Holy flavor batman, ekowool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillTheNoise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
Richmond, VA
Got my 1.5 braided ekowool in yesterday and played with it for a while, but I just wrapped a nice coil just now, and WOWWWWW!

Used twisted 28g kanthal with a 2/3 wrap that came out to .4-.5 ohms around two little loops of this ekowool. The flavor is amazing!

Don't know why, but it's much more spot on with flavor production. If you're on the fence about buying some, TAKE THE LEAP! I put in an order for the hollow 3mm stuff this morning so we'll see how that works as well. It is pretty rigid stuff, very easy to wrap some wire around and it doesn't fray anywhere near as much as regular silica!

Found my new wicking material!

KillTheNoise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
Richmond, VA
Well I am back home for a minute, and checked all my posts/emails. Penguin...you are correct, for the 1.5mm ekowool I have.

I get the dry hits way before the rest of the wick (away from the coil) is drained.

TBH, regular silica rope did the same thing, just at a slower pace. However, I'm vaping at over 30 watts...so my situation can't be used to compare the two. It is doing great so far though...if I notice it not producing what I feel it should in vapor I refill it and it's back to new.

I like how the flavor/vapor deminish before you start getting dry hits OVER regular silica honestly...so pick your poison I guess?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
XC-116 is a ceramic rope. Looking at pictures, one might think its about the same. I find it to be substantially different, and better than silica. I haven't tried the ekowool; but from what I've read in the ECF and from my experiences with braiding silica, I'd say its worth a try. It does actually draw the juice up (wick) rather aggressively.

. . . . . but, I digress. :blush:

KillTheNoise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
Richmond, VA
XC-116 is a ceramic rope. Looking at pictures, one might think its about the same. I find it to be substantially different, and better than silica. I haven't tried the ekowool; but from what I've read in the ECF and from my experiences with braiding silica, I'd say its worth a try. It does actually draw the juice up (wick) rather aggressively.

. . . . . but, I digress. :blush:

I will have to try some!

Boeriemore

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
South Africa
Got my 1.5 braided ekowool in yesterday and played with it for a while, but I just wrapped a nice coil just now, and WOWWWWW!

Used twisted 28g kanthal with a 2/3 wrap that came out to .4-.5 ohms around two little loops of this ekowool. The flavor is amazing!

Don't know why, but it's much more spot on with flavor production. If you're on the fence about buying some, TAKE THE LEAP! I put in an order for the hollow 3mm stuff this morning so we'll see how that works as well. It is pretty rigid stuff, very easy to wrap some wire around and it doesn't fray anywhere near as much as regular silica!

Found my new wicking material!

Please let us know how long it works for before it's performance deteriorates.
I find the normal silica wick works fine for a day then deteriorates and after three days still
produces vapor but no throat hits. At this stage the section of wick at the coils are "burnt"

look30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
California
I am worried about the ceramic fibers after reading this :

Fine Mineral Fibers | Technology Transfer Network Air Toxics Web site | US EPA

Ceramic fibers:

A statistically significant increase in lung tumors were seen in rats exposed to ceramic fibers by inhalation. (2)
Two additional studies showed no increased tumor incidence in rats and hamsters exposed to ceramic fibers by inhalation. (2)
EPA has not classified ceramic fibers for carcinogenicity.
IARC has classified ceramic fibers as Group 2B, possible carcinogenic to humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread