Freemax starre pro/IPV 4S settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFNate

Jul 27, 2015
Hi I'm Nate... New to this forum and been vaping for 3 months now... I had an IPV 2 with a starre tank and absolutely loved it. Juiced mainly Jimmy max vg and had great clouds and flavor. I sold my old setup to a friend and decided to try TC. I picked up and IPV 4s with the new starre pro tank. Seems alright (once I figured out the top screw leak issue the hard way). But I can't seem to find the right joule/temp ratio or settings to give me the clouds and density that my old kanthal .25 coil put out in my starre tank at 40 watts. Does anyone have experience with temperature and joules? I'm running 40 joules at 450 F with a .125 coil and getting crackles and not as much vapor production. But that seems to be the best setting I can find. Maybe TC just isn't for me. Also what's the highest temp I can go safely without burning through a coil? Thanks in advance

FFNate

Jul 27, 2015
I know this isn't posted in the right place but I had no choice since it was my first post as a new member. This is driving me nuts not being able to find a sweet spot. I think I'm gonna give up on TC and go back to the kanthal .25 coils which always hit great and produced great clouds without burning my tongue and popping/crackling the whole timw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Try upping your joules and temperature. The type of juice you use will dictate how high you can set the temperature. I vape fruit flavored juices and for all my temp control tanks (Atlantis 2, Triton, and Freemax Starre Pro) I set them all to be 45 watts/joules and 520 degrees. For nickel wire, it will start giving off some nasty stuff once you exceed 350 degrees Celsius (about 662 degrees Fahrenheit). This is why temp control mods won't go past that. Even with power hungry coils like the Freemax, going even higher on the wattage really doesn't increase your vapor production since you're going to hit temp protection anyways. Higher wattages will just mean that you hit the preset temperature quicker. As the coils gets older and gets more and more gunked up, I find that I have to lower the temp setting otherwise the vape starts to taste a little burnt.

Now if you're using a Subtank Mini, you have to set your temp lower and wattage lower as it doesn't wick as well.

FFNate

Jul 27, 2015
Ok... I've been researching like crazy to see when the cotton could burn and had no clue. I definitely miss my big dense clouds from the kanthal coil but I've noticed a bigger improvement around 45 and 500. But wasn't sure how high I could go on the temp without burning a coil up. I do get how TC is basically a limiter for safety but man it's just not the same hit I'm used to. At low joules I have to hit forever and at 45 it's pretty warm. On my old starre at 40 watts I could take huge satisfying hits without heating it up to much and a perfect vape temp. I get the temp control but I'm just not impressed. One last thing... Do you know why it "pops" or "rattles" so much? Not at the lower joules at low temp but it happens a ton at higher joules and temp

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Ok... I've been researching like crazy to see when the cotton could burn and had no clue. I definitely miss my big dense clouds from the kanthal coil but I've noticed a bigger improvement around 45 and 500. But wasn't sure how high I could go on the temp without burning a coil up. I do get how TC is basically a limiter for safety but man it's just not the same hit I'm used to. At low joules I have to hit forever and at 45 it's pretty warm. On my old starre at 40 watts I could take huge satisfying hits without heating it up to much and a perfect vape temp. I get the temp control but I'm just not impressed. One last thing... Do you know why it "pops" or "rattles" so much? Not at the lower joules at low temp but it happens a ton at higher joules and temp

How hard are you drawing in? The pop and rattles means that your juice is wicking faster than your coil can vaporize it. What I have noticed in the past is that this happens more when your power is too low, not too high. If you're happy with your Starre at 40 watts, then you should use that as your starting point. Then adjust your temp to control the vape.

From what I understand, DRY cotton will burn at 420 degrees. However, the cotton wick in our tanks are not dry, they're saturated with juice, so all that juice would need to be evaporated before the cotton wick will start to burn.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Do you normally take long hits? Or short hits? With TC, the goal is that you want to set the temp and joules such where you end up hitting temp protection right at the end or a little before the end of your hit. You could always try it at 30 joules and 520 temp to see if you enjoy the hit more.

FFNate

Jul 27, 2015
I did try that to make it more progressive but it was still popping like crazy. Happens in the middle of my draw... I take long deep hits (sounds horrible haha). Lung inhales. Like I said before... My old setup never did that. I'm wondering if it's just a dud coil... I broke it all down and cleaned it under hot water. Dried it pretty good and I'm gonna let the rest air dry overnight. Tomorrow I'll throw in a fresh .125 coil and break it in slowly. If it pops tomorrow then I'm just gonna go back to kanthal .25 coils and give up on TC. I have a spare starre that's needs a replacement glass as well. Waiting for sweet-vapes to have them back in stock. Then I can try a ni200 coil in that and see if it's just how the pro tank hits. I appreciate all the help btw. Just kills me that I sold my old setup for 80 and invested more for this and I feel like I downgraded... We'll see

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I did try that to make it more progressive but it was still popping like crazy. Happens in the middle of my draw... I take long deep hits (sounds horrible haha). Lung inhales. Like I said before... My old setup never did that. I'm wondering if it's just a dud coil... I broke it all down and cleaned it under hot water. Dried it pretty good and I'm gonna let the rest air dry overnight. Tomorrow I'll throw in a fresh .125 coil and break it in slowly. If it pops tomorrow then I'm just gonna go back to kanthal .25 coils and give up on TC. I have a spare starre that's needs a replacement glass as well. Waiting for sweet-vapes to have them back in stock. Then I can try a ni200 coil in that and see if it's just how the pro tank hits. I appreciate all the help btw. Just kills me that I sold my old setup for 80 and invested more for this and I feel like I downgraded... We'll see

Are you using the stock coils? Or did you wind your own? Also, what ratio juice are you using? I just received my Starre Pro today and I'm using the stock 0.25 ohm coil and I'm not getting a single pop. I generally do about a 3-5 second inhale, although I have tried some 8-9 second inhales before. I'm currently on my 3rd tank on the same coil. I just tried different wattages (I'm using the tank on a Sigelei 75) and these are my results:

20 watts - mild hit......have to take at least a 5-6 second hit in order to get a nice hit and decent amount of vapor. No pops, no gurgles.
25 watts - still pretty mild, but a slight improvement. No pops, no gurgles.
30 watts - flavor is a bit muted, definite improvement in vapor production. No pops, no gurgles.
35 watts - flavor is better, vapor production is a little better. No pops, no gurgles.
40 watts - flavor is a bit more intense, vapor production is about the same. No pops, no gurgles.
45 watts - flavor is about the same, it might have plateaued, vapor production is about the same. Doing about 2-3 second hits now. No pops, no gurgles.
50 watts - flavor is a bit more intense, vapor production is about the same. Vape is starting to get a bit warm. No pops, no gurgles.
55 watts - flavor is the same, vapor production is the same. Vape is really getting warm. No pops, no gurgles.
60 watts - No change. Seems to hit almost instantaneously. Vapes warm. No pops, no gurgles.
70 watts - No change. Vapes warm and can't do longer than 3 second hits. No pops, no gurgles.
75 watts - No change. Vapes warm and the drip tip starts to heat up where I can definitely feel the temp increase on my lips and this is with the top airflow open. No pops, no gurgles.

Can't go higher than 75 watts as this is the maximum wattage of my mod. The juice that I am currently using is a 60VG/40PG juice and it seems my sweet spot for this flavor is about 50 watts, although I am keeping it about 45 watts. This saves a little battery life and keeps the vape nice and cool.

FFNate

Jul 27, 2015
I'm using the stock .125 coil. I tried it this morning and it was hitting great at 30 joules and a temp of 420. I think I know what happened... When I was using it the first day I didn't know about the on off switch on the top and it leaked out the bottom twice. I figured out how it works and haven't had a leak since... But I bet the air holes in the bottom of the coil got fluid in and on them. Causing it to do that

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
450F to 475F should be a good temperature, but I'm not sure that 40 joules is enough for this tank. Your mod can go up to 50 joules, right? Try running it there instead.

The popping is usually because the coil is oversaturated with juice. What juice mixture are you running? The Starre really needs a high VG juice, at LEAST 80% VG.

FFNate

Jul 27, 2015
Ok so new coil at 45 joules and 480 temp finally ruining pretty good.... Until I dropped it walking to the pool with towels. Shattered the glass. So I had two new replacements coming in already from sweet vapes for my starre v2. Turns out that it's the same replacement glass for the pro!!!! So now I'll have both up and running. Ordered a mechanical tube mod from fast tech for my regular starre. Also they have the updated airflow controller (V3) for 8 bucks for the original starre. Thanks for all the help guys. Completely average, maybe I'm putting to many drops on the top of the coil when I'm priming it and putting in a new one. I'll try only one drop on top and the side holes

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Ok so new coil at 45 joules and 480 temp finally ruining pretty good.... Until I dropped it walking to the pool with towels. Shattered the glass. So I had two new replacements coming in already from sweet vapes for my starre v2. Turns out that it's the same replacement glass for the pro!!!! So now I'll have both up and running. Ordered a mechanical tube mod from fast tech for my regular starre. Also they have the updated airflow controller (V3) for 8 bucks for the original starre. Thanks for all the help guys. Completely average, maybe I'm putting to many drops on the top of the coil when I'm priming it and putting in a new one. I'll try only one drop on top and the side holes

When I got my Starre Pro, I actually didn't even prime the coil. Just put it in there, did a few dry pulls with all the air openings closed, and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

FFNate

Jul 27, 2015
Ok so I went back to the kanthal .25 coils and I'm loving life again. Great vape production without the rattles. I've been rocking 40 watts in both the starre v2 and the starre pro. But here's my new dilemma... I bumped it up to 50 watts with my IPV 4s and it had a burnt hit. Actually burnt up both coils/tanks trying it at 50 watts... How is this possible? I was able to hit my IPV 2 mini at 70 watts without any burnt taste... Does it have to deal with the dual batteries in the IPV 4s? Or is 40watts 40 watts? The coils are suppose to handle up to 100 watts. I'm running max vg jimmy shurb in the v2 and 80 vg 20 pg in the starre pro. Anyone have a clue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread