Status
Not open for further replies.

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
I've been reading a lot lately, about the Kanger Protank clearomizer. reviews have been generally mixed, so I decided to try it for myself.

I've only seen the Protank offered in a 510 connection, but I've read on the forums that the KR808D connection is available for the Protank as a special order directly from KangerTech. I have not confirmed this availability.

I picked up my first Protank 4 weeks ago at Indy Vapor Shop for $18.95, and later purchased some replacement heads online from IVS for $1.95 each. I purchased a second Protank from Cloud9 E-Cig Store in Escondito, CA two weeks later for the same price.

Generally, clearomizers are not something I enjoy. I tend to find flavors to be a bit muted, and with top coils the heat of the vape is much too hot for my liking. I really dislike the break-in period of a new head, that produces a waxy somewhat burnt taste.

The Protank is a bottom coil clearo, so the temperature of the vape has been good for me. I've only had to replace a head once since I've owned them, and the replacement head had no break-in characteristics.

The factory installed heads, rang out at 2.1ohms, and the replacement head rang out at 2.6ohms, using the Fluke Multimeter. Both within the stated ranges of each head.

The Protank has a very airy draw, that took some getting used to. It's so airy, that at first I thought something was wrong, but alas it's just how the device operates.

I can't definitively quantify how much e-liquid I've used in the Protanks as I've been using them as a secondary method of sampling juices. As just a SWAG, I'd estimate a total 50ml's.

I really like the design and overall appearance of the Protank. I find the chrome finish classy. The integrated drip tip is comfortable and functional, but takes away from the ability to add a personal touch. The glass tank itself is nice, as it will allow the use of juices known to crack and cloud certain plastics.

I was disappointed with the quality of the connections of the Protank. I've used them exclusively on my ProVari's. One of the Protanks sits flush, and the other sits just a bit high (maybe 0.020"). I let a friend of mine try his Protank on a ProVari, and it wouldn't make a connection without really tightening the head down into bottom cap of the tank.

The air flow channels cut into the bottom cap is a nice touch.

The Protank is really easy to fill and maintain. Just unscrew the bottom cap, fill with e-liquid, and screw the cap back on. The atomizer head screws into the bottom cap, very similar to the EVOD. The capacity of the tank is lacking for my use. The most I've been able to fill is 2.6ml's. This is why I've relegated the Protanks to a secondary flavor tasting role.

General performance has been good. The flavor is better than I've experienced with other clearo's, and close to that my favorite cartomizers. Vapor production is also acceptable, and works well for "power puffing".

Overall Grades:
Style - A+
Performance - B+
Price - A
Function - B-
Compatibility - B+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread