Status
Not open for further replies.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I finally received my Halo Top Cap by Cap it All Vapes (purchased at Planet of the Vapes) and put it to the test on one of my Igo-Ws last night (henceforth to be called the Igo-Halo), and I must say that this top completely changes the dynamic of what the Igo-W is. The Igo-W is a workhorse in our stable of RDAs, and has been for a while, but we all know the weak point is the top cap. You must drill it out or it's virtually unvapeable.

In comes the Halo Top Cap. It's a replacement top cap that gives the user adjustable air flow and makes your Igo-W useable! It's definitely more expensive than a drill bit and a few minutes with a drill press, but the end product is much nicer with the Halo. I usually drill my top caps out to 1/16". That's great for flavor dripping, but no so much for clouds (which to me is more a novelty than anything else, but it's still enjoyable

This cap works brilliantly. It looks GREAT and provides air for days in its wide open position. In my first foray in to cloud chasing last night (.67Ω dual coil) I was amazed at how much vapor this cap allowed me to produce (though I'm going to have to re-wick the Igo-W in order to get that nasty juice flavor out of it!). I haven't tested it with the air flow holes partially closed yet, but in wide open position, prepare yourself for a flood of air!

Currently it's sitting on top of an hcigar Brass Stingray with the Stingray drip tip and it looks awesome. I'll update this thread with pics later on.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
I also have the Halo top cap on my IGO-W. Now I modified mine a bit by notching one of the sections on the top cap to make it work with a single air hole in addition to the dual. I simply widened one of the openings the width of the opening in the body. You could also drill a hole if you wished.

I'm thinking about getting a second one and having it gold plated to match one of my brass mods.

_sidekick_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I wouldn't say that the stock airholes in the igo make it unvapable, lol. I've got no issues with my 2 igo-w 5's.
Igo-W5s come with much larger airholes stock than the Igo Ws. The standard Igo-Ws have air holes are are about 1/32" or so. There is literally no airflow with them stock. Lol. I liked the halo cap so much that I bought one for both of my IgoWs and I even designed something similar for my spirit RDA. Now that I've experienced dripping with the removable upper part of the top cap, I can't go back. It's sooo much easier to see if your wicks are dry and much easier to drip.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
Igo-W5s come with much larger airholes stock than the Igo Ws. The standard Igo-Ws have air holes are are about 1/32" or so. There is literally no airflow with them stock. Lol. I liked the halo cap so much that I bought one for both of my IgoWs and I even designed something similar for my spirit RDA. Now that I've experienced dripping with the removable upper part of the top cap, I can't go back. It's sooo much easier to see if your wicks are dry and much easier to drip.

How do you like your Spirit RDA? I just received mine yesterday and was suprised at how close to a Igo-W it is. The deck is virtually identical (except the Spirit is larger) and the top cap reminds me of an Igo-L with 2 holes. I had mine drilled out by the vendor to 1/16" as I plan on using this as a flavor RDA. I differentiate dripping types. I mostly drip for flavor with my coils somewhere between .8Ω and 1Ω with 1/16" air flow holes. The flavor is out of this world.

Tinker Ray

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I also have the Halo top cap on my IGO-W. Now I modified mine a bit by notching one of the sections on the top cap to make it work with a single air hole in addition to the dual. I simply widened one of the openings the width of the opening in the body. You could also drill a hole if you wished.

I'm thinking about getting a second one and having it gold plated to match one of my brass mods.

Yup, I did the same thing and use it on an Igo-L. It works great, no matter that I had already drilled the -L top cap

_sidekick_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
How do you like your Spirit RDA? I just received mine yesterday and was suprised at how close to a Igo-W it is. The deck is virtually identical (except the Spirit is larger) and the top cap reminds me of an Igo-L with 2 holes. I had mine drilled out by the vendor to 1/16" as I plan on using this as a flavor RDA. I differentiate dripping types. I mostly drip for flavor with my coils somewhere between .8Ω and 1Ω with 1/16" air flow holes. The flavor is out of this world.
I really like it. It's much easier to build on with the larger deck. The screws don't seem to cur kanthal as easily either, which is nice. I'm just waiting for my custom cap at this point!

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I really like it. It's much easier to build on with the larger deck. The screws don't seem to cur kanthal as easily either, which is nice. I'm just waiting for my custom cap at this point!

Where are you getting this custom cap you speak of? I like the original cap (I like the vapor cloud). I had it drilled out to 1/16" to use as one of my flavor drippers (I distinguish between flavor drippers and cloud makers). I haven't built it yet, but I imagine I will very soon.

_sidekick_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Where are you getting this custom cap you speak of? I like the original cap (I like the vapor cloud). I had it drilled out to 1/16" to use as one of my flavor drippers (I distinguish between flavor drippers and cloud makers). I haven't built it yet, but I imagine I will very soon.
I'm going to have it custom made by a machinist to the design I made.

cynik

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2014
Known Earth
Got two Halo Caps for my Igos and I'm disappointed to say the least. There's no QC whatsoever on these things.

Few issues:

- Came with dents, deep scratches, black spots, and generally just poor machining
- Loose upper section (airflow control) that if I turn it upside down the thing just falls out
- The two are not identical; the drip tip slots are not the same size

For $30 a piece, this is embarrassing quality. I've seen clones with much much better machining. Sure, the loose o-rings can be solved by putting dental floss under them, but I didn't pay a total of $60 ($70 CAD) only to end up ghetto riggin these things.

If your local B&M have them it's worth it to go check them out and see if they have a good batch. Online order? Forget it.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
Got two Halo Caps for my Igos and I'm disappointed to say the least. There's no QC whatsoever on these things.

Few issues:

- Came with dents, deep scratches, black spots, and generally just poor machining
- Loose upper section (airflow control) that if I turn it upside down the thing just falls out
- The two are not identical; the drip tip slots are not the same size

For $30 a piece, this is embarrassing quality. I've seen clones with much much better machining. Sure, the loose o-rings can be solved by putting dental floss under them, but I didn't pay a total of $60 ($70 CAD) only to end up ghetto riggin these things.

If your local B&M have them it's worth it to go check them out and see if they have a good batch. Online order? Forget it.

Not sure how to respond other than I have never seen a Halo that was poorly anything. Mine (and everyone else's I've seen) has impeccable machining and is flawless.

cynik

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2014
Known Earth
Not sure how to respond other than I have never seen a Halo that was poorly anything. Mine (and everyone else's I've seen) has impeccable machining and is flawless.

Well you were lucky. Mine could've been from a bad batch. But QC should've picked up on that. Instead they either didn't check, or they don't care and just sold them anyway. I've seen about 5 of them, and ALL have machining issues.

The store I bought them from even admitted that there were issues with the Halo Caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread