I haven't posted in a long, long time but......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gammi

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2010
Indiana
Hi everyone, I haven't posted for quite a while but wanted to let everyone know something that I found out about myself. For over a year now, I had been real sick, at first it was a bad cold that I just couldn't kick then blamed it on allergies but by fall I finally went to the doctor and he said that I had asthma with a touch of pneumonia . He gave me antibiotics and a steroid shot and an emergency inhaler. Things got better for a while and I realized I hadn't been vaping....what a surprise that was. I had prior to this worked my way down to 0 nic and was just enjoying the vaping of all the wonderful favors. I did not start vaping again but the newly diagnosed asthma was getting worse and worse. My doctor suggested that I get further tests to try determine what was going on. I ended up going to a allergy & asthma center and the doctor also tested me for COPD. My test came back a little surprising, or it was to me anyway. I have lots of allergies but the one that really is what we believe is causing me the most problems is my allergy to corn.

I researched this corn allergy situation and oh my goodness.....it is literally in everything, including PG, food flavorings, etc. Even though I had not been vaping anymore I was still getting corn in almost everything I ate or applied to my body.

I loved to vape and I miss those wonderful favors but since I now know that I have to avoid corn it isn't an option for me anymore. :( I will still check back to this site because I really believe in what e-cigs are all about. It got me off of smoking that I had been doing for over 35 years. I have directed many people to this site and the vendors that I did business with.

I just wanted to share this with everyone because maybe, just maybe, the few people that posted about having worse health problems after they started vaping could be in the same boat that I have found myself in. It is NOT that e-cigs are bad, it is just for some of us have allergic reactions to the ingredients. I am lucky because vaping got me off of the cigs, and whether I was vaping or not my corn allergy was going to rear its ugly head and cause me problems. If I had not done the e-cigs I know that I would still be smoking and having a lot worse health issues.

Sorry this is so long but just really wanted to share,

Take care!

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Excellent post!

Thanx for droppin' in and sharing your story.
thumbsup.gif

Wow, no corn...
doh.gif

muppetboy

Jul 10, 2012
South Yorkshire, UK
Great to read that you've isolated the problem and can now move forward! I have to say when I started vaping I was experiencing all sorts of symptoms until I realised it was the effects of giving up analogs. Then I went through a period where I kept feeling extremely nauseous and took a while to realise after researching on the 'net it was in fact "nicotine head" so I cut down on the nicotine strength as well as amount I vape and that feeling has stopped. However, I've noticed a new symptom: over the past two weeks I wake up feeling sick to the extent I can't stomach a cup of tea (or food) at least for an hour. Thought it might just be a bug to start with but the sick feeling would eventually pass and I'd feel ok. Can't put my finger on it as I haven't changed eliquids or vaping gear. Maybe I'm pregnant (according to my wife) lmao.

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Wichita, KS, United States
So sorry to hear of your health problems. We've never met, 'cause I'm still new here, but I can empathize, having food intolerance issues of my own (celiac disease). I know how it feels to be suddenly surrounded by an enemy you never knew existed in places you never dreamed possible. It makes your head spin just trying to figure out how you're going to feed yourself, let alone what kind of cosmetics and soaps and medicines you'll find it in next.

You are your own best advocate, learn to love research, and don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for what you need to protect yourself. Sometimes it will seem that your options are slim, but people will surprise you; both ways, but mostly good ones.

Gammi

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2010
Indiana
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Like I said, I still believe in e-cigs so much to help stop the smoking addiction. I owe so much to the e-cig experience!!!!! The people on this site and all the vendors I did business with are the most wonderful people. In 2009 when I first started researching about e-cigs it was this site that I kept coming back to for information. There is always someone to assist or give support.

Now the really amazing thing for me is the only thing I really miss is the wonderful flavors of vaping....I DO NOT want a cig at all. What a blessing those funny looking things turned out to be for me!!!!

DummyMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
North Carolina
I could deal with any kinda allergy ... except corn. I really feel for Gammi. I love corn. We have corn virtually every night in season. We live in Jersey & between Jersey corn & Jersey tomatoes there isn't anything better in NJ. I often say that I got all winter to be tired of corn. Wow, Gammi, I really, really feel for you.

Gammi

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2010
Indiana
I could deal with any kinda allergy ... except corn. I really feel for Gammi. I love corn. We have corn virtually every night in season. We live in Jersey & between Jersey corn & Jersey tomatoes there isn't anything better in NJ. I often say that I got all winter to be tired of corn. Wow, Gammi, I really, really feel for you.

Yeah, corn is one of my favorites and corn is literally in everything. I so far have adjusted ok but I can feel the urge, the want , the desire, the taste of corn coming on. I plan to keep my emergency inhaler close by just in case I have a complete breakdown.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Welcome back Gammi :)

And thank you for this fantastic post. It has always broken my heart to see folks feeling less well after making the transition to vaping. But this new perspective is valuable and may help others dig deeper...in case allergies are at work. I'm so sorry that you've had to let vaping go, but it's good to know that you have found the issue and can take steps to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Go you! (((Gammi)))

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I DIY in part due to food sensitivities.

I do know that all VG is NOT created equal. IDK about PG. Kinda surprised to hear any corn-stuffis is in PG. Flavorings... a whole different ball game. Complete crap shoot.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad to hear you have zeroed in on the causes and can eliminate them. Wishing you wellness...

Gammi

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2010
Indiana
Welcome back Gammi :)

And thank you for this fantastic post. It has always broken my heart to see folks feeling less well after making the transition to vaping. But this new perspective is valuable and may help others dig deeper...in case allergies are at work. I'm so sorry that you've had to let vaping go, but it's good to know that you have found the issue and can take steps to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Go you! (((Gammi)))
Thank you....yeah, I was real surprised about the corn allergy and finding it is in PG but it was not the vaping that was making me sooooooo sick and out of control asthma attacks......it was a combined allergy from pollens to food,etc. If I vape though it will cause me problems but it is not because there is anything bad with vaping. For most people they would not have this reaction. I know from in the past reading at this site, people are always saying they felt it improved their breathing and their doctors couldn't believe their improvement. I still stand behind that vaping is a wonderful alternative to smoking and I am soooooooo glad that I had made the decision to switch to it. Goodness, it was probably a year and half to two years that I had with vaping and loved every second of it. I know that I would never had quit smoking if I hadnt found this site and read and read and read, and read than decided to give it a try. :).

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
The thing is VG does stand for Vegetable Glycerine. I have to believe that corn is a lot of the vegetables. Maybe PEG-400 but, I don't know of a vendor that sells it.

My understanding is that VG is made from fat. Most of the VG in this country comes from Humco and Humco says it may be use either animal or vegetable fat.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
My understanding is that VG is made from fat. Most of the VG in this country comes from Humco and Humco says it may be use either animal or vegetable fat.

No expert but, my understanding is if it contains animal or petroleum products it's called glycerol. It wouldn't surprise me if Humco made both.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@Gammi
I'd like to move this to the health section as it has some useful information. Would that be OK?

It seems to me that you could probably find acceptable materials for vaping, though it would take some research. For example PG is probably always synthetic (as it has no economic organic sources), and synthetic pharma-grade glycerine can be found (such as Dow's Optim brand). If the allergy is to corn, then presumably synthetic materials would eliminate the issue. Once a problem-free base material is located, hypoallergenic or synthetic flavours could be found that produce no reaction.

However, I appreciate that the issue might be slightly more complex than a simple single-material allergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread