Good News Re: Wilton's Clear Butter Flavoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Very glad I got a straight answer, too! I was VERY clear before I decided to carry their products that they were for inhalation and that oils, sugars, artificial colours and diacetyl were definitely out of the question. He didn't need any time to look into it at the time. Possibly, shortly after you asked, he looked into it but never got back to you...

Your post had me worried. I feel much better now.

Thanks!
Jack

Jack--I did not know you even sold it--and yes, I think they may have done a little more research after we contacted them.

Sun

djabsynth

Jun 22, 2009
Savannah, GA
Jack- great to hear that your Wilton's is diacetyl-free. I was waiting to hear back on this.

After our original discussion I've been trying to do some research on various flavorings that are used, and most are coming up with no red flags. While the primary problem with diacetyl (bronchiolitis obliterans - "popcorn worker's lung") comes from factory workers, there has been one case where a consumer contracted it. Apparently, he microwaved and consumed two bags of popcorn per day for over 10 years. Extremely rare circumstances; yes, but eventually we are going to have to take a hard look at possible health effects of long term usage of flavorings.

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
Jack- great to hear that your Wilton's is diacetyl-free. I was waiting to hear back on this.

After our original discussion I've been trying to do some research on various flavorings that are used, and most are coming up with no red flags. While the primary problem with diacetyl (bronchiolitis obliterans - "popcorn worker's lung") comes from factory workers, there has been one case where a consumer contracted it. Apparently, he microwaved and consumed two bags of popcorn per day for over 10 years. Extremely rare circumstances; yes, but eventually we are going to have to take a hard look at possible health effects of long term usage of flavorings.

Hey, if you're gonna dance with the devil...:evil:

Happy Jack

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hi djabsynth!

Just to clarify, I don't carry Wilton's products. I was referring to the Capella flavours that Sun mentioned earlier. They are diacetyl free.

I do agree with you, though. If there is anything I am unsure about when I vape, it is the flavourings. PG and nic, I feel very comfortable with. The flavourings, we could find out down the road that certain ones are pretty bad.

Thankfully, the flavourings are not the main component of our e-liquids and any individual flavouring chemical will probably be a very small quantity in the vapour. Nonetheless, I used to inhale tobacco smoke containing tons of dangerous chemicals and tar. I believe I'm in a better place and my body seems to agree...

All the best and Happy vaping!
Jack

Technocrat

Dec 12, 2008
...I was VERY clear before I decided to carry their products that they were for inhalation and that oils, sugars, artificial colours and diacetyl were definitely out of the question.

I hate to stretch out this thread but I've been doing a lot of research on alternative bases and was wondering why you included sugars in that criteria for your juices?

Diacetyl is obvious.
Lung damage from inhaled oils is a known health hazard.
There's no need for artificial colours in an inhalant (who wants kool aid lung?).

The only reason I can find for sugars is that they are usually big and don't vaporize well, and might tend to break down in heat in unpredictable ways. Also maybe contribute to spoilage (ie. one would have to store the juice in a refrigerator like it was a perishable food).

I've ruled out a lot of sugars but a few have survived my (preliminary) tests:

NAME___MELT(C)/BOIL(C)/TASTE/SMELL
L-Lactic Acid53/122 /acid,sour/ none
Ethyl Lactate___-26/151/?/buttery,coconut
Ethyl Maltol___85/161/?/caramel,cooked fruit
Xylitol___96/216/sweet/?

The sugars i rejected were not dangerous they just decomposed or wouldn't vaporize in heat.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I hate to stretch out this thread but I've been doing a lot of research on alternative bases and was wondering why you included sugars in that criteria for your juices?

Diacetyl is obvious.
Lung damage from inhaled oils is a known health hazard.
There's no need for artificial colours in an inhalant (who wants kool aid lung?).

The only reason I can find for sugars is that they are usually big and don't vaporize well, and might tend to break down in heat in unpredictable ways. Also maybe contribute to spoilage (ie. one would have to store the juice in a refrigerator like it was a perishable food).

I've ruled out a lot of sugars but a few have survived my (preliminary) tests:

L-Lactic Acid53/122 /acid,sour/ none
Xylitol___96/216/sweet/?

The sugars i rejected were not dangerous they just decomposed or wouldn't vaporize in heat.

Tec--no sugar is a function of not ruining your atomizer with carbon residue.

Sun

Happy Jack

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Thanks, Sun! That's what I've read.

I do know that small amounts of Ethyl Maltol are in some e-liquids (Ecopure?) and Nuck uses it in his DIY mix...

I think certain sugars in very small quantities are ok but I'm no expert. I base most of my vaping decisions on the amazing info I glean from the threads here on ECF thanks to the many dedicated vapers here.

Happy Vaping!
Jack

Tec--no sugar is a function of not ruining your atomizer with carbon residue.

Sun

djabsynth

Jun 22, 2009
Savannah, GA
Based on my somewhat limited research, most flavorings are getting the green light. PG, VG, Nicotine, alcohol, ethyl maltol, &c. all seem to be relatively harmless given the concentrations we're working with and most importantly the temperature range. I personally won't be using anything containing diacetyl, but I'm still not 100% certain it's dangerous when vaped at low temperature. Let's not forget that even organically grown whole wheat toast produces carcinogens when exposed to high heat.
Benzopyrene

djabsynth

Jun 22, 2009
Savannah, GA
any thoughts on stevia extract?

actually I've been looking at that.:) so far, it seems a great candidate for flavoring, should present no problems under normal conditions (stevia's glycosides are heat-stable).

In particular, I've been looking at the extract available at health food stores, which is usually a blend of stevia extract, alcohol and water. Recommended dose for beverages is 1-4 drops owing to the extreme sweetness compared to sucrose. I'm already imagining an RY4 based on this.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list;)

BTW, it's been in use in Japan for over 30 years with no apparent problems and both Coca-Cola and Pepsi have stevia-based beverages about to hit the market. Vitamin Water 10 is already using it.

Technocrat

Dec 12, 2008
Sugar clogging atomizers seems very reasonable, especially considering how fragile some attys are. Still just to put things in perspective:

L-Lactic Acid__53/122 /acid,sour/ none
D-Propylene Glycol___-59 /189/none/slightly sweet
L-Propylene Glycol___-59/189/none/slightly sweet

Xylitol___96/216/sweet/?
Nicotine___-79/247/bitter/sharp
Glycerine___18/290/slightly sweet/none

Keep in mind that some of these might interconvert in the presence/absence of water or at different ph levels, to different (but similar) compounds.

---

Stevia and Steviol Glycosides failed my criteria as being too heavy and not having a boiling point below Glycerine (my cut off point), like most sugars. If you try to vape stevia extract have some extra attys around, and if your smoke starts to dwindle, I'd quit and clean the atty while you still can. ;)

---

Lastly if you read my post carefully you might get the idea that Acetoin and Diacetyl are both dangerous to vape. ONLY Diacetyl has been linked to lung damage. In fact, Acetoin is one of the less irritating inhalants at least according to the MSDS. Still there are no long term studies for any of these except for Propylene Glycol.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Just want to thank everyone for their research on the Wiltons butter flavor. It was one of my favorite vapes until someone mentioned the possibility of diacetyl....so I quit it. I had written to Wiltons quite some time ago but without a timely reply, I kind of forgot about it.

Now that I have seen this, I am ready to give it a go again. Can't wait!

Thanks again :thumbs:

Lu

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
Peppermint, cherry, cinammon etc are they safe? Has anyone found out anything yet? Thanks

What brands? Are they oils or water soluble? Some people don't like to use oils because they can damage your atomizer, but others use them and say they have no problems with the atty. I personally don't like the idea of inhaling oil vapor, though I'm probably being over cautious there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread