Getting liquid in my mouth from my 510

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordterrin

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Australia
Hi there,

So I have found I prefer to direct drip over using carts. I find it has more flavor. My only problem is that sometimes, regardless of how I am holding the cigarette, I get a bunch of liquid on my lips, I can taste it because my lips numb a tiny bit and are oily. I'm not sure if this means I am dripping too much liquid into the atomiser, (usually I do 2 or 3 drops, and when the taste and vapor production begin to fade, I add another 2 to 3 drops,) or if I'm doing something else wrong.

Can someone advise?

thanks,

Brian

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Hi there,

So I have found I prefer to direct drip over using carts. I find it has more flavor. My only problem is that sometimes, regardless of how I am holding the cigarette, I get a bunch of liquid on my lips, I can taste it because my lips numb a tiny bit and are oily. I'm not sure if this means I am dripping too much liquid into the atomiser, (usually I do 2 or 3 drops, and when the taste and vapor production begin to fade, I add another 2 to 3 drops,) or if I'm doing something else wrong.

Can someone advise?

thanks,

Brian

If there is any blockage in the airflow then you'll be creating a bit of a vacuum in the atty chamber and you'll tend to suck up the juice before it's vaporized. And if you're dripping it is more than likely that the atty and perhaps air intakes need cleaned out more often. Consider blowing the atty out - perhaps even a vodka soak and also consider 2 not '2 or 3' drops. If you're going only to where you get the first detection of a drop in flavor (a good plan, imo) then there still is some juice there to where another 2 drops may be ok but 3 too much.

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
try just adding 1-2 drops when topping up, rather than another 2-3. (edit: Kent said it better and faster!) You can always add more, it's harder to subtract it out. Also try drawing more gently when you inhale. You don't have juice on the mouthpiece from dripping, do you (assuming you aren't using an empty cart as Ejoker mentions)? sometimes I can get a bit of juice on the "rim" of the atty on my 901 from resting the edge of the dropper on it, which can transfer juice.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I am using an empty cart on the end. So maybe I am sucking in too hard? (I get that cigarettes...) I'm not sure how to clean the atomiser... so I haven't done that yet since I got my 510 (5 days ago,) I just keep adding more juice....

Best not to overclean. First take the atty apart from the batt and cartridge and blow it out from the batt (threaded) end into a paper towel until no more wetness. Next, because you might have some clogs, blow from the cart end and then cover the hole in the threaded end with your finger and blow and suck (no jokes please ;-) to clear the intakes - small holes on the side of the threads.

If you're getting an obstruction there, then and only then, you'll want to soak the atty in a high proof pure grain alcohol (not isopropyl or rubbing) - vodka, everclear because it dries quickly. Some advise water and other stuff, I do not. Let it soak in the clear, uncolored, unflavored vodka for about 10 minutes and then blow it out as above. You should be good to go. Let dry and then put 2 drops on the atty bridge and vape.

lordterrin

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Australia
wait, like - get some vodka, and SOAK the atty, like.. submerge it in vodka? I imagine that ruining it. :) I found, while you guys were busy thinking of awesome responses, to put a few drops of vodka onto the atty, while it was attached to the battery, but with no cart on the end, then power it up and blow into it... this created a lot of vapor, and seemed to kinda clear things up. I've been getting better vapes since then. I've also gone down to 2 drops at a time and that seems to help.

I think I want the SAME hit that I'm getting on my first few hits, when the juice is very strong, so once that starts to wain, I add more juice - but I guess I'm overfilling.

The information on cleaning the atty is definitely helpful though. This is one of my last major remaining questions on the ecig.

(The others being - how long should an atomizer last before I replace it with a brand new one? and - How long will a battery last before it doesn't recharge anymore and I have to buy a new one?)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
lordterrin:wait, like - get some vodka, and SOAK the atty, like.. submerge it in vodka? I imagine that ruining it.

It doesn't ruin it. Many of the ejuices are cut with PGA/vodka. Submerging the battery in anything will likely ruin it.

I found, while you guys were busy thinking of awesome responses, to put a few drops of vodka onto the atty, while it was attached to the battery, but with no cart on the end, then power it up and blow into it... this created a lot of vapor, and seemed to kinda clear things up. I've been getting better vapes since then. I've also gone down to 2 drops at a time and that seems to help.

Good.

I think I want the SAME hit that I'm getting on my first few hits, when the juice is very strong, so once that starts to wain, I add more juice - but I guess I'm overfilling.

Most likely.

The information on cleaning the atty is definitely helpful though. This is one of my last major remaining questions on the ecig.

Only do that when blowing it out doesn't work and don't soak for too long - there is threading/wicking that is in and around the coil and metal mesh and you don't want to disturb that on a 510.

(The others being - how long should an atomizer last before I replace it with a brand new one?

In 9 months I've never had an atty just die on me - I've burnt out two by not paying attention on a 5V and one when a switch went bad on a Protege. I 'injured one' - I still use it - by pulling on a thread on the bridge that I thought was cart filler but was the wicking - heavier thread of the atomizer. I stopped as soon as I realized it but it was a bit late - good dripping atty though ;-)

and - How long will a battery last before it doesn't recharge anymore and I have to buy a new one?

I've lost two auto batteries by dripping (don't drip on autos ;-) and have none die on me BUT, I've been vaping on mainly mods for months now so I have a few mega batts going and am testing a regular auto batt on a 510 'disposable' - now up to 32 recharges, btw. So I'm not using the regular batts like I did when I first started. But ymmv. Some people are glad if they get a few weeks out of an atty and a few months out of a batt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread