Here’s a weird one…

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have two cars. One sits in a driveway and Isn't driven all that much. It's Cabin Air Filter (CAF) gets somewhat dirty in. Mainly from dust. I takes out the CAF in it and wash it out every Two Years or so.

The other car lives inside a garage. I think it was 5 Years or so before I even looked at the filter. And the only reason I replaced it is it got kinda Mangled when I took it out for the 1st time.

Neither one of these CAFs was wet at all. But I would Always crack the window when I would take hits in the Car.

I think taking the CAF out and washing it is a Good Call to do every so often. Its Not exactly a Game Changer. But I do think the A/C works a little better when I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Letitia

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
When I get my routine service on my Toyota they always tell me the air cabin filter needs to be replaced. I do not opt to do it as I have felt it was a gimmick. Maybe your theory is correct. Please report what you find.
Will do. It’s apparently a hideous job on my car. One option is apparently going through the back of the glove box. If it’s easy on your car you could just order one and do it.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Sometimes my AC smells like the inside of a tobacco barn that's when I know it is time to change the cabin filter. Not that the rich smell of fresh cured tobacco is offensive to me. Also you know the nicotine you are using is really flue cured.
You have 7 feet? A maimed octopus or something?

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Well they would be for me because it one of the least accessible of all vehicles. I don’t relish it but when I have time I’m gonna do it.

They hide them in most vehicles. Mine is behind the glove compartment. It's a PITA. :mad:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    But I'll be dayumed if I'm going to pay them $200 to replace a $12 item.

Cabin Air Filter
    Thanks for reminding me with the Camry. I did it myself last time and didn’t notice anything unusual.

Now, the windows are another thing with the tint and all.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Thanks for reminding me with the Camry. I did it myself last time and didn’t notice anything unusual.

Now, the windows are another thing with the tint and all.

AGREED on the windows.

Toyota's "funny" with the cabin air filters (on my 2nd RAV4 after a Celica GTS). They try to make it like a Mercedes battery or something.

"We'll bury it behind the glovebox so they'll never figure it out. They'll pay us big bucks to change them (laughing to the bank)!"

:sneaky:

• Haha
    Reactions: smacuser

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Here is a Funny Comparison between how Easy it is to replace the CAF in my old Lexus IS300 ...
    Holy wow. That guy with the Lexus. Leaves and nut shells in the CAF? What is he, an animal? :ohmy:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Holy wow. That guy with the Lexus. Leaves in the CAF? What is he, an animal? :ohmy:

My Lexus is parked in a Driveway under a 30' Juniper a lot of the time. So I was expecting the Worst. But it wasn't really too bad. Just that Caked On Road Filth.

By the time I got the one out of the Volvo, my Neck was Throbbing and my Lower Back felt like it had gone 3 Rounds in an Underground MMA match. The only reason I even replaced it was because it got a little Funkalated being Yanked on.

Who designs a Car where they put a CAF under the Floor Mat, Under Plastic Trim, Behind a Fuse Bus and having to Disconnect one of those Dozen Wire White Connectors and needing to Bend the Filter 25 Degrees?

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Who designs a Car where they put a CAF under the Floor Mat, Under Plastic Trim, Behind a Fuse Bus and having to Disconnect one of those Dozen Wire White Connectors and needing to Bend the Filter 25 Degrees?

People who don't want you to do it yourself. Bucking fonkers.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    My Lexus is parked in a Driveway under a 30' Juniper a lot of the time. So I was expecting the Worst. But it wasn't really too bad. Just that Caked On Road Filth.

By the time I got the one out of the Volvo, my Neck was Throbbing and my Lower Back felt like it had gone 3 Rounds in an Underground MMA match. The only reason I even replaced it was because it got a little Funkalated being Yanked on.

There are apparently two known ways to do mine. One involves the glove compartment, one doesn’t. I suspect both are a PITA. Things got like that when 3d CAD became popular. This is common with this sort of thing. It’s why real helvetica is still sold. There was a guy who literally spent his life building that font. Rather than half an afternoon like most modern ones. No surprise it’s better.

• Winner
    Reactions: DPLongo22

Users who are viewing this thread