Kanthal gauge help?! Dual coil build at 1 ohm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterZombie

Verified Member
Jan 16, 2015
Ny,Ny
Hellooo again everyone,
Recently got a provape radius with a velocity clone. I have both a 26 and 30 gauge kanthal and I'm trying to run a 1.0 ohm build, I have something running at .88 ohm on a 26 gauge and it takes a hot minute to heat up, on top of that it drains the battery at a 21.6 watt. I run a 30 gauge spread out coil with the same diameter, (3mm) and it runs decent but it's just kind of tiny and not as sturdy as well as more spread out but vapes great at less than 20 watts. Is there a better way without draining the battery so quick and having a 1 ohm dual coil vape, vaping less than 20 watts. The .88 ohm build takes a hot minute to heat up and drains the battery IMMENSELY. Please help a young scrub and guide him in the way of the rda.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Hellooo again everyone,
Recently got a provape radius with a velocity clone. I have both a 26 and 30 gauge kanthal and I'm trying to run a 1.0 ohm build, I have something running at .88 ohm on a 26 gauge and it takes a hot minute to heat up, on top of that it drains the battery at a 21.6 watt. I run a 30 gauge spread out coil with the same diameter, (3mm) and it runs decent but it's just kind of tiny and not as sturdy as well as more spread out but vapes great at less than 20 watts. Is there a better way without draining the battery so quick and having a 1 ohm dual coil vape, vaping less than 20 watts. The .88 ohm build takes a hot minute to heat up and drains the battery IMMENSELY. Please help a young scrub and guide him in the way of the RDA.

Try this on for size.....take two strands of that 30 gauge and using a drill, twist them together tightly. Use that to build a single coil on a 2.5mm bit...5 wraps will put you just over 1 ohm.

edit: single coil....dual coil will put you at about .55, but should still heat up ok at 25 watts or so.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1 to everybody. A single coil build will probably serve you better in that watt range. Dual twisted 30s will be stiffer than spaced slick wire. Also a 30ga contact coil will hold together better than spaced. At 20ish watts, you don't need a ton of wick for juice transport. Try reducing your mandrel size to 2mm, or even 1.5mm. That will give you more wraps and make a stiffer assembly. If you're going to vape that low, 26ga wire is practically useless. It just takes too long to heat up. I wouldn't try anything bigger than 28 for that application, and would be more likely to use 30 or 32, either slick or twists.

Reactions: Leo Bak

MisterZombie

Verified Member
Jan 16, 2015
Ny,Ny
Thanks everyone, I wish to do 26 with a 1 ohm build exactly. I'm trying to not do a micro coil and build with a bigger diameter and 26 is sturdier. I'm trying to avoid microcoils altogether and I can sub ohm with it with a 26 gauge but it takes a hot minute. Battery is a 18650 Samsung brand new that came with the mod. Unless there's a battery with more juice in it. I can only rock a dual coil cause the airflows are dual sadly. Thanks a bunch guys!

MisterZombie

Verified Member
Jan 16, 2015
Ny,Ny
Just a wild thought but have you considered getting a dual-battery mod like the Cuboid?
Yeah I was thinking about a Wismec, but Provari has a warranty and cheap repairs, so I went with it because I abuse my devices or the usb port will fail. Had a few dual battery mods, and failed via charging port. Maybe just bad luck on my end? Not sure
Actually, you can find some velocity single coil builds in youtube.

Personally, I like to experiment with different coil builds.

:vapor:
Will peep the tech, was just curious about a dual coil build, I made a 3mm dual coil with a 30 gauge and it vapes like a champ, probably will gunk up like a champ too though

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Just for battery issues no? Trying to get a good vape that'll last me a day without charging constantly
I forget...are you using a mech or regulated
if regulated, the resistance of you coil actually has little to do with your battery life, it is more about the wattage, if you are running both builds at the same wattage that is. It just happens that many lower ohm builds NEED higher power to perform.

Try that twisted wire build I wrote above, in single coil...you may be surprised

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Hellooo again everyone,
Recently got a provape radius with a velocity clone. I have both a 26 and 30 gauge kanthal and I'm trying to run a 1.0 ohm build, I have something running at .88 ohm on a 26 gauge and it takes a hot minute to heat up, on top of that it drains the battery at a 21.6 watt. I run a 30 gauge spread out coil with the same diameter, (3mm) and it runs decent but it's just kind of tiny and not as sturdy as well as more spread out but vapes great at less than 20 watts. Is there a better way without draining the battery so quick and having a 1 ohm dual coil vape, vaping less than 20 watts. The .88 ohm build takes a hot minute to heat up and drains the battery IMMENSELY. Please help a young scrub and guide him in the way of the RDA.

Reading your other posts. To do what you want with what you've got you either need to reduce the ohms on the 26g dual build or run 28g or twisted 30 as recommended - twisting the 30 will really stiffen it up.

The reason is with 26g at that ohm you have too much mass of wire to heat up. You need to reduce the mass to get faster heat up for the amount of power.

Take the 26 down to. 5 and it will heat faster at the same wattage. Reduce coil size to 2.5mm so you can maintain wraps with less wire. While ohms do matter, when dealing with different gauges the mass has to be taken into account. Heavier wire draws more power to reach the same vaporization Temps. The more of the heavier wire there is to heat the more power is needed. If you have half as much 26g wire to heat it will heat nearly twice as fast at the same wattage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread