Eheim filterpad mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuaa

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
I wonder if they react to the e-liquid in any way. If you are worried about them getting hot, the polyfill is a great safe guard, but does it add any chemicals to the juice?

as previously suggested..its best that you dip the foam in boiling water for a few mins (or even hours)...this should somehow remove any checmicals if there are any...then again...the filter pads are intended for use in aquariums...and it supposedly stays in the filter canister for a very long time...allowing the aquarium water to constantly be exposed to the filter pads...should the pads contain any form of toxic chemicals...it would surely end up in the fish tank...and would eventually kill the fishes...

so bottom line is..i dont think it contains any toxic chemicals that would mix with the juice...

the main issue is really whether or not it will heat up (in the cart)...and if it does heat up..will the heat result to any chemical/physical change that would result to toxic fumes....

and as i mentioned above...i dont think filler inside the cart is actually exposed to any heat..for as long as it does not touch the atty...

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
as previously suggested..its best that you dip the foam in boiling water for a few mins (or even hours)...this should somehow remove any checmicals if there are any...then again...the filter pads are intended for use in aquariums...and it supposedly stays in the filter canister for a very long time...allowing the aquarium water to constantly be exposed to the filter pads...should the pads contain any form of toxic chemicals...it would surely end up in the fish tank...and would eventually kill the fishes...

so bottom line is..i dont think it contains any toxic chemicals that would mix with the juice...

the main issue is really whether or not it will heat up (in the cart)...and if it does heat up..will the heat result to any chemical/physical change that would result to toxic fumes....

and as i mentioned above...i dont think filler inside the cart is actually exposed to any heat..for as long as it does not touch the atty...
Yes, pretty much this.

jedrojam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Central USA
I realize that the foam and pads are different, and have edited my above post to fix my mistake. I have both and I highly doubt the pads are non-toxic and the foam is. They are both used as components of the aquarium filter assembly.

Close to a month of steady use of the foam plugs and they are not deteriorating at all that I can see. No strands sticking to the atty like the pad material, no melting (I don't run my atty the temperature of a stovepipe :) ), no negative affect to taste of liquid if washed well prior to use.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
Well, after reading 1000's of post on this forum, I finally found something that made me want to post a comment. Bought the Hot Magnum Foam today, washed it well, put it in my 510 cart and added 20 drops. This works perfectly for me! No bad taste. No leaking. Just great flavor and vapor down to the last drop!
I've been vaping for almost 2 months (quit analogues completely). I've tried every mod in this forum. This works best by far!
Thanks!:)

DelMartian

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
I bought the blue foam sleeve for the H.O.T. Magnum, type "U" for my Protege with a 901. IMO it far superior to the PTB method in terms of effectiveness and prep time.

I like vaping, but I am always looking for a way to make it easier and even more inexpensive. Here is a neat trick I tried with the blue foam that worked out well.

I cut the seam off of the sleeve using the paper cutter at my office. Then I unfolded it, slid it back into the cutter, measured 5/8", and pulled down the handle. Smooth as a mayonaise sandwich. Repeated it three more times. Now I just have to experiment with the length to try to find what works best, and I have three long strips I can easily cut. Fast and simple.

One more thing, this foam method is incredibly inexpensive. I paid $8 for three sleeves @ Petsmart. Doing some back of the envelope calculations, and assuming you use the the foam material for three days of vapin' and then toss, your cartridge material will end up costing you about $.0075 per day or $2.73 per year.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
Well, I finally replaced my first cart after a week of vaping on it, and many many juice refills on a 510, and I am a heavy vaper. I probably could have washed it out and used it even more, actually. Didn't notice any filler melting at all.

I made up six more carts using this mod, and I think that will last me a very long time. I'm not even filling five of them with juice because one lasts me so long.

After trying every cart mod out there, I can safely say that for me, this is the absolute best.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
can someone please post a picture of the blue foam filters and maybe even a link....i live in a small town and the closest thing to a pet shop we have here is wal-mart....thanks

SwCTevLk_TSGaQyb2ZgYClJLihkySkoKrPT1i81TTPWKk1PzUs31kvNz9TOL9TNzE9NT9QOAikLzMktSU_RDzA0NTI0N403NTAzNGBgA

Marineland Foam Sleeve for H.O.T. 3 Pack - Fish.com

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
Hey all, I just saw the ADP (??) Mod idea and thought I'd add this to our little forum.
I've been doing this for quite awhile now for my 510 and thought I'd share. I fill the cart with tons of juice and with a small piece of blue foam, basically plug the end. I use the same size as before (a little larger than the cart) just snipped the point off, lasts forever! When I top off I just smash it down, fill and pull it back up. This eliminates the air bubbles. The foam is so springy it stays in place, no spring needed. We should give the Blue Foam a name...lol BFM, blue foam mod! By far the easiest! Glad this finally caught on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread