Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Since my previous post on this was deleted because it was "off topic" I figured I would start a new topic.

Is anyone concerned that the stipulations of the AHCA allow Health Insurance companies to charge a 50% tobacco use surcharge to their premiums and that e-cigarettes are considered tobacco products by the insurance companies?

The only option I see is to start vaping 0mg e-juice.

Do you think there any options around this stipulation? Companies are already testing for Nicotine use.

Some people are saying that they will claim they are using NRT. I'm wondering if this has worked for anyone.

I'm really concerned because this tobacco use surcharge is more than I have ever spent on smoking, AND since I am legally bound to carry health insurance, I don't know what I am going to do.

I think it's pretty bogus that I have stopped smoking, I have lowered my health risks, yet the insurance companies are legally allowed to categorize me as a tobacco user because I vape, but for some reason will not penalize me for using "the patch".

Has anyone gone through this. How is your insurance company handling this? How long are they allowing you to be "on NRT"?

I'd like some input on how this is going to work out. I know my company is stating that next enrollment period, that tobacco users will need to pay a surcharge and I'm not sure how this will play out.

Thanks for your stories and experience.

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
I have to take a cotinine test (blood) for my company health care by Dec 31st. I switched to 0mg nic This monday morning. So far, I have been okay. I slipped last night and vaped some 6mg, but only about 5 puffs. I am hoping to make it until next Monday morning, and then go take the test. If I pass, I'll save $150 a month, if I fail, oh well. I'll try to quit 2 weeks out next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread