Likely safest e-liquid ingredients? (And Hello!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
New Zealand (Middle Earth, lol)
Hello everyone. Ive vaped before for about 3-4 months. It worked well for me giving up, but unfortunately some extra life stressors, threw me off the wagon.

Now I am on a bit of a health kick, going to quit again, and am wondering what the safest e-liquid ingredients are going to be (Obviously no vaping is safer, ciggerettes are far worse, and this involves a bit of speculation, seeing as its not well studied).

Basically I am just trying to _guess_ whats the safest, using the information available.

Of course if this is in the wrong section, Ill keep posting here until I can put it in the right place :p

I am happy for the moment with nicotine itself. Its a stimulant, its toxic, but thankfully not carcinogenic - but I dont plan on vaping regularly forever. This is a means to an end for me. Cant give up the ciggies without a middle step.

As for bases/mediums, weve got glycerol (vg), and Propylene glycol.

Gylcerol is a naturally occuring metabolite of ingested fats. Its ld50 is very high, of course its metabolites are all nontoxic. It is caloric (ie it counts as food energy), and larger than normal amounts of it may have some effects on the body. Its used in food, and occurs naturally in the body. Whats more, theres a metabolic process for it, actually in the lungs.

Propylene glycol is also relatively non-toxic, which has a very high ld50. It does cause sensitivities in some, and one of its very minor metabolites is potentially toxic, although overall its regarded as low toxicity. It is used in medicines, like asthma inhalers.

So based on this, I am _guessing_ "VG" is better. Of course the body only expects so much of the stuff, especially in the lungs, so I am thinking it would be better diluted with distilled water (also to lower the thickness etc) . Does anyone have much experience mixing VG with water for a base?

PG based on what ive read seems generally safe enough, but, its metabolites arent ideal for me i think. And some have sensitivities. No doubt better than cigs!

And then theres flavourings. Id prefer some kinda slightly sweet tobacco type flavour, but really by priority is anything pleasant tasting that is not just GRAS, but has a potentially higher standard of safety. Something earthy, like chocolate, vanilla, coffee etc would be a good starting point. Does anyone know of some good options here?

I may look into using some form of natural food extract or combo thereof, if I cant find a commercial flavouring thats got a very high standard of safety.

Then again, most foods/plants have some form of bioactivity, and regularly ingesting a plant concentrate might not be ideal either. The actual flavouring is the main area that I am still considering.

The temperature the vapourisation occurs at is another factor. I wonder is it high enough for any chemicals involved to break down or oxidise? I guess to some degree this happens when we fry foods, but given the novel substances involved, and the method of consumption, its a consideration still. Does anyone know what temperature the average e-cig vapes at?

I hold even the food I eat these days to a high standard of safety (I avoid processed food and added chemicals, I dont drink, I dont do drugs). I would like to, at least while I am using e-cigs as a stop gap, to be able to able to hold my e-liquid to the same-ish high standard.

Its not that I doubt e-cigs are safer than ciggerettes, that seems very obvious, its just...well call me obsessive!

I found that vermount vapor place here when I browsed around. They use water, glycerine & gras flavours, which seems like a good starting point. But I would love to know more about what flavours seem the safest, and what are used for flavours in these things.

Clearly, some kinda flavour is going to work better for giving up, than none. And possibly even a natural tobacco extract based flavour would be more of a known quantity than something synthetic, even if normally used for food..

Speculative, yes, complex, yes, I know, I know. But id still like to satify my instinct for the most likely healthiest e-liquid I can find/make.

Thanks for any feedback (and for reading), I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Drael

Last edited:

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
IMHO the safest liquid is one that are usually a little higher priced but also aren't made in someones kitchen. there are a few vendors that do have labs for making liquid. dont recall off hand who is now as i have entirely gone to diy for my liquid needs that way i can totally control the final product in terms of % and flavor.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hiya Drael, welcome to another Kiwi. :) Sounds like you want to do some DIY? There's the DIY sub-forum here which may be helpful: DIY E-Liquid

Also a Aus/Kiwi sub-forum if you haven't seen it. One of my Kiwi friends here buys her base supplies from RTS Vapes. Discount code FIRSTORDER and that will take 20% off the cost of the nicotine on the first order. She recommends flavours from Naked Vapour here in NZ as top quality. I'm not a DIYer myself so that's why I'm passing on her recommendations.

Just a few things that may or may not be helpful.

rosegreen

Moved On
Oct 29, 2012
中国
www.ecigarettesalesweb.com
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks Vapoor eyes er , that place looks pretty good :)

I am suprised, I have now maybe found two places which have fairly pure/natural stuff and VG only. Now if only I can work out what the heck a natural flavour actually is chemically speaking (versus say, a plant extract which wouldnt be ideal anyway) -I may be in business to avoid DIYing!

Cheers, helpful :)

"Hiya Drael, welcome to another Kiwi. Sounds like you want to do some DIY?"

Perhaps. If I can find some premade e-liquids that are up to a high standard, I may just try them out for now. Or if not, I may make my own.

"Also a Aus/Kiwi sub-forum if you haven't seen it. One of my Kiwi friends here buys her base supplies from RTS Vapes. Discount code FIRSTORDER and that will take 20% off the cost of the nicotine on the first order. "

That may be helpful if I go the DIY root.

And hey back to ya!

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Interesting enough VG (Glycerin, Glycerine, Glycerol) in testing on rats is shown to be far more dangerous than PG. LC50 (Lethal Concentration, 50% dead in 4 hours) was 570mg/m3 compared to PG's 3,412mg/m3. What this might mean for the health of a human has yet to be tested though. But until some hard study comes about I try to keep my VG percentage on the lower end. As far as flavorings, most anything prepared for high-temperature will work. Natural, organic, or artificial. You do want to watch out for some diketones, which are naturally occurring ingredients, such as the infamous-Diacetyl, Acetyl Propionyl, and Acetoin. Also, Wintergreen should all (natural and artificial) be avoided. I've not contacted any organic liquid makers. Yet, in my DIY I've tried to get a couple organic flavor makers to answer questions about diketone use and have been flat out ignored :/

jonnyr21

Sep 19, 2012
Canada
someone3x7:7618393 said:
Interesting enough VG (Glycerin, Glycerine, Glycerol) in testing on rats is shown to be far more dangerous than PG. LC50 (Lethal Concentration, 50% dead in 4 hours) was 570mg/m3 compared to PG's 3,412mg/m3. What this might mean for the health of a human has yet to be tested though. But until some hard study comes about I try to keep my VG percentage on the lower end. As far as flavorings, most anything prepared for high-temperature will work. Natural, organic, or artificial. You do want to watch out for some diketones, which are naturally occurring ingredients, such as the infamous-Diacetyl, Acetyl Propionyl, and Acetoin. Also, Wintergreen should all (natural and artificial) be avoided. I've not contacted any organic liquid makers. Yet, in my DIY I've tried to get a couple organic flavor makers to answer questions about diketone use and have been flat out ignored :/

Wow! That's interesting that PG may actually be safer than VG. I can't taste much when i get over 30% VG so i look forward to hearing more about this! :)

Croww

Aug 27, 2012
Murphysboro, IL
PG, VG, Ethanol, Water, Nicotine... Those are all well known. It sounds like you want to know the exact molecular compounds of essential oils, extracts, absolutes, and other flavorings. If you want a great resource for knowing exactly what is in certain flavors and whether they are approved food additives, then check out The Perfumers's Apprentice. If you like what they have, you can purchase flavorings there too. It sounds like TPA is just as worried as you are about what's going in your body.

Good luck!

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
"Interesting enough VG (Glycerin, Glycerine, Glycerol) in testing on rats is shown to be far more dangerous than PG. LC50 (Lethal Concentration, 50% dead in 4 hours) was 570mg/m3 compared to PG's 3,412mg/m3."

That seems like it may be a pretty darn high dose in a rat (adjusting for body size both would be thousands of mgs in a human - for four hours straight). Enough of anything will kill you. Being this is a "boxed in vapour" type of scenario, its hard to compare that with taking hits.

Interesting point though, that the body may have more short term tolerance for overdoses on PG than VG. But that is only part of the picture, the other is long term effects on the body. All good information to consider though. I may try various combinations, and see what feels subjectively healthier too.

Cheers.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
"Interesting enough VG (Glycerin, Glycerine, Glycerol) in testing on rats is shown to be far more dangerous than PG. LC50 (Lethal Concentration, 50% dead in 4 hours) was 570mg/m3 compared to PG's 3,412mg/m3."

That seems like it may be a pretty darn high dose in a rat (adjusting for body size both would be thousands of mgs in a human - for four hours straight). Enough of anything will kill you. Being this is a "boxed in vapour" type of scenario, its hard to compare that with taking hits.

Interesting point though, that the body may have more short term tolerance for overdoses on PG than VG. But that is only part of the picture, the other is long term effects on the body. All good information to consider though. I may try various combinations, and see what feels subjectively healthier too.

Cheers.

Exactly. Lethal Dose and Lethal Concentration testing is to give comparison to the concept of health risk. Unfortunately, these tests didn't include dissection to determine the cause of death. So we don't know what killed them. What can kill a rat can potentially cause complications in a human or not affect us at all till much higher concentrations. Its not in the scope of those tests to do so unless inhalation is an intended application. But what we can see clearly is that VG when compared to PG is more dangerous. This is all that testing is designed for. Since ecig is the only industry I know of that uses glycerin for inhalation it will be up to the ecig industry to do further testing on VG. PG on the other hand has been thoroughly tested for inhalation by the medical industry since they use it for such applications. I'm not concerned enough to stop using VG. I don't think it will be that serious. My suspicion is the that it sticks to the lungs for a bit and dries them out. PG is also hygroscopic, but, is not as thick or sticky. But this last bit is just half-cocked conjecture. I only brought this up cause you stated you thought VG was safer than PG.

edit: I'm confusing my threads. More coffee needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread