Juul wicking material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaper12345678

Aug 26, 2018
So this week I figured out how to rewick juul coils so basically I can use a pod as much as I want but the only problem is the wicking material. I use cotton bacon organic cotton to wick everything and it works like a charm on rda’s sqounk atomizers and even the Infinix but when it comes to the JUUL pods it doesn’t work like that. I can’t get the original wick’s flavor and I also get lot bigger clouds which is bad because I need a stealth session. Can anyone tell the wicking material of the original juul pod and where to find it? You can tell the alternative wickin material to wick the juul also

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So this week I figured out how to rewick juul coils so basically I can use a pod as much as I want but the only problem is the wicking material. I use cotton bacon organic cotton to wick everything and it works like a charm on RDA’s sqounk atomizers and even the Infinix but when it comes to the JUUL pods it doesn’t work like that. I can’t get the original wick’s flavor and I also get lot bigger clouds which is bad because I need a stealth session. Can anyone tell the wicking material of the original juul pod and where to find it? You can tell the alternative wickin material to wick the juul also
I don’t KNOW exactly what they use but I have some guesses. There’s a non zero chance it’s silica.

Silica wicks have advantages and disadvantages. Not wicking as well as cotton is one of them.
Silica used to be all anyone used but was abandoned in favor of cotton partially because of a silicosis scare.
If it is silica AND you believe the silicosis stuff a similar material is genesis style wick. It’s a small sheet of really fine stainless steel mesh rolled into a tube and burned several time so it develops a carbon layer which acts as an insulator. It has advantages and disadvantages too, but one of the advantages is ridonkulously long service life.

Vaper12345678

Aug 26, 2018
I don’t KNOW exactly what they use but I have some guesses. There’s a non zero chance it’s silica.

Silica wicks have advantages and disadvantages. Not wicking as well as cotton is one of them.
Silica used to be all anyone used but was abandoned in favor of cotton partially because of a silicosis scare.
If it is silica AND you believe the silicosis stuff a similar material is genesis style wick. It’s a small sheet of really fine stainless steel mesh rolled into a tube and burned several time so it develops a carbon layer which acts as an insulator. It has advantages and disadvantages too, but one of the advantages is ridonkulously long service life.
Are there any health risk vaping or rewicking with them?

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co

I'll second this, I'm fairly certain that the wicks in juul pods are silica. It explains why they don't easily burn even when there's virtually no juice in the wicks. It also explains why the pods wick poorly after a few back to back puffs.

Reactions: Momato

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There was a claim that indicated that messing with silica rope could increase silicosis risk. It was an early claim though and most of those studies were done by BT shills so how true it is is questionable. Might be though. It was strong enough to make everyone switch to cotton. Silica is coming back in pods though so it’s possible it was BS. The issue might be that like asbestos it’s ok as long as you don’t touch it. It was never officially banned. The industry and vapers ran away first. Part of the issue is cotton is just better for a couple reasons. One it just wicks better than silica. The other is that there was more research saying that ecigs creates harmful byproducts, but only at very high heat. (Research was done using ce4 atomizers which used silica wicks) Cotton burns below that level so it effectively acts as a safety fuse.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thinking about it some more, if i wanted to rewick while assuming silica is dangerous, I would wear a paper mask (it’s an inhalation thing) pull ALL the silica out and throw it away. Rewick let’s say with cotton, then to solve the cloud issue I would is pure PG with 10% distilled water as my juice base. This will create a cloud that isn’t any smaller but is almost invisible. It’s the standard formula for “stealth” juice iirc. Could be wrong about that though. Part of me wants to say 18% water but that seems high and would make for a really hot vape. Wicks will not last as long as silica ones.

Also the stealth juice formula assumes unprotonated nic. It’s older than salts and if using salts all bets are automatically off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread