Joules explained ( I hope so )

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghatikar

Aug 2, 2015
Hi,

Short explanation -

Higher the joules - Hotter the vape

Joules very accurately describes the behavior for a pulsed mode device or for that matter any device with changing power over a length of time Why ?

Grab you fav mod and read below It may be a while and those gey cells might need the boost
WARNING : If you get bored with technical explanations there are nice instagram photos of Mods or models depending on your preference

Long explanation Below - :)

While going through forums and review videos I could not find any reasonable explanation of Yihi Joules mode . except people quoting definitions, book information etc. Some even term it as marketing gimmick

Personally I think using Joules is brilliant for a heating device .
Kind of same as quoting TON or BTU on an Air conditioner . You dont' say my AC is 1.5 KW you say it is 1.5 ton or 18000 BTU . It is capacity to work over a period of time and not instantaneous power and for the same power of electrical units different AC's will produce different cooling BTUs or vice a versa

Now when it comes to electrical mods - as per my understanding

The power in watt is absolute value and has no meaning in temp mode as the mod is changing the power to achieve given temperature setting. When you are setting in joules your are setting amount of power( in watts) into time (number of seconds) . Essentially higher the joules faster the coil heat up. So if you draw heavy then more Jules is required or if you want a warmer vape more Jules. Remember. Temp control sets the upper limit. The lower limit on how much cool or hot the coil will run under vaping is set by Jules. Keeping other factors such as strength of draw, Air holes and wicking

Note that the heat as per joules law is
ULzHhamPKqKI4X5r7cXdRHin4w6o8oQ2XvzMhSIwFsLDQekn9VWb33gL_i1jLG7aw_TNXU6TY1rRHcXIB-qWTResdrYaDI4Q_6CJZBsfb809SvlC67BDfjiVf2e1SK7Ipek=s0-d-e1-ft
or simply using Ohms law
KIPZVOLSqVDhGfyp4iWDsihA8zmKC4UXZMKcNVrI80AXgP-fmbh8nvoi5NU3kWOLkclikX9MsU_jthIEcfOQ9DYXrwcFMoQiDwupMKqr2EvfbM71CKh8cxKz4hG62cBXOuc=s0-d-e1-ft

Since the temperature coefficient of different materials is different the resistance of wire changes depending on the time the button is pressed and how hard you draw. It is also different for different wire materials . Simply put the resistance is changing for the wire over time and for same given amount of watts assuming you are hitting the temperature limit the heat produced will be different over a period of time . as the wattage applied at any given point is not constant .
This becomes more obvious for YiHi chips which use a PWM method to limit power as against DNA which varies output voltage

Now the confusion arises between Watt and Jules because the coefficient of performance is one ( 1) or ( efficiency of conversion between Electrical Joule and thermal Joule is 100 %) for DC circuit
It would have been simpler to explain if there was a efficiency loss between electrical watt and joule based on amount of current . This can be observed in case of heating carried out by AC currents as some of the electrical power is lost in magnetic loss , skin effect etc.
I hope I have not confused the issue more and you may be able to communicate it better to your fellow vapers in simpler terms . I might decide to throw it out there on few other forums to see if the general community can find acceptance.
awaiting your suggestions or criticism

HWb5fTHndMfDsA1-fWcpNV5o31mB90wQrcuoGoJDHwaDnT5fIfGbsSv4EX1IRUHB_hEqYIqOzqZK9TN9xROn_ioBQ41qcCrElFliSClgjB_5n3ZoUjhd0mDBMbJHwXlzX6v-bsYZRRnBB36Muw3jKf-3Aw=s0-d-e1-ft

p.s. I am an practicing electrical Engineer ( consultant in High voltage power transmission since last 15 years) and avid DIY enthusiast . I have a smart home with energy efficient lighting and my own 2kW solar setup making me grid independent ( I am working for last 10 years in Africa where it is not easy to achieve considering I have to mostly import or build my own stuff )

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Watts - power.
Joules - energy.
Power = energy per second.
What else? I do not understand. May be because of some people who put "joules" into description of their mod?
Joules cannot affect how fast coil is heated. You can apply same amount of joules in 1 sec or in 100 seconds, and rate of heating will be very different. It's power that important.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi,

Short explanation -

Higher the joules - Hotter the vape

Joules very accurately describes the behavior for a pulsed mode device or for that matter any device with changing power over a length of time Why ?

Grab you fav mod and read below It may be a while and those gey cells might need the boost
WARNING : If you get bored with technical explanations there are nice instagram photos of Mods or models depending on your preference

Long explanation Below - :)

While going through forums and review videos I could not find any reasonable explanation of Yihi Joules mode . except people quoting definitions, book information etc. Some even term it as marketing gimmick

Personally I think using Joules is brilliant for a heating device .
Kind of same as quoting TON or BTU on an Air conditioner . You dont' say my AC is 1.5 KW you say it is 1.5 ton or 18000 BTU . It is capacity to work over a period of time and not instantaneous power and for the same power of electrical units different AC's will produce different cooling BTUs or vice a versa

Now when it comes to electrical mods - as per my understanding

The power in watt is absolute value and has no meaning in temp mode as the mod is changing the power to achieve given temperature setting. When you are setting in joules your are setting amount of power( in watts) into time (number of seconds) . Essentially higher the joules faster the coil heat up. So if you draw heavy then more Jules is required or if you want a warmer vape more Jules. Remember. Temp control sets the upper limit. The lower limit on how much cool or hot the coil will run under vaping is set by Jules. Keeping other factors such as strength of draw, Air holes and wicking

Note that the heat as per joules law is
ULzHhamPKqKI4X5r7cXdRHin4w6o8oQ2XvzMhSIwFsLDQekn9VWb33gL_i1jLG7aw_TNXU6TY1rRHcXIB-qWTResdrYaDI4Q_6CJZBsfb809SvlC67BDfjiVf2e1SK7Ipek=s0-d-e1-ft
or simply using Ohms law
KIPZVOLSqVDhGfyp4iWDsihA8zmKC4UXZMKcNVrI80AXgP-fmbh8nvoi5NU3kWOLkclikX9MsU_jthIEcfOQ9DYXrwcFMoQiDwupMKqr2EvfbM71CKh8cxKz4hG62cBXOuc=s0-d-e1-ft

Since the temperature coefficient of different materials is different the resistance of wire changes depending on the time the button is pressed and how hard you draw. It is also different for different wire materials . Simply put the resistance is changing for the wire over time and for same given amount of watts assuming you are hitting the temperature limit the heat produced will be different over a period of time . as the wattage applied at any given point is not constant .
This becomes more obvious for YiHi chips which use a PWM method to limit power as against DNA which varies output voltage

Now the confusion arises between Watt and Jules because the coefficient of performance is one ( 1) or ( efficiency of conversion between Electrical Joule and thermal Joule is 100 %) for DC circuit
It would have been simpler to explain if there was a efficiency loss between electrical watt and joule based on amount of current . This can be observed in case of heating carried out by AC currents as some of the electrical power is lost in magnetic loss , skin effect etc.
I hope I have not confused the issue more and you may be able to communicate it better to your fellow vapers in simpler terms . I might decide to throw it out there on few other forums to see if the general community can find acceptance.
awaiting your suggestions or criticism

HWb5fTHndMfDsA1-fWcpNV5o31mB90wQrcuoGoJDHwaDnT5fIfGbsSv4EX1IRUHB_hEqYIqOzqZK9TN9xROn_ioBQ41qcCrElFliSClgjB_5n3ZoUjhd0mDBMbJHwXlzX6v-bsYZRRnBB36Muw3jKf-3Aw=s0-d-e1-ft

p.s. I am an practicing electrical Engineer ( consultant in High voltage power transmission since last 15 years) and avid DIY enthusiast . I have a smart home with energy efficient lighting and my own 2kW solar setup making me grid independent ( I am working for last 10 years in Africa where it is not easy to achieve considering I have to mostly import or build my own stuff )

Simply put the resistance is changing for the wire over time and for same given amount of watts assuming you are hitting the temperature limit the heat produced will be different over a period of time . as the wattage applied at any given point is not constant .

I wish I saw something in there that was simply put.

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Thank you for taking your time for that explanation. I have a ipv4s coming in the mail and I was curious about the term joules myself. I suppose it's time for me to learn some new things. I've not yet experienced the temperature control vaping or the use of nickle or titanium wire. I have only used kanthal wire. That said, this will be a new learning experience that I look foward too. I very much appreciate someone who is willing to help others learn something new. I've done a very small amount of research myself and for those who want a simpler explanation of the joule the dictionary online puts it simple by saying 》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》
the joule is a basic unit of electrical engery.
it's equal to the work completed when one amp of current is passed through the resistance of one ohm for one second..》》》》》》》》》》 hope this helps

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Simple explanation... maybe.
I think the difficulty is Watts and Joules are not the same thing, one is a measure of Power (Watts) and the other is a measure of Power used for some period of time (Energy), in this case using the unit of measure "Joules."
Short version:
Energy used in Joules, 1 Joule = 1 Watt-second. So, a Joule is a Watt-second. One Watt, used for one second. :D Vendors could say "watt-seconds" instead of Joules, but it just sounds really smart to say "Joules." :D

Longer version:
Watts is a unit of Power. Power used for a period of time is the Energy consumed. 1 Watt for a length of time time, say 1 Watt for one hour, is 1 Watt-hour. In fact, your home Energy usage is metered in terms of kiloWatt-hours.
Joules is also a unit of energy, just like Watt-hours. In fact you can convert Jules to kilowatt hours or watt hours, or vice versa.
One kilowatt-hour is 3.6 megajoules

To summarize some other nice formulas:
Energy used in Watt-hours = Power (W) x time (hours).
Energy used in Watt-seconds = Watts x times (seconds).
Energy used in Joules, 1 Joule = 1 Watt-second. So, a Joule is a Watt-second. One Watt, used for one second. :D
Conversion: 1 Watt = 1 Joule per second (1J/sec)

How to convert joules to watts (W)
Joule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Disclaimer: I am but a mere fisherman who only works as an electrical engineer to be able to fish on my days off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread