Not open for further replies.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv

Here's an interview I did last week with five pawns president and founder Rodney Jerabek. five pawns makes some unique and finely-crafted e-liquids that use premium ingredients and premium packaging. This, of course, gives it a premium price -- $27.50 for a 30ml bottle. One thing to keep in mind is that Five Pawns has a heavy retail focus and doesn't want to undercut its retail partners. The online price from Five Pawns is the same as what its retail partners charge. With that in mind, $27.50 is pretty reasonable. I've seen mediocre and less-than-mediocre e-liquids cost $25 for 30ml at retail.

Other topics in the interview include the company’s origins, what goes into a Five Pawns e-liquid, the wood-barrel steeped “Reserve” line, and more.

Lots more details in the full text feature here.

Last edited:

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
Good job, RPad!

Thank you, kind sir!

Is it really a good idea to steep liquid in wood? Wood is impossible to sanitize. Hell, people recommend against home brewing in wood casks anymore... and alcohol is it's own sanitizing agent at the aging/steeping stage...

That's a fascinating question. I shall ask him.

Your definition of reasonable and mine vastly differ!

When you quote a sentence out of context, then sure. Look at the sentence before and the sentence after the one you quoted. It's absolutely reasonable in that context.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
Well if you think the juice is worth it then that's fabulous... the average vaper might not think so, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm not trying to be contrarist, I am simply curious.

That is, of course, entirely subjective and I'm sure many people will have many different answers. That's totally understandable. It's like the Johnny Walker Blue analogy used in the video; some people don't care for it or don't see the value in it over Johnny Walker Black.

I'm actually genuinely curious about your barrel question from a nerd standpoint. Does the scorching process make it more sanitary?

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
scorching was used to give smoky flavor to whiskey... that much I know. It may reduce the porousness of the wood but I'm not sure. I know a lot of mead forums (which is what i mostly brew at home) mostly recommend glass or steel for fermentation, rather than a traditional cask. I also know that you should never put wooden jewelry into fresh piercings (like ear gauges) because being porous it's virtually impossible to sterilize and you never know what's hiding in the nooks and crannies.

While e-liquid isn't a friendly environment for microbes (whereas young mead and wine can get "infected" if it's contaminated) I am not sure if I would personally want to mix or steep juice in it. That's just me, though, i sanitize everything before i mix juice.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
The online price from Five Pawns is the same as what its retail partners charge. With that in mind, $27.50 is pretty reasonable. I've seen mediocre and less-than-mediocre e-liquids cost $25 for 30ml at retail.here[/URL].

When you quote a sentence out of context, then sure. Look at the sentence before and the sentence after the one you quoted. It's absolutely reasonable in that context.

Again, your definition of reasonable and mine still vastly differ absolutely, even within context!

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
I love the idea of combining the foodie aspects of sweet, savory, umame, etc. into a juice blend. Whomever wrote the descriptions sure made them sound delish. Heck, if I like the stuff that much, I'll pay for it and vape it like a connoisseur. It's a $27 juice, but it's not like buying Prada! And some of us may "aspire" to be more than the "average vaper" ;)

All of this taken with a grain of salt, I may gag when I try it, who knows!

Discord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
I think the barrel claims are all nonsense. One of the reasons that can work with wine or liquor is because A) Alcohol translates flavor from it's container pretty rapidly. B) they age in those barrels for many months or in some cases years. 1 month in a barrel isn't going to translate flavor into a comparatively viscous fluid like PG or VG.

I like the idea of someone taking the artistry of fine tuning flavors seriously, even if that costs a premium, but I think some of what's being said is hogwash. in that video he frequently mentions how his ingredients are "locally sourced" ... which to me sounds like he's trying to push some buttons with people who prefer to shop local farmers markets, etc... I have no problem with that, but I also don't believe it. Flavor extraction often takes a lot of time, a lot of equipment and a lot of expertise, and I seriously doubt he has a bunch of local options for all those flavor concentrates.

He starts off the interview mentioning he's a branding designer by trade... I suspect there's more of that expertise involved here, than the rest of the hooha

edit: that said... if anyone tries this juice out, I'd love to hear how it is.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
It's not my definition. $25 for 30ml is the average price of juice at retail where I live. What does juice run at your local vape shops?

Considering people buy water at their nearest gas station, anything can be construed as reasonable. That said, these days I am tiring of being a pac-man-consumer--I would like to go back to being the dude that is extremely discerning with purchases and not just gobbling up whatever is put in front of me. (mini-rant over)

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
Yanno i just did the math and you're right.

the difference is my local vape shops are reselling dekang, ECB, and revolution juice. Which is, frankly, insane.

That's the case with the vast majority of shops I've been to. I understand that they have to pay rent, pay staff, etc., but prices for e-liquid of that quality is tough to deal with.

All of this taken with a grain of salt, I may gag when I try it, who knows!

Looking forward to your tasting notes!

edit: that said... if anyone tries this juice out, I'd love to hear how it is.

I tried all five about a month ago and always vape them at one of the local shops. Three of them I love, one I really like, and one isn't for me. They're definitely some of the most complex and distinct juices I've tried -- multi-layered with lots of different flavors blending together nicely. Of course they're not for everyone, but if there's a Five Pawns tasting setup at your local store then I'd rush out to try them.

Considering people buy water at their nearest gas station, anything can be construed as reasonable. That said, these days I am tiring of being a pac-man-consumer--I would like to go back to being the dude that is extremely discerning with purchases and not just gobbling up whatever is put in front of me. (mini-rant over)

But you love DK-Tab. I kid, I kid!

the b&m I go to charges halo 30ml for 22 and flavorz by joe 15ml for 10. no tax included. the most reasonable prices ive seen in any b&m

Ohhh, what store is that? I'm in LA too.

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
Surprised I'll be the first in here to make a reply in terms of purchasing. I ran across this juice at a B&M in Riverside. The only reason I had initially seen it is because one of the co-workers placed a big fancy flyer on the table within my eyesight. I checked it out initially thinking it was the store's menu of juice lines but it was a menu for Five Pawns.

The B&M kept this stuff somewhat hidden out of plain sight and if it wasn't for the flyer, I would have never asked about it.

When I asked to try Bowden's Mate, Absolute Pin and Gambit, I was greeted with the typical carto tank on a eGo. Now, I was there TRYING to sample Jameson's and The Standard lines. To me... Cartos are an extremely horrible way to test a juice and I rarely ever see any B&M allow you to taste test a juice in a RBA (Vape Rev is the only one so far that I have been allowed to taste test in a RBA).

Tried Gambit and Absolute Pin, while they were good, I couldn't justify the taste in the carto, so I passed.

Now Bowden's Mate, I must have gotten lucky with a decent carto and the flavors were absolutely stunning. I have a bunch of other Chocolate Mints with hints of French Vanilla, my current ADV is Pistachio Man from Mr. Good Vape which is a Chocolate Mint Pistachio with French Vanilla and hints of tobacco. Pristine and perfection.

So going back to Bowden's Mate, I was getting this extra creamy and frothy taste that would roll around my palate, this juice was awesome.

This is where things got serious. I asked the worker, can I see the bottle... This is what I was greeted with (and later criticized for, "falling for the glorified toilet paper roll container" at another B&M after).

This packaging wow'd me. I just said damn. However after asking for the price he said, "$27.50" Yeah... I nearly .... myself. That's expensive for me. Really expensive for me. That's damned near a buck a ml. But not only was it the packaging, but the numbered batch, bottle, and low batch count with matching packaging.

This juice is a collector level premium juice... And it really does make me wonder if a juice will last longer than the 1 year shelf life that so many people go by.

With that I said I stood there taste testing this Bowden's Mate in the carto setup I could not stand. Hey, i'm sorry, I vape PLUMES at half an ohm, to make things worse, I swear those were standard resistance cartos on an eGo. But no matter what, I knew this juice had much more potential in an RBA. I had to have it.

The way I look at vaping is exactly what Five Pawns envisions their lineup as. This is a connoisseur's premium juice. This is my 30ml of fine juice that I will throw into a worthy setup for a special occasion. It has the potential as an ADV, but not with my shallow pockets.

Moreover this juice lineup is home based in Irvine, CA. That's Orange County's Beverly Hills. San Diego's La Jolla, Nevada's Lake Tahoe. This stuff is rich.

Is it worth it? Yeah.
Would I have it as an ADV? Hell yes. If I had the pockets for it.

Last edited:

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
I personally just meet rob and rodney today and hands down very professional and also around classy.. they gave me a bottle of the castle long reserve that's not out yet to try. and yea if your a five pawns lover buy it try it you'll end up loving it.

I had some Castle Long Reserve during my visit to Five Pawns HQ. It's pretty excellent. I want some!

How was the launch event in Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread