Former Smokeless Tobacco (dip) Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deacon000

Jul 11, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK, USA
Hey ECF'ers. I've been trolling for a few weeks and thought I'd join the party.

Almost everyone on here is a former smoker, but I wanted to hear about experiences from any former dippers out there. I was doing over a can of Copenhagen a day and wasn't necessarily looking to quit. Some friends of mine were vaping and thought I'd give it a try, just for an occasional change from the Cope. Long story short, I got an eGo and two days later realized I was on the same can of Copenhagen! When I had a nic craving, I wanted my vape. Even typical situations where I would always dip, like after a meal or browsing the web, I just wanted to vape, not dip. My jaw was a little sore for a while (still is occasionally) but my gums feel so much better! No more checking cups to see if I should drink from it or spit in it.

Anyway, just wanted to hear from fellow former dippers and see what your experiences have been.

BTW, my last can lasted me 1.5 weeks and I haven't even thought about buying another since.

deacon000

Jul 11, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK, USA
I haven't been out hunting or fishing since I quit, so I'll have to see how that goes. I really enjoyed dipping, it was just that it controlled me instead of the other way around. I don't think I'll have any issue with an occasional indulgence - kinda like anything else in life right? Just make sure you're in control of it instead of it controlling you.

Boyz-Mom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Be careful with that occasional thing. I quit smoking many times. With all three of my pregnancies and many other times. The longest time was for 5 years. The story was the same each time. I would go out drinking and think, I have this under control. One time won't hurt me. And lightning fast, I was hooked again! I have not drank since I started vaping (only one week) but I know that when I do I better have a full charge and a full tank to keep me safe from that little voice that says one wont hurt.

wilfonzo

Jun 27, 2013
Clearwater, FL
I quit dipping and vaping has filled that gap. I tried the lozenges because you can put them in like a dip, but they were just not cutting it and were quite nasty tasting. Now the times when I used to go for a dip, driving, yard work, ect. I just reach for the vape and am happy with it. I haven't accidentally drank any dip spit since, which is always a plus.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Congrats on weening off the chew. I dipped green griz & skoal for about 5 years. Smoked for almost 20. Wish I had found vaping or a least taken it seriously when I quit last year. Instead I went back to smoking. Then vapor 2 months later. It's nice not having to drag around a disgusting spit bottle. My mouth doesn't hurt like H anymore.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
I quit dipping and vaping has filled that gap. I tried the lozenges because you can put them in like a dip, but they were just not cutting it and were quite nasty tasting. Now the times when I used to go for a dip, driving, yard work, ect. I just reach for the vape and am happy with it. I haven't accidentally drank any dip spit since, which is always a plus.
Ah drinking out of the spit bottle. Gagging and puking in my mouth just thinking about it. My husband grabbed an old mt dew spit bottle out of his farm truck. It had a bloated dead baby mouse.....in the summer been there a week, and drank it on accident. *****bar.......*

Tripster

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Ah drinking out of the spit bottle. Gagging and puking in my mouth just thinking about it. My husband grabbed an old mt dew spit bottle out of his farm truck. It had a bloated dead baby mouse.....in the summer been there a week, and drank it on accident. *****bar.......*

Reading this while I nonchalantly eat some cookies and laughing but I understand, been there done that.

Moses195

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2013
New Mexico
I dipped for 33 years. I smoked for 25 years. Quit cigs in 1996. I bought a cheap diposable last December and really liked it. Bought another one a few weeks later. Then on Jan. 2 I found a guy here in Abq. and bought a little 650mah battery and CE2 clearo and a bottle of 24mg China juice. It was all over from there! 6 months later I still dip 3 times/day because I want to not because I have too. I like dipping. But I went from 1 can a day to 3 dips! I vape about 300 hits/day. Just got into RDA's and I'm happier than ever before. For those that get tired of a single flavor I highly suggest getting a RDA. A few drops of this and a few drops of that insures that every few hits you will be getting a slightly different flavor! Perfect.

Dana

Great to hear all of these stories!! It's been one month now since I started vaping. I've dipped a few times, because I wanted to. Had one last night because I couldn't vape for several hours and started getting severe withdrawls. Tried to chain vape but didn't get it done - I had to get that instant hit from a dip. But for the most part, I don't miss it at all - in fact I don't even think about it. I've had a full can sitting around for almost 3 weeks and it's more than half full.

I think my biggest challenge is going to be flying. I've had a pretty quiet month but I'm typically on a plane 2-3 days a week. Going without nic for more than 2 hours is going to be painful. May have to keep a can in my bag for long flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread