Not open for further replies.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
Golden Greek AFS for GGTS prototype (GGTS-AFS ‘Grande’) Initial Impressions

I managed to score from Imeo a prototype of his Automated Feed System for his GGTS mod for early testing and review, which I am giving the code name of AFS-Grande.

Seems that our intrepid Greek modder friend was about to release this model when an outcry from some in the GG community on the ECF forum caused him to go back to the drawing board and redesign the mod. The complaint was that the mod was too big, and his revamping it to make it smaller delayed its release for at least an additional month. The Grande is officially NOT for sale.

Fortunately, I was able to somehow talk him into getting my hands on a prototype, which should be the same as the official production version but for its bigger collection tank.

The Grande is an all aluminum mod that is specially designed to go on top of the existing Golden Greek Telescopic System, or GGTS. Unlike the AFS v2 (or ‘all mods’ [AM]) version, it shouldn’t work on any other product, even older GG models. It consists of a cap comprised of two pieces (like the AM) that will hold a special AFS mouthpiece or 901 whistle tip cartridge. The cap screws onto the main juice tank, which in turn screws into a bottom collection tank that in turn replaces the existing top cap of the GGTS. The air control ring (CR) is located at the top of the collection tank. Like it’s older AM brother, the Grande uses gravity and air pressure to automatically deliver the right amount of juice into a special 901 atomizer made by imeo (iatty) or a modified KR808D-1 cartomizer. When describing the Grande, I should also point out that as a prototype it does not have the final buffing and shine, nor the laser etched GG logo or wings. And unlike the AM, the o rings are just barely visible on the outside of the mod if you look hard enough; it almost appears to be a single piece of aluminum.

The Grande IS massive. Assembled, it is almost the length of the GGTS with a 18650 battery or two CR123’s. It is the same diameter as the GGTS (a bit larger than the AM) to hold more juice and roughly ½ to ¾ inches taller than a GGTS bearing the AM variant.

Another thing that stands out on the Grande’s appearance is the prominent bezels scattered throughout the outside (and inside) of the mod. Any part that has to be fastened by hand has deep bezels to assist in gripping the components. As a result, assembly and disassembly of the Grande is much easier than the AM. AM owners who have struggled with juice slicked hands to loosen and tighten the smooth brass piece of that mod will appreciate this touch. The centerpiece inside of the tank is also bezeled, which makes attachment of the atty or carto onto it, and its installation into the bottom of the tank a snap. The air Control Ring on the bottom of the collection tank is a large bezeled piece that screws down to close off the air inlet holes or adjust the draw on the Grande.

Besides the unit matching the size and aesthetics of the GGTS, the other major difference between the Grande and the AM is the liquid collection tank on the former. Myself and some other AM owners have reported leaking or seepage issues when using that mod with attys (but not cartos). Fixes or tweaks have included removing or adding o rings or adding polyfill or bluefoam disks around the atty inlet hole on the 901 or around the air inlet holes on the AM’s brass base piece. Personally, I disliked these fixes as I felt they detracted from the draw, vape and taste of the mod.

Imeo’s conclusion was the leaks were caused by inconsistencies with attys (attys with a lighter draw were deemed more likely to cause seepage and leakage) and differences in air pressure, and were to a certain degree unavoidable. His solution was to replace the top cap of the GGTS with a collection tank and to move the air inlet holes and control rings onto to it in order to contain, rather than prevent, leaks. In theory, any errant juice would gather in the collector tank to the point where it would equalize air pressure between the two tanks and stop the leakage or seepage.* The juice tank can be removed from the collector tank so that any juice inside the latter can be poured into another container for later use.
Theory aside, how does this work in reality? So far, not bad. Yes, it can leak out the air inlet holes if you hold the unit horizontally; closing the control ring prevents this. During my first day of use, a full tank seemed to seep into the collector tank within half an hour but hasn’t repeated itself since. I’m not sure if this is break in period or a change in barometric pressure. There is some minor seepage to date, but not nearly as bad as on the AM with attys. It’s time to drill some cartos again to see if they’re as stellar on the Grande as they are on the AM. Overall, I’m a heckuva lot more confident about sticking a Grande in my inside suit jacket pocket without a hankie than an AM.

Finally, how does it vape? Without hesitation, I would have to say very well. The experience matches that of the GG AFS AM, which had been my favorite setup. Like the AM, the Grande handles both high and regular voltage vaping equally well. Likewise for PG, straight VG or any mixture thereof. Modified cartos and the possibility of soon using other attys with some or no modification promise to make this mod more useful and versatile still. Overall, the unit feels very solid and reliable, even matching the durability and robustness of the GGTS itself. In every way, it is a mod worthy enough to sit with pride upon the already venerated GGTS.
And I like the Grande just the way it is. It is almost like a Field Marshal’s baton when combined with the GGTS. Henceforth, you may refer to me as Vape Marshal Clyde. I may have to get another so I can cross them in my hands across my chest and be the Vape Pharaoh.

*And I’m wondering about the effects of climate and barometric pressure upon this mod and the AM. Yesterday was dry, hot and sunny. Today-this being Oklahoma-it is cool, humid and overcast. As for its enhanced performance of today over yesterday, I’m wondering if this was difference, rather than learning to use the mod better or a break in period.

Attachments

• Photo-20on-202010-07-01-20at-2014-09.jpg
    Photo-20on-202010-07-01-20at-2014-09.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Photo on 2010-07-03 at 10.25.jpg
    Photo on 2010-07-03 at 10.25.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 902
Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Got some more cartos and the dremel out to replenish my supply. Was just about to go through the metal on the second one when my 11 year old son steps behind me and starts talking excitedly about the avatar, airbender, airguitarist, something or other movie that we talked about seeing this weekend.

I jump as the drill penetrates the metal, goes completely through it, snaps in half and sends the carto across the room. :mad: Fortunately, his stepmother was there to save his life.

My revenge will be dragging him to the hardware store in the rain for more drill bits before we see the movie (who knows, I may even bring him back).

And I did get one carto holed and onto the Grande. No leaks, seepages or dribbles whatsoever now. I still had some juice drops on it when using iattys, probably from absent mindedly vaping it at too much of an angle. Still better than the AM, though.

Like the AM, I still prefer KR808D-1 cartos at 6v, though the 6v iatty ain't bad. And unlike the AM, I can easily replace a carto with an iatty in short order and not have to worry about it potentially drenching a jacket pocket.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Clyde....when are you going to stop dilling those cartos and buying drill bits and get a centerpunch? It is so much eaiser and you can control the depth and size of the hole my friend. Just giving you a hard time:laugh:

Thanks for the great review my friend...always a pleasure to read your reviews and posts. Happy 4th!

Embarrassing to admit, being the son of a hardware salesman (God rest his soul), but I don't know what a centerpunch is.

I did just buy a dremel workstation, which has a drill press.

<looks at wikipedia entry on 'center punch'>

Oh! I think using the dremel's grinding tool will do the same thing, won't it?

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Sent you a pm clyde....Its actually called a finishing nail punch.

Got your PM, and I'll have to see about getting one. For $2.47, why the hell not?

But if I've got to grind a tip on it, wouldn't a circular punch work just as well?

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Took the advice of jbtx and went to home repo this afternoon to get a nail punch and ball peen hammer. Went across the street to my tool geek neighbor, who was able to sharpen a nice point on the end of the punch, and it works pretty darned easy.

Only trouble is, there's no air flow at all on them. I can hear them firing when put in the afs, but no airflow and no vape. Today being the fourth and with kids, etc., etc., I don't have the time to take the units apart for an in depth analysis. But if anyone has run across this before and could offer some insight, I'd appreciate it.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Oddly enough, I'm still having some seepage with cartos on the Grande. Even though the same setup is leak proof on the AM. Wierd.

I posted a query on the gg am carto thread asking about my lack of airflow problem, and hope to get some responses on it.

My intent is to have a bit of a quick, kind of lazy day at the office and try messing with the new cartos again when I get a shot. Not sure if the new method of tapping is messing the cartos up, if the lack of a afs mouthpiece is the culprit, or if I'm screwing them on the base too tightly or not tight enough. If the sharpened punch method can work with them, it would be great; significantly easier to make the holes than drilling.

My other question is if two smallish holes on either side of the carto would ensure saturation or could somehow flood it.

What perfect weather for the fourth, in retrospect. It rained most of the day, but let off late in the afternoon and evening, and started again this morning. So, we got to have our cookout and fireworks with zero fire danger or it getting too hot.

It was nice to see my older friend in the country when shooting off the fireworks, and he was great about helping my son with the bigger items. Turns out his kids and grandkids weren't able to make it for the fourth, and my son is still missing his paw-paw. Everything worked out just perfect.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
Clyde, if I am reading you correctly (please correct me if I am not) you are saying after punching a hole, to modify your carto for the AFS, you are not getting airflow.

if that is the case then one possible problem is that you have moved the "center wrap" off center...

If you look inside your carto.. you will see what looks like a "paper" tube and part of the element... if that is off center it will affect your airflow.... and can be easily fixed by using a toothpick or better yet a pin... to center it, which should align everything for a straight open path to see out the battery connection hole of the carto...

This is just a guess .. since when I normally messed with cartos, during intended usage, this occurred occasionally.

hope that helped

LGD

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Clyde, if I am reading you correctly (please correct me if I am not) you are saying after punching a hole, to modify your carto for the AFS, you are not getting airflow.

if that is the case then one possible problem is that you have moved the "center wrap" off center...

If you look inside your carto.. you will see what looks like a "paper" tube and part of the element... if that is off center it will affect your airflow.... and can be easily fixed by using a toothpick or better yet a pin... to center it, which should align everything for a straight open path to see out the battery connection hole of the carto...

This is just a guess .. since when I normally messed with cartos, during intended usage, this occurred occasionally.

hope that helped

LGD

I will try that as soon as I get back home...(don't think my arsonist is going to show up for her appointment this morning). So, I'd use the pin to move it back on center from the top of the carto, right?

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
I will try that as soon as I get back home...(don't think my arsonist is going to show up for her appointment this morning). So, I'd use the pin to move it back on center from the top of the carto, right?

yes.. ideally if you had a pin long enough.. if you GENTLY wiggle through and get the pin all the way out the end.. it should align just right..... you have to figure the best way to work it.. either top end or through battery connection end...

keep in mind that KR8's (I know for sure) center piece has a metal post that runs a bit into the carto.. so you have to go in just right to get the your pin all the way through...

I really hope this works out for you

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
clyde2801; what cartos are you using ???

The KR808D-1's off of the vapor kings website from Rob.

I've got one to work on the grande, and they've worked before without issue on the v2 (AM) AFS.

And I've still got a leak or seepage on my cartoed grande. Not a bad one or anything, but I 'll notice the moisture on my hand when I'm using it.

I suppose it's the price to be paid for being a pioneer on the cutting edge. I've come to appreciate even more the yeoman work done by vapnaway and emonty in their service to the GG community.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
I am guessing maybe my tip.. wasn't the solution to your problem... I think I saw in another thread that you are using 901 tips.. and one or two (i think imeo was one) suggested that could be the issue... I would agree with that as a great possibility... since the cart might cover the cartomizer opening.. since the breath holes (of the cart) are on the side....

not sure if someone suggested it.. but if you still want to use the cart.. you can shave the end of the 901 cart (with a razor blade ) so it doesn't make direct contact with the filler and cup the cartomizer opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread