E-cigs especially helpful to smokers with history of recurring relapses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Successful smoking cessation with electronic cigarettes in smokers with a documented history of recurring relapses: a case series

Pasquale Caponnetto1*, Riccardo Polosa1,2, Cristina Russo1, Carmelo Leotta3, Davide Campagna1,2

Journal of Medical Case Reports 2011, 5:585 doi:10.1186/1752-1947-5-585
Published: 20 December 2011

Abstract

Introduction: Smoking cessation programs are useful in helping smokers to quit, but smoking is a
very difficult addiction to break and the need for novel and effective approaches to smoking cessation
interventions is unquestionable. The E-cigarette is a battery-powered electronic nicotine delivery
device that may help smokers to remain abstinent during their quit attempt. We report for the first time
objective measures of smoking cessation in smokers who experimented with the E-cigarette.

Case presentation: Three Caucasian smokers (two men aged 47 and 65 years and one woman aged
38 years) with a documented history of recurring relapses were able to quit and to remain abstinent for
at least six months after taking up a cigarette.

Conclusions: This is the first time that objective measures of smoking cessation are reported for
smokers who quit successfully after using an E-cigarette. This was accomplished in smokers who
repeatedly failed in previous attempts with professional smoking cessation assistance using the usual
nicotine dependence treatments and smoking cessation counselling.

http://www.jmedicalcasereports.com/content/pdf/1752-1947-5-585.pdf

This article is well worth reading in full. It cites several of the studies that have already been reported here (e.g., Etter and Bullen's survey).

Last edited:

MrsCasey

Pink Spot Fanatic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Excellent Case Report! I love that they are were not afraid to discuss the FDA Press Conference and Lab Analysis and they were not afraid to mention that the FDA Analysis reportedly found DEG in 1 of 18 samples but that they failed to point out the amount detected was a non toxic quanity. I love that they state that none of the 15 other studies done on the ecig cartridges found any DEG!

This is a fantastic report and it verifies something that we as ecig users already know, ecigs help smokers quit smoking and they do so in a much higher percentage of people than those methods currently approved for cessation.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I just spoke with Dr. Polosa. He told me that he received a very nice email message from someone who uses an e-cigarette (my guess would be that it was an ECF member) thanking him for the work he is doing to study e-cigarettes and promote their use.

The good doctor commented that it is letters like this that make all the hard work worth while.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I just spoke with Dr. Polosa. He told me that he received a very nice email message from someone who uses an e-cigarette (my guess would be that it was an ECF member) thanking him for the work he is doing to study e-cigarettes and promote their use.

The good doctor commented that it is letters like this that make all the hard work worth while.

That was me! He sent a very nice email back.

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
I'm really proud of my 69 year old mom and her physician. Mom has tried to quit before, but recently was diagnosed with a skin cancer inside her nostril that will be surgically removed. She has been a full on smoker for over 55 years, and she's retired which gives her more free, unstructured time making it harder to quit. However, this recent scare prompted her to drastically reduce her smoking from over a pack a day to one pack lasting over 2 weeks. She's using an Ego vape and really liking it. For the first time she says she is disliking the taste of smoke compared to her vape.

She recently met with her doctor to review her blood work (which was excellent!). Mom had gotten off of statins due to side effects and replaced it with a natural formula calld Heart Savior. She didn't tell her doc what she had done until her blood work came back with really good results (even better than with statins). Her doctor was supportive and encouraged mom's use of natural supplements. Just today mom met with her doc and told her she had been quitting smoking using her vape and the doc was familiar with 'those electronic things'. She said she had been hearing 'a lot' from patients about those and thought it was a good idea.

Every time a physician hears something about e-cigs from patients who are showing positive results it benefits all of us.

D103

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
cedar rapids, iowa
Off Topic - I apologize, but I wanted to get this in somewhere. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all fellow vapers and friends of our cause. I sincerely hope the holidays find you and yours well and happy. It has been an amazing year with a lot of battles fought and some impressive victories. The dedication and hard work of so many people is inspiring and as we've continued to grow so has our list of supporters in the medical field, public health, government, education and the media.
Thank you all.

Johnny2puffs

Moved On
Oct 9, 2011
Pity I don't know her email address as I want to add this:
I had complex tachycardia and heart palpitations (missed heart beats) at least once a month for years and I found that this occurred after a heavy smoking bout. 40 cigarettes for the day.
Seven months ago I bought an ecig and have not had 1 tobacco cigarette since as I love the taste and feel of my ecig.
I was a heavy smoker for 33 years and tried patches, inhalers etc with no effect. I smoked with the patches on.
My Cardiologist found no physical problem with my heart and suggested I stop smoking as this is the problem due to the muscle irritants in tobacco.
Seven months later and NO cardio problems although I chain smoke my 16mg ecig. Not 1 episode of tachycardia or palps in 7 months. Not 1 late nite visit to hospital or 911 calls thanks to ecigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread