Do any websites sell the Igo-L with a pre-drilled air hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigB_117

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2009
I've been looking for a basic easy to setup dripper to use on my Provari for tasting new juice. Obviously I won't be doing any low ohm stuff on the Provari but it would be fun to play with some builds and try to get it to blow some decent clouds. The Igo-L seems to be a popular setup and it's nice and cheap, but I'm afraid I'll screw it all up if I try to drill it myself, all I have is a cheap cordless hand drill.

I've come across the Igo-W for sale with 2mm holes drilled in it but I'm not sure I need the holes that big and I'll probably be building mostly single coil stuff until I get my hands on a mech mod someday so I don't really need two air holes either. Maybe building the Igo-W as a single coil and blocking off one hole would be an option?

Thanks!

broseph

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
okc
I've been looking for a basic easy to setup dripper to use on my Provari for tasting new juice. Obviously I won't be doing any low ohm stuff on the Provari but it would be fun to play with some builds and try to get it to blow some decent clouds. The Igo-L seems to be a popular setup and it's nice and cheap, but I'm afraid I'll screw it all up if I try to drill it myself, all I have is a cheap cordless hand drill.

I've come across the Igo-W for sale with 2mm holes drilled in it but I'm not sure I need the holes that big and I'll probably be building mostly single coil stuff until I get my hands on a mech mod someday so I don't really need two air holes either. Maybe building the Igo-W as a single coil and blocking off one hole would be an option?

Thanks!

I've purchased rebuildables in person and got a hole drilled in the cap at the same place. I'm not sure if they can drill it and then ship it (Who knows what archaic law they must abide by?), but you may want to call or email a place to find out if they would accommodate such a request.

Here is where I got my stuff drilled: Home - Just Vapez

Also, please feel free to yell at me or edit my post if that is not an approved vendor. I'm only using it as an example.

cassandraschild

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Springfield VA
So... Noob-let to RBA's question. I just got my Igo-L and did my first wrap. Works great. In doing my research on Igo-L's I keep seeing people talking about drilling them, like this thread. I have not come across this answer though (maybe I'm searching the wrong things): Why drill them? Obviously it's for more air intake, but how does that boost performance or taste? If it's just cloud chasing, not interested. I am wondering if it improves flavor though.

BigB_117

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2009

BigB_117

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2009
So... Noob-let to RBA's question. I just got my Igo-L and did my first wrap. Works great. In doing my research on Igo-L's I keep seeing people talking about drilling them, like this thread. I have not come across this answer though (maybe I'm searching the wrong things): Why drill them? Obviously it's for more air intake, but how does that boost performance or taste? If it's just cloud chasing, not interested. I am wondering if it improves flavor though.

I'm pretty much a noob myself but everything I've read says that the stock air hole is very small and I hate a tight draw. I'm mostly looking to improve the draw but I've also read that a larger hole will increase the vapor production. I'm not sure how it effects the flavor.

gordian

Jun 19, 2013
USA
You might also be able to just buy one and take it down to your local hardware store. For something so small they might not even charge you to drill it if they have the bit size you want. I don't have a shop in my garage and I've taken wood and metal down to Home Depot and they've drilled and cut for me at times. Whether they'll do it and whether they'll charge you at HD is hit or miss and very staff dependent I've found.

dimo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I would not buy it pre drilled, especially if you've never used one. Easy to make a hole bigger, not easy to make smaller. You may find that the stock hole will work fine for you. You would regret it if it came with too large of a hole for your preference.

I left my IGO-L with the stock hole and it was very airy to me right off the bat. More than any clearomizer or carto I have tried. I use mine on a provari for testing juices.

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Good idea. That would give me a lot of options to use for the future. Looks like the single hole caps are out of stock at the moment but I'll keep an eye on their website for new stock.

They were in stock when I checked last night. Maybe they were snatched up right after I posted the link.

I'm pretty much a noob myself but everything I've read says that the stock air hole is very small and I hate a tight draw. I'm mostly looking to improve the draw but I've also read that a larger hole will increase the vapor production. I'm not sure how it effects the flavor.

You are correct that it will increase vapor production, but it comes at a price though. The larger the hole, the more vapor, but flavor falls off ever so slightly depending on how large a hole you have... Mine are 1/16" and haven't noticed a difference in taste at all. I have heard when you get up in the 5/64"-3/32" diameters you will notice a difference though.

You might also be able to just buy one and take it down to your local hardware store. For something so small they might not even charge you to drill it if they have the bit size you want. I don't have a shop in my garage and I've taken wood and metal down to Home Depot and they've drilled and cut for me at times. Whether they'll do it and whether they'll charge you at HD is hit or miss and very staff dependent I've found.

This can be done with just a regular hand drill, a dremel, or in quite a few cases, a corkscrew has been used successfully....

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I would not buy it pre drilled, especially if you've never used one. Easy to make a hole bigger, not easy to make smaller. You may find that the stock hole will work fine for you. You would regret it if it came with too large of a hole for your preference.

I left my IGO-L with the stock hole and it was very airy to me right off the bat. More than any clearomizer or carto I have tried. I use mine on a provari for testing juices.

This is why I suggested he buy an "extra" top cap that is drilled larger, so he at least has the stock one to go back to if it is too big!!! Remember, what doesn't work for you might for others and visa-versa... That is the most singular important thing I have learned in my vaping journey to date...

BigB_117

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2009
Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to go with an Igo-W with stock holes, and an extra cap with 1/16th holes to start with. I can block off one hole if needed until I can get my hands on a single hole cap.

What size wick and wire should I order to start with? Keep in mind that I'm on a Provari mini so I'm pretty sure I have to stay above 1.5 ohms. Based on what I know, I believe a 2.0-2.5ohm coil is probably what I should shoot for to start with. Maybe a micro coil would give me the best performance?

Thanks again!

koski88

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Boca Raton, FL, USA
I bought my IGO-L from the local vape shop, it actually came with a small predrilled air hole. But the problem was the location of the hole, it sat just above the groove where it sits into the o-ring, so what happens is when I put the cap all the way down, almost half the hole is blocked by the deck of the atty obstructing airflow. In other words, the hole was drilled out too low on the cap. So if I want full airflow I have to keep the cap slightly off the atty (about halfway off the first o-ring, for full airflow, even after I drilled out a bit more. I would have been much happier if I bought one that did not have a predrilled airhole.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to go with an Igo-W with stock holes, and an extra cap with 1/16th holes to start with. I can block off one hole if needed until I can get my hands on a single hole cap.

What size wick and wire should I order to start with? Keep in mind that I'm on a Provari mini so I'm pretty sure I have to stay above 1.5 ohms. Based on what I know, I believe a 2.0-2.5ohm coil is probably what I should shoot for to start with. Maybe a micro coil would give me the best performance?

Thanks again!

Good to hear you pulled the trigger on something. As to the wire, I only use 28g kanthal for all my setups, as do a lot of people. You could do a 10-12 wrap micro coil, (1/16" doa), w/ 28g and be in or around 2Ω. I think you can fire down to a 1.2Ω coil on a Provari. There would be some info in the Provari threads somewhere, I'm sure.

do you need a special drill bit? I attempted to drill out mine (igo w) and the bit just wouldn't cut through. I have a dremmel if anyone thinks that will help.

Any standard HSS drill bit will work...

I bought my IGO-L from the local vape shop, it actually came with a small predrilled air hole. But the problem was the location of the hole, it sat just above the groove where it sits into the o-ring, so what happens is when I put the cap all the way down, almost half the hole is blocked by the deck of the atty obstructing airflow. In other words, the hole was drilled out too low on the cap. So if I want full airflow I have to keep the cap slightly off the atty (about halfway off the first o-ring, for full airflow, even after I drilled out a bit more. I would have been much happier if I bought one that did not have a predrilled airhole.

Sounds like you got one of the cloned Igo's... I drilled out my Igo-L to 1/16" and still its above the base rim. I have read a few posts where people had the same problem you have encountered and the consensus was they were clones. Did they buy them from FT? You could always find someone from a machine shop or somewhere to braze your holes closed and then drill new holes where they should be. I've heard of that being done.

BigB_117

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2009
Good to hear you pulled the trigger on something. As to the wire, I only use 28g kanthal for all my setups, as do a lot of people. You could do a 10-12 wrap micro coil, (1/16" doa), w/ 28g and be in or around 2Ω. I think you can fire down to a 1.2Ω coil on a Provari. There would be some info in the Provari threads somewhere, I'm sure.

Sounds easy enough. I'll grab some 28g with my order and go from there.

koski88

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Boca Raton, FL, USA
Sounds like you got one of the cloned Igo's... I drilled out my Igo-L to 1/16" and still its above the base rim. I have read a few posts where people had the same problem you have encountered and the consensus was they were clones. Did they buy them from FT? You could always find someone from a machine shop or somewhere to braze your holes closed and then drill new holes where they should be. I've heard of that being done.

Yeah I thought that too, I did think it was a real one though it came in an IGO box which included a small section of wick and wire with an extra screw post, but I'm not sure. Thinking about getting an IGO W anyways,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread