most only know the disinformation presented on the news and by the government. This is not a time to "show off" in public, but to educate.

NathanielFT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Personally, I'd have to disagree. One person informing someone might stop another person from reporting. Keep in mind, whether or not it's legal or not to vape in public, he's doing something disrespectful. Belching is not illegal, and is a natural bodily function. But if someone was belching in my face, I sure would inform him to stop, even if it is totally safe to me.

Also, keep in mind, some people have allergies to PG. even Rip Tripper has a PG allergy and has trouble vaping. He has the same opinion as me, and I invite you to watch this.

As much as I dislike cloud chasing, and I'm not wild about his videos, he makes very valid points.

Can't see the point you're making? If someone reported the guy, he would be approached by store security and asked to stop, he would then stop and go outside. If he didn't he would get himself in trouble, not every vaper in the world, right?

Belching is nasty, farting is nasty, vaping is not, so i'm struggling to see the comparison between the two? There was no mention of this guy blowing smoke in peoples face, just that he was smoking in line. It seemed the only person who was offended was some self proclaimed vaping policeman thinking he was protecting the 'vapers movement and reputation' by approaching him 'as a fellow vaper' to warn him of his wrong doings lol.

Also, Rip tripper is not Jesus and his opinion is no more of a game changer then yours or mine, so his opinion holds no more value to me then you telling me the same thing.

I think people should just live and let live, and mind their own business. I'm sure if someone has a vape allergy or a no vaping policy on their premises, they will say something and i'm sure 99% of people old or young are decent enough to put it away for just a moment.

I personally would either laugh or if it's been a bad day I wouldn't take kindly to some random approaching me to preach about the moralities of indoor vaping lol.

I hope this doesn't come across as punchy or anything as that's not my intention at all, it's we are all entitled to our own opinions and I won't be persuaded away from my own views into your or OP's way of thinking, as you guys probably wouldn't sway to my views.

I done with this stupid thread now, live and let live, vape on!

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
It's not illegal .
Vape on. As someone mentioned, people used to be allowed to smoke in restaurant and bars. Granted I won't vape in someone face.... But....there is no sense acting like it's a bad thing. Someone really doesn't like the smell. I'll leave the area. If it's a small room, leave the room. I will not be forced to vape and inhale carcinogenic stuff by vaping in the smoking area. I will not be forced to act like a smoker when I am no longer one.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
So don't vape anywhere smoking isn't allowed. Don't vape were smoking is allowed because we just don't know what's in these things and someone might be allergic.
Rip Tripper says we shouldn't even vape around other vapers because someone can be allergic and he's got a YouTube channel so he knows.
Don't vape around kids because they might be idiots and not know the difference between a giant mod and a tiny cigarette and take up smoking 15 years later because of you.
Don't vape in your house because there has to a film produced by the PG/VG.

So what's the difference if they ban vaping and how some people propose we act?

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
[...] as a vaper, i still ONLY represent myself, not every other vaper, just as i don't represent every male, or Jamaican, or short sexy person lool :D

Nice theory, only it doesn't work that way. People see an idiot doing something, and assume all people who do the same thing are idiots. It's just human nature.

Case in point, I'm a cyclist. I stop at red lights and stop signs. But I can't count the number of people who've told me "I hate cyclists: they're a public danger, they don't respect anything on the road."

Really? All cyclists?

Well, that's what people do: they generalize. One idiot blowing through a red light in front of 15 motorists gives us all law-abiding riders a bad name for said 15 motorists, who will no doubt tell all their friends and family members what idiots cyclists are.

Likewise, one ...... who vapes where he shouldn't gives us all respectful vapers a bad name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread