Quick IGO-L question .. (Drilling out air hole)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Just got my 'Youde' IGO-L in the mail today. Really nice little rda. I am going to use it for sampling the DIY juices I make.

I installed a 1.5 ohm coil made with Kanthal 28 AWG and am feeding it 10 watts.

The only problem I have found is the air draw was really restricted, so I drilled out the little air hole 1 size larger ... I used a 1/16" drill.

Now I find that the draw is a little too loose for mouth to lung use, but a little tight for straight lung hits ... I still think I am going to just leave the hole at the size it is right now.

My question for you folks is ... Did anyone else feel the draw was kind of tight on these as they come from the factory, and did you feel the need to drill your air hole out slightly?

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
My first one was just right, and I couldn't understand why everyone was drilling them out. I bought a second one a few months later and it was extremely tight on the draw, so I HAD to drill it out.

Second one, in addition to needing to be drilled, has a terrible 510 connection that's loose and floppy until cranked down...it won't even thread onto my ohm checker, just falls to the bottom. I was as disappointed with the second one as I was happy with the first.

Stacy1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Brunswick,GA,USA
I received an Igo-L yesterday(my first RDA). Built my first coil, which ended up 1.6ohms made from 28 gauge kanthal, with some boiled organic cotton for wick. The draw was WAY to tight. Drilled it out to 1/16 and really couldn't tell any difference. The next size bit I had was a 3/32 so I drilled it out again with that one. I don't do lung hits, and now the draw is extremely to airy. Im having to position my finger over the hole and use it as a carburetor to be able to use it. Went ahead and ordered an Igo-W last night because I do believe I have ruined my L making the hole too big

derogg

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
Socal
I received an Igo-L yesterday(my first RDA). Built my first coil, which ended up 1.6ohms made from 28 gauge kanthal, with some boiled organic cotton for wick. The draw was WAY to tight. Drilled it out to 1/16 and really couldn't tell any difference. The next size bit I had was a 3/32 so I drilled it out again with that one. I don't do lung hits, and now the draw is extremely to airy. Im having to position my finger over the hole and use it as a carburetor to be able to use it. Went ahead and ordered an Igo-W last night because I do believe I have ruined my L making the hole too big

As said earlier in the thread you could fill in the hole and drill a new one if it's that bad.
-Dirk

Stacy1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Brunswick,GA,USA
Ya stock was way tight for me too. I really like this atty with a 1/16 hole. If you don't like it you can fill it and drill it smaller.

What do you use to fill the hole? I too got the Igo-L as my first RDA and after drilling it to 1/16 it was still too tight(so I thought). My next size bit was 3/32 and it is way too much. Have more RDA's in the mail but I don't want to trash this one if there is a way to fix it

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
What do you use to fill the hole? I too got the Igo-L as my first RDA and after drilling it to 1/16 it was still too tight(so I thought). My next size bit was 3/32 and it is way too much. Have more RDA's in the mail but I don't want to trash this one if there is a way to fix it

I have used JB weld and re drilled my Nimbus clone. Used tape inside and buttered up the hole, then re-drilled to a size smaller once it cured.

JBal4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Kalamazoo, MI, United States
The draw is way too tight from the factory, but when doing mouth hits it is a pretty fine line between too tight and too loose. drilling for lung hits is soo much easier if you go too big you can build lower ohm. next time you drill for mouth hits try using something like these
dremel.jpg

use one of the pointed ones. drill it a little bit try it out for a few, then if needed drill it again. using these lets you slowly get to a larger hole with one bit, rather than changing through bits and having to change sizes according to the bits you have access to. be careful with what you use to fill the hole, keep in mind that your juice will be in contact with it constantly, as well as the effects of the heat on various materials(glue used on tape)

Good luck

JBal4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Kalamazoo, MI, United States
I've never seen anything like what you are showing in that pic. What are they? I do have a dremel tool set that I've never even opened. There may be something in it I can use. I'm moving more towards RDAs so would really like to get a set of whatever those bits are that you have. Thanks

Dremel is perfect, that is what I use most of the time. the bits in the picture are diamond bur bits. go slow or the bits will get dull fast, also you can use water to keep the bits from getting hot. just put a couple drops on the hole you are drilling. you can get the bits at almost any hardware store, just be sure you get "high speed" bits to use in the dremel. my dremel has had more use in the last 3 months with rda/rba's than it got in the last 3 years.

i think i paid like 7 buck for my bits at menards, snapped the tip off 2 so far but not too bad since i have used them on around twenty some drippers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread