Kanger Subtank Mini spitting/leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Fox

Feb 4, 2016
So I just recently got a evic mini and bought a kanger subtank mini to go on it. Its great, when it's not either spitting or leaking. I bought 5 coils to go with my tank so i don't have to keep buying more but they seem to be a different kind then the one that came with the tank. They are thinner. They are called SSOCC. When they are in the tank leaks. When The coil that came with it is in it spits alot and gets very hot. Im vaping at 35 Watts and have it at 400 degrees and a max VG juice. I don't understand whats wrong with it all the O rings are on and everything. Someone please help me.

Reactions: Susan~S

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @Ryan Fox. Glad to have you here!:)

I believe the original coils that came with the Kanger Subtank Mini were Kanthal coils, only to be used in power/wattage mode.

EDIT: The SSOCC are stainless steel coils. They can be run in either power or TC mode. MORE BELOW IN MY NEXT POST.

Regarding your Joyetech eVic VTC Mini, if you have not upgraded your firmware to version 3.0 (which allows you to use stainless steel coils in temperature control mod) here's the link to download it: Software download - Joyetech.

Read the instructions regarding selecting the TCR and there's a link on "How to Use TCR" which will download a pdf file.

That should get you started. I believe you also need to lock in your resistance (when your coil is cool). Hopefully someone can confirm this as I do not have this mod.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I made an error in my original post.

The Kanger SSOCC coils are also Kanthal (or Nichrome) but the BODY of the coil is stainless steel vs some sort of chrome plated material (as used in the square OCC housing). Power mode only.

More here about these coils: Confused About the New Kanger SSOCC Coils

Last edited:

absoluttalent

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Lombard, IL
one issue I noticed with the SSOCC clapton coils I got, is that they dont screw well into the subtank mini. The wires out the bottom arent as flush as they should be. So it makes it a little tough to get in. Once you pass the first hurdle of getting it seated into the bottom section, putting the tank section is a little tougher to get tight. Almost like the SSOCC's are slightly higher than previous coils or the clear O-ring at the top of the coil is too tight. If possible, and I hate to recommend spending money, but check out the regular OCC coils instead. They have the boxy body instead of cylindrical body of the SSOCC. Still a vertical coil though.

All the spitting and leaking ive experinced with the subtank was due to the tank not being sealed completely. The spitting would be from flooding the coil from above. So that would lead me to believe the chimney is not seated correctly against the coil, and juice is leaking in from above. Flooding and giving spit back, or running clear through to the bottom. If there is no spit, just leaking, then its not seated where the coil meets the base.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
So I just recently got a evic mini and bought a kanger subtank mini to go on it. Its great, when it's not either spitting or leaking. I bought 5 coils to go with my tank so i don't have to keep buying more but they seem to be a different kind then the one that came with the tank. They are thinner. They are called SSOCC. When they are in the tank leaks. When The coil that came with it is in it spits alot and gets very hot. Im vaping at 35 Watts and have it at 400 degrees and a max VG Juice. I don't understand whats wrong with it all the O rings are on and everything. Someone please help me.

The new coil heads are supposed to be 100% backwards compatible.

Are you sure everything is authentic?

I used the original OCC horizontal coils. Never used the new design. I went RTAs long ago.

You probably don't want to go there but there is the option of building on the RBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread