Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Hybrid connection doesn't really have anything to do with the amp draw on a battery. What you want with a "hybrid" cap is an atomizer that has a center pin that protrudes beyond the 510 threads. You DO NOT want something spring loaded or floating.

However, 0.1 ohm on a fresh battery is 42 amps. To my knowledge, there are no 18650 batteries that can safely handle that amp draw.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Hybrid connection doesn't really have anything to do with the amp draw on a battery. What you want with a "hybrid" cap is an atomizer that has a center pin that protrudes beyond the 510 threads. You DO NOT want something spring loaded or floating.

However, 0.1 ohm on a fresh battery is 42 amps. To my knowledge, there are no 18650 batteries that can safely handle that amp draw.

Amp draw won't matter when it vents right away...

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Amp draw won't matter when it vents right away...
Right, which is why I provided information about the types of atomizers that should/should not be used on a "hybrid" cap. The amp draw is a separate issue, but since the OP mentioned a build that would draw more than any single 18650 battery can handle, we addressed that too.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Right, which is why I provided information about the types of atomizers that should/should not be used on a "hybrid" cap. The amp draw is a separate issue, but since the OP mentioned a build that would draw more than any single 18650 battery can handle, we addressed that too.

For some reason I don't think the B&Ms which have been selling these hybrids aren't selling matching hybrid attys...

Logan Littrell

Jul 7, 2015
Apparently I haven't been very good at researching this issue? What is the lowest ohms that I should be building to on a mech mod that is still safe?

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Apparently I haven't been very good at researching this issue? What is the lowest ohms that I should be building to on a mech mod that is still safe?
You are going to want a safe-chemistry, high-drain battery with a high CDR. How high? I'll quote @tj99959 as this is the practice I follow with regards to amps & headroom.

When considering how low you can build you need to give yourself some headroom. I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20A battery (like the Samsung 25r), that would be 10A. This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a 0.4Ω build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, a 20A battery may only be a 10A battery."
_________

I highly recommend you spend some time with @Baditude & @Mooch (two of our resident battery/safety experts) and visit their blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Here are links to some of Mooch's blogs:
* No matter what is printed on the battery wrapper: There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A!
* Links to all his battery tests to date: List of My Battery Tests | Mooch's Blog
* Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With: Table of 18650 Battery Safety Grades | Mooch's Blog

Baditude's Blog - Table of Contents: The blogs that address battery safety, Ohm's Law, CDR (continuous discharge rating/Amps) and how they all work together are detailed below:

BATTERIES

Battery Basics for Mods - The Ultimate Battery Guide
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
For some reason I don't think the B&Ms which have been selling these hybrids aren't selling matching hybrid attys...
I assume it's not a TRUE hybrid, but a "hybrid top cap" like a SMPL or 4nine mod, where there are 510 threads but the atomizer center pin makes direct contact to the positive end of the battery.

There have been a number of posts where a B&M sells a "hybrid" mod and something like a subtank, which has a spring loaded center pin, and bad things happen.

Ideally you want to stay under the max continuous amp draw of the battery. For the Samsung 25R I believe that is 20amps, which means you want to stay at or above 0.21ohm

ETA: Susan's post above is correct, but also very conservative. It's your safety though so I'll let you decide how safe you want to play it.

I use the mutation x v3 and it has a pretty far protruding pin. should be good for a hybrid?
I think so, but I don't have one so I can't confirm. You want the center pin to stick out like this:
wgrmq.png

Logan Littrell

Jul 7, 2015
You are going to want a safe-chemistry, high-drain battery with a high CDR. How high? I'll quote @tj99959 as this is the practice I follow with regards to amps & headroom.

When considering how low you can build you need to give yourself some headroom. I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20A battery (like the Samsung 25r), that would be 10A. This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a 0.4Ω build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, a 20A battery may only be a 10A battery."
_________

I highly recommend you spend some time with @Baditude & @Mooch (two of our resident battery/safety experts) and visit their blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Here are links to some of Mooch's blogs:
* No matter what is printed on the battery wrapper: There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A!
* Links to all his battery tests to date: List of My Battery Tests | Mooch's Blog
* Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With: Table of 18650 Battery Safety Grades | Mooch's Blog

Baditude's Blog - Table of Contents: The blogs that address battery safety, Ohm's Law, CDR (continuous discharge rating/Amps) and how they all work together are detailed below:

BATTERIES

Battery Basics for Mods - The Ultimate Battery Guide
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics
Hey man this helps a lot. I really appreciate it!

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US

Your batteries should be good down to the point of about .35 to .45ohms, this still gives you some amp headroom. Remember, just because a battery can do a certain level of amps, "DOES NOT" mean you need to go there, always give yourself 50 to 25% headroom for mishaps as well as, hotter you make a battery, you decrease its optimal output, aging it quicker than it normally would, and they age normally, decreasing in Mah and their C rating, so by about 6months down the road the battery has 50% of its effectiveness 1/2 the mah rating and 1/2 the amp C rating. Lowest I would build my atty's on my mechs anymore is 0.25 to 0.3ohms, and I only run Sony VTC4 and LG HB6 in my mechs, 30amp rated, and no matter the label on a battery like Efest and several others print on them, beside the Sony and LG listed, there is no other battery out there that has a CDR amp rating over 30amps. More goes into chucking a cloud beside lower ohms, air flow vortexing, coil config, and most importantly, your lung capacity, so if you are trying to keep up with a buddy with twice your chest size, you'll never keep up with him, he's got twice your lung capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread