Evolv DNA 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I was thinking of buying a dna 30 from fasttech (I would get dna 20 but oddly they are more expensive). However I really want the passthrough charging capability, so I'd like to also get the Evolv chip. My question is, can I mod a HANA DNA 30 with the Evolv chip as long as I don't vape over 20 watts while it's charging? Or can I only use the chip in an actual DNA 20?

I've been an iTaste MVP 2.0 user for a while now and I am used to being able to charge & vape at the same time. But now my iTaste's 510 threads are pretty stripped and I'm looking for a new mod. I am not really familiar with the DNA 30's and I don't understand them very well. If I buy one from FastTech does it already have the Evolv chip built in? Is the Evolv chip only meant for people who build their own DNA 30 from scratch?

I can't find the link right now, but I read somewhere that the Hana DNA 30 cannot charge AND vape at the same time, unless you buy one of those chips. It was not clear whether they meant buying a chip to build your own DNA 30 or buying the chip to replace the existing one in your pre-assembled DNA 30.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
Moved from Batteries & Chargers forum to Variable Voltage APV Discussion

In theory, you would be able to replace the clone board with an authentic Evolv board if that's what you really want to do. The "passthrough" function on the genuine DNA boards isn't a true passthrough, just FYI, you're still vaping off the device's battery. If you vape while plugged in it will interrupt the charging process momentarily to supply power from the battery and then resume charging when you stop pressing the button. I might be wrong on that, but I believe that's the way it works.

I am not familiar with the clone's electronics at all, so I can't offer you any insight into that. Sorry

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
I've been an iTaste MVP 2.0 user for a while now and I am used to being able to charge & vape at the same time. But now my iTaste's 510 threads are pretty stripped and I'm looking for a new mod. I am not really familiar with the DNA 30's and I don't understand them very well. If I buy one from FastTech does it already have the Evolv chip built in? Is the Evolv chip only meant for people who build their own DNA 30 from scratch?

I can't find the link right now, but I read somewhere that the Hana DNA 30 cannot charge AND vape at the same time, unless you buy one of those chips. It was not clear whether they meant buying a chip to build your own DNA 30 or buying the chip to replace the existing one in your pre-assembled DNA 30.

The only device that I know of currently on the market with a legit Evolve DNA 20 is the Innokin SVD 2.0. Those FT clones of the Hana don't have legit Evolv boards in them.

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
You can vape on the FT imitation dna30 while it is charging on the usb. I did it all the time until the usb socket broke. DreamWithin is correct that it isn't a true passthrough. No high wattage mods are or can be. The 500ma limit on usb 2 or even the 2 amp limit on some chargers would only give you 4 watts on a one ohm coil. They drive the coil with the battery. The usb charger just sits there and tries to charge the battery. Vaping while charging can interfere with some details in the charging curve for the battery. It could keep switching between constant voltage and constant current charging mode. This isn't really a problem and you won't notice anything happening.
You don't have to change anything. You can just pop a battery into the ft clone and vape away. Connect it to the usb cable when you feel like it. Vape with it plugged or unplugged. Plug it in overnight to give the battery a full charge. The biggest problem is the weak usb connectors that do snap off easily if abused. Even that isn't the end of the world. You can get a new usb board from evolv for ~$8 but it is a pain to install through all the hot melt glue. Or, you can just swap batteries when they get low and use an external charger. That's what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread