Help! my coils are burning instantly! ATGiant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkoz

Dec 15, 2014
Hello, I can't post pictures yet but I disassembled my coil to see how bad the burn was and it was totally black, my setup is Aerotank Giant + 1.2 ohm dualcoil + eVic Joyetech 1st gen + ViperVapes 30%VG/70%PG liquid.
I quit smoking a year ago but buy coils and eliquid is impossible here in Mexico, i have to pay for expensive shipping and it takes up to 1 month to get my liquids/coils. What could be burning my coils? I use 3V for the 1.2 ohm but once I put a new coil and let the liquid settle for a few minutes it starts doing weird noises when I vape, it doesn't matter what I do, after the cracking sounds stop i start getting burnt taste and that's when my coil is burnt already.

I'm new to this forum and I apologize to start my first thread like this, asking for help, thanks in advance!

Ps: Ive disassembled the top of my battery and cleaned it (the thing where the tank screws in)
What could it be? The battery? Or tank? Coils? Liquid?

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Hey mate, that sounds like it's frustrating. Im not overly familiar with your tank, but I know the aerotank mega was really prone to flooding. There's some weird stuff where all these reviews got put out quick, then a few weeks later their comments were filled with people asking why they weren't told about all the leaking and flooding. I'm mostly replying as it's an empty thread.

1. Based on what you're saying I'm wondering if if the coil isn't getting flooded, are you seeing any leaking from the air hole? I've seen people with the mega have to use a second grommet from a dead cole flipped upside down on a good coil (the rubber cap that sits down) to stop the leaking and flooding.

2. Do you have any thicker liquids, like a 50/50 blend? I'd be curious if that helps; you said you can't go buy it but thought you might have some around.

3. I don't think you can overfill in a giant, but try not to overtighten things, including the coil. You don't want to crank the coil into the base, you want it just to be finger-tight. Otherwise it can over-compress the seals and bume leaking/flooding.

Out of it, I would take the rubber cap bit from a dead/messed up coil and turn it upside down and add it to a new coil, so you have the upside down one on top of the one that is there normally. If your coil is flooding (and then getting super gunked up as you vape through it) it might help.

Brettanomyces

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2014
Pacific Northwest
If it tastes burnt it sounds more like dry hits not flooding. The crackling is normal but if excessive can indicate slight flooding, if it stops completely you might be flooded or dry. Burnt taste would indicate dry and gurgling would indicate flooding. I'm not familiar with that tank either but that liquid is thin which makes flooding sound plausible, but again it shouldn't taste burnt.

I would think that your wattage is low enough at 7.5 watts but like I said I'm not familiar with that tank. If it's flooding you could try a thicker liquid or increase your voltage, if you're getting dry hits you probably can't lower your voltage so you would have to use a higher ohm coil to lower your wattage.

The black might just be the normal gunk that builds up on coils.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
I'm with you @ burnt sounding like dry-hits, but I'm trying to figure out how their coil is going totally black and I couldn't see how he'd be getting dry hits off the bat at that voltage and 70% PG. But rereading,you're right it's entirely possible that he's interpreting a normal blackening of the wires and it isn't like... a totally blacked out & gunked up coil after a few hits. And the noises he's hearing isn't the tank burning up a flood of liquid, but just normal atomizer noises. In which case, the hell if I know, but hang in there OP. People are just confused and want to help, but aren't sure how to.

punkoz

Dec 15, 2014
Hi punkoz ....I am fairly new here also and can't answer your question ....but I can say welcome to ECF.
Thanks! And welcome you too :)
Hey mate, that sounds like it's frustrating. Im not overly familiar with your tank, but I know the aerotank mega was really prone to flooding. There's some weird stuff where all these reviews got put out quick, then a few weeks later their comments were filled with people asking why they weren't told about all the leaking and flooding. I'm mostly replying as it's an empty thread.

1. Based on what you're saying I'm wondering if if the coil isn't getting flooded, are you seeing any leaking from the air hole? I've seen people with the mega have to use a second grommet from a dead cole flipped upside down on a good coil (the rubber cap that sits down) to stop the leaking and flooding.

2. Do you have any thicker liquids, like a 50/50 blend? I'd be curious if that helps; you said you can't go buy it but thought you might have some around.

3. I don't think you can overfill in a giant, but try not to overtighten things, including the coil. You don't want to crank the coil into the base, you want it just to be finger-tight. Otherwise it can over-compress the seals and bume leaking/flooding.

Out of it, I would take the rubber cap bit from a dead/messed up coil and turn it upside down and add it to a new coil, so you have the upside down one on top of the one that is there normally. If your coil is flooding (and then getting super gunked up as you vape through it) it might help.
I know every coil makes weird sounds when you're vaping but my coil is making really loud sounds once every 4 seconds of holding the button to vape, and I feel it in my tongue, it feels like something hits my tongue when I hear that sound. It isn't the normal sound of a coil because I know how a coil sounds when I'm vaping. I haven't had any issues with flooding at all. My coils are totally black after 2 days of vaping, they last me 2 days /: what could it be?
If it tastes burnt it sounds more like dry hits not flooding. The crackling is normal but if excessive can indicate slight flooding, if it stops completely you might be flooded or dry. Burnt taste would indicate dry and gurgling would indicate flooding. I'm not familiar with that tank either but that liquid is thin which makes flooding sound plausible, but again it shouldn't taste burnt.

I would think that your wattage is low enough at 7.5 watts but like I said I'm not familiar with that tank. If it's flooding you could try a thicker liquid or increase your voltage, if you're getting dry hits you probably can't lower your voltage so you would have to use a higher ohm coil to lower your wattage.

The black might just be the normal gunk that builds up on coils.
I'm not getting dry hits with new coils but after 2 days it burns completely.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
I know every coil makes weird sounds when you're vaping but my coil is making really loud sounds once every 4 seconds of holding the button to vape, and I feel it in my tongue, it feels like something hits my tongue when I hear that sound. It isn't the normal sound of a coil because I know how a coil sounds when I'm vaping. I haven't had any issues with flooding at all. My coils are totally black after 2 days of vaping, they last me 2 days /: what could it be?

Ah, yeah that is spitting! I think we have a handle on what is going on now.

To my understanding, what is happening is you are taking longer draws on a hot coil. You're getting hot spots where the eliquid is getting super hot and spitting up. There can be many reasons for this, like condensation down the tube or if the eliquid was cut with water, etc. But I think as your hot coil vapes away some liquid, your coil isn't completely covered/coated so you're getting hot spots causing it to spit up. Your best bet is probably to get used to when your tank will start spitting and stop the draw right before. Chances are this is happening more the longer you use the coil, or as the eliquid tank goes lower.

I don't think you can lower your voltage, so it's putting out 3.7v at 1.2Ohm? I would:

1. Take shorter draws.
2. Try sucking a bit harder to help keep the coil wet

For it going black, I thought you were saying it was happening immediately as in within 30 seconds to a minute. You didn't say what eliquid you are using, but I am guessing it is a bit dark or sugary. If so, unfortunately those are pretty murderous on coils and 2 days in some cases is decent, especially considering the size of your tank and the Ohms. I think you're going to have to search on how to clean your coils, a few searches on here will give ideas.

*gives the horns*

punkoz

Dec 15, 2014
1. Turn you air flow control Down (tighter draw). This will increase the vacuum inside the tank and cause more juice to be supplied to the coil.
2. Take frequent dry puffs (non-firing). This will draw juice into the coil.
3. Slow smooth draws. The two cigs in a 5 minute break style of vaping will Not work.
I have an aerotank giant and yes, I have all the holes open when I vape
What ebates said. I think he also gives cashback on online purchases.
I do short puffs of like 2-3 seconds and I inhale hard but it sounds like the coil is burning, I do get a big vape and flavor with a new coil, so, I guess the whick is getting wet but the coili is burning it, I'm using 3V (lowest voltage) like I said, this started happening after I disassembled my tank, I had troubles putting the rubber on the bottom, there is a small piece of metal with ruber around it at the bottom of the tank, I think that the rubber isn't covering it properly and the metal is touching other metal parts of the tank and that's causing electric problems and burns my coils. Any ideas? Thanks for all the support! I really appreciate it and I apologize about my English, I live in Mexico so I can't practice it here and I learned 100% of it online (online games and forums) thanks again!

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Don't worry about the English mate. :) Oh, I thought you took apart a coil after it was burning to see what was going on. I just want to be clear so we are on the same page:

1. Are you saying everything was OK, then you took apart a coil to look inside. Then when you put it back together it started burning things?

2. What eliquid are you using, the brand and flavor? And is it dark or light?

3. Would it be possible for you to upload a picture of your burnt coil?

lownote2

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2014
Nixa, Missouri, USA
I'm wondering if you're getting a short somehow. I had that problem with my MVP center pin. The insulator was starting to give out. (since fixed, a bit of a pain and another story) Even though it is a "protected" device and not supposed to fire, I had just put a new coil in my Aerotank and went to take a puff and heard a hiss and pop and then nothing... new coil was fried. Perhaps your tank is causing shorts or your battery. Without a different tank to try on your battery or different battery for your tank it could be a pain. A multi meter could help, but sometimes it's hard to tell if the short is only happening when certain pressure is applied to the center pin or tank. I would think it'd be easier to tell on a tank. If you know any other vapors see if they'd try your tank on their battery and/or let you try theirs. I wouldn't try your tank on a unregulated device though just in case there is a short. Good luck!

punkoz

Dec 15, 2014
Don't worry about the English mate. :) Oh, I thought you took apart a coil after it was burning to see what was going on. I just want to be clear so we are on the same page:

1. Are you saying everything was OK, then you took apart a coil to look inside. Then when you put it back together it started burning things?

2. What eliquid are you using, the brand and flavor? And is it dark or light?

3. Would it be possible for you to upload a picture of your burnt coil?
I'm a new member so, i can't post links or pictures yet :/ and yes i took away my coil from tank and disassembled the tank to clean it and the tank had a small sort of screw at the bottom with rubber around it, i took it off and it seems like the problem started since i did this :/
My liquid ie from Viper Vapes, menthol, 30/70 VG/PG. And it is dark and it turns black as the coil burns. /:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'm a new member so, i can't post links or pictures yet :/ and yes i took away my coil from tank and disassembled the tank to clean it and the tank had a small sort of screw at the bottom with rubber around it, i took it off and it seems like the problem started since i did this :/
My liquid ie from Viper Vapes, menthol, 30/70 VG/PG. And it is dark and it turns black as the coil burns. /:

I guess that explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread