Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I always see so many interesting names on here. Just wondering how did you come up with yours? What does it mean or where did it come from? Where did mines come from you might ask...

Well...when I was in college I pledged a sorority. Yes I pledged a sorority. No not the dumb ditsy party type of sorority either. During the pledge process I would always get caught smoking a cigarette no matter where I was. I would be behind the building, in between some bushes, sitting in my car etc...I was never proud of being a smoker & I wanted to make a good impression. Also I never smoked around non smokers. So that's what they started to call me. After getting caught so many times I stopped hiding while I was smoking and just smoked wherever I was. I guess over the years the name just kind of stuck. So that's how chimney came about. I still blow out clouds of smoke like a chimney but its just water vapor now! :vapor:

BTW my real name is Daune...pronounced Dawn.
Please share your story or just the thought process behind your name.

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
I joined this forum and had no intention of being active in it. Why would I be active here? I've joined many forums and never posted a word and don't even read them anymore. Why should ECF be any different for me?

So...I signed up with my initials. Creative, isn't it? lol

And I found I loved this forum and the people I meet here.
They've turned me into a chatty cathy - :laugh:

Happy vaping,
Paula

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I like your story OP.

My name is self explanatory. I like plumes of vapor.
I thought of searching google for smoking car almost as soon as I created this account.
SO, thats how I got my avatar too. :p
I had an account before this one but I don't even remember what the name was and I dont use that e-mail anymore either.
lol.

Leatherneck

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2013
Oregon
Most likely origin of the term Leathernecks stems from the Marines participation in the Barbary Wars. When boarding the ships of hostile pirates, Marines were given added protection against cutlass slashes from the heavy collar. These actions also coincide with when the leather collar started to be worn “to the shores of Tripoli!”

Regardless of its origin, the name has stuck, and it is an accepted term for Marines today. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it simply as a noun meaning “a member of the United States Marine Corps”

I'm a Marine. See above.

gcvt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Las Vegas
I joined this forum and had no intention of being active in it. Why would I be active here? I've joined many forums and never posted a word and don't even read them anymore. Why should ECF be any different for me?

Happy vaping,
Paula

Ha! Mine's my initials too.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Interesting story Daune:) By the way you have a very pretty name and I liked the way it is spelled, very different:) My username is boring, lol just my first name and initial of my last name. I use it everywhere I go as it is easy for people to find me.

Thanks Shelley! It's sometimes a curse lol! I always get called Duane or people just change the spelling to that. As if after 30 years I don't know how to spell my own name. Once I switched OBGYN's and when they got ready to call me back the nurse called me...yes Duane. Imagine that! It was just funny at that point. Always came in handy though when telemarketers would call my house. Hello, can I speak to Duane. Sorry you have the wrong number :p

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012

Happy vaping,
Paula

It's funny I didn't really think I'd be active either. Never really joined any forums before this one but I love the support & positivity of the members here! Guess I'm kinda addicted to ECF too!

MaDeuce

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Auburn, OH
I'm retired from the U.S. Army and my favorite piece of hardware, other than my M249 SAW, was the Browning M2 .50 caliber heavy machine gun (aka the MaDeuce) I had the distinct pleasure to man a HMMWV (Humvee) mounted one during one of my deployments to Iraq. The fact that it was mounted on our gun trucks probably prevented quite a few engagements with the bad guys due to the terror that it instills into our enemy because of it's ability to dispense destruction and death on a wholesale level. It's ability to destroy actually prevented destruction, and my name on ECF pays homage to Mr. Browning and his marvelous piece of hardware.

2007.08.13maduece.jpg

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
I'm retired from the U.S. Army and my favorite piece of hardware, other than my M249 SAW, was the Browning M2 .50 caliber heavy machine gun (aka the MaDeuce) I had the distinct pleasure to man a HMMWV (Humvee) mounted one during one of my deployments to Iraq. The fact that it was mounted on our gun trucks probably prevented quite a few engagements with the bad guys due to the terror that it instills into our enemy because of it's ability to dispense destruction and death on a wholesale level. It's ability to destroy actually prevented destruction, and my name on ECF pays homage to Mr. Browning and his marvelous piece of hardware.

View attachment 183747

Awesome name & great meaning behind it! Thank you for your service to our country!

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread