Looking for a reliable Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
Virginia
I'm back on the hunt for a new mod. I only use regulated high power vv and vw devices, but I have yet to find one that lasts me more than a couple months. Currently in my graveyard... 1 IPV3 li (fire button doesn't work), 1 IPV5 (same fire button issue), 2 Joytech Cuboids ( both have resistance and short circuit issues), a Noisy Cricket 2-25 (no idea, light flashes in either mode with every atty I try. I suspect a wet circuit board again), and 1 Wismec RX2/3 (same short issue). So when I say I'm looking for a reliable Mod, I don't mean something you can kick around or throw off a roof, I mean something that has a fire button that will continue to function for years, and with a SEALED 510 connection so I don't get juice seeping through the connector onto my circuit board and batteries (which I suspect is the issue with the Cuboids and Rx).

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Smoant Battlestar 200. Smoant Charon TC 218. Eleaf Pico Dual 200. Geekvape Aegis. All of these are built like M1A1 Abrams. The last one is crush resistant, waterproof and shockproof.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@Coastal Cowboy ’s list is excellent. The only change I would make is to put the ageis and legend at the top of the list because they’re both waterproof. The ageis is tougher than the legend, full on milspec, but only because the battery door is subject to breakage if it happens to take a big big fall and land exactly on it

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
Virginia
As for waterproofing, the only thing I need to be waterproof is the 510. Which I doubt it would be on any of those boxes. If it has a spring-loaded 510, then the only thing waterproofing is going to do is seal the juice inside the box, killing it even faster. At least now if juice gets inside it eventually drips out the bottom of the box. Maybe I'll just get a squonker and leave the bottle empty so if juice gets in my 510, it has somewhere to go other than onto my circuit board and batteries. Someone needs to figure out how to make a sealed 510 already...
@Coastal Cowboy ’s list is excellent. The only change I would make is to put the ageis and legend at the top of the list because they’re both waterproof. The ageis is tougher than the legend, full on milspec, but only because the battery door is subject to breakage if it happens to take a big big fall and land exactly on it

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
As for waterproofing, the only thing I need to be waterproof is the 510. Which I doubt it would be on any of those boxes. If it has a spring-loaded 510, then the only thing waterproofing is going to do is seal the juice inside the box, killing it even faster. At least now if juice gets inside it eventually drips out the bottom of the box. Maybe I'll just get a squonker and leave the bottle empty so if juice gets in my 510, it has somewhere to go other than onto my circuit board and batteries. Someone needs to figure out how to make a sealed 510 already...
Or use attys that don't seep or leak.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As for waterproofing, the only thing I need to be waterproof is the 510. Which I doubt it would be on any of those boxes. If it has a spring-loaded 510, then the only thing waterproofing is going to do is seal the juice inside the box, killing it even faster.

Lately I've been vaping Pico 75's, RX200's, and a Kbox Mini occasionally when I feel like vaping in a really messy environment (I've put it through hell and it's still going strong ... really p***ing me off honestly :blink:).

They all have sealed 510 connectors as do most reasonably current mods. One Pico and the Kbox got flooded from a leaky tank and had to be disassembled and cleaned out. Both are working just fine again. The problem with these is they leak past the screen and button openings. Djlsb Vapes has done disassembly videos on a lot of mods if you need a tutorial on how to do that. I find them very helpful. Then there are the mech mods I have that are really easy to clean out in case of flooding, but they require way more regular maintenance to keep running smoothly compared to regulated mods.

The Geekvape Aegis has a IPX7 waterproof rating on the whole mod, which means it can withstand full immersion in water up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. That's pretty good :).

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA

I think somebody already figured it out.

Reactions: Ryedan

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
Virginia
I guess that's fair, but at the same time, vaping is an imperfect art, and I'm an imperfect man. Sometimes juice gets where you don't want it. I'm actually rather obsessive about keeping my mods clean and dry, but inevitably I'll unscrew an atty and see a pool of juice down in the 510, and next thing I know the mod dies. I use lots of rda's, mostly in the evenings, but my all day banger is a Reload RTA, which has ZERO leaking issues ( for me at least).

Or use attys that don't seep or leak.

Reactions: Eskie

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
Virginia
Not quite. All of these "sealed" 510 mods use a spring loaded postive pin surrounded by a weak rubber grommet. Every time that pin moves up or down inside that grommet a certain amount of liquid will travel through the grommet with the pin. E liquid is insidious, its so slimy it can get through cracks and seals pretty easily, especially when there's an atty being screwed down on it creating pressure to force juice into the mod. Again, I am not a chronic over-dripper, and I don't use leaky attys. I'm meticulous with my mods. However, I can dry off my 510 screw an atty on, use it for days never once seeing so much as a drop of leaking, and then when I unscrew, there's juice in the 510 again. Maybe it's created from condensation or something, but it's there and it kills mods. Even ones with "sealed" 510s. A 510 can only be spring-loaded OR sealed, not both.

I think somebody already figured it out.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Not quite. All of these "sealed" 510 mods use a spring loaded postive pin surrounded by a weak rubber grommet. Every time that pin moves up or down inside that grommet a certain amount of liquid will travel through the grommet with the pin. E liquid is insidious, its so slimy it can get through cracks and seals pretty easily, especially when there's an atty being screwed down on it creating pressure to force juice into the mod. Again, I am not a chronic over-dripper, and I don't use leaky attys. I'm meticulous with my mods. However, I can dry off my 510 screw an atty on, use it for days never once seeing so much as a drop of leaking, and then when I unscrew, there's juice in the 510 again. Maybe it's created from condensation or something, but it's there and it kills mods. Even ones with "sealed" 510s. A 510 can only be spring-loaded OR sealed, not both.

The aegis is waterproof, I've had mine literally soaking wet with my kf5 on it still works like new in fact I'm using it right now. Actually a 510 can be spring loaded and waterproof, as long as the o-ring makes contact on the shaft it'll be air tight. E-liguid is thicker than water. The well built mods use conformal coating so even if liquid gets on the board it won't short anything out.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I thought that we had this sorted years ago that eliquid was not conductive.
    How did we make it through those years when the af went directly thru the atomizer pin and was usually followed by eliquid and condensation?

I imagine condensation is conductive.

Last edited:

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
    Virginia
    If nothing else it has a definite effect on the board's ability to detect the atty resistance. When I first get a wet board the resistance jumps up significantly (like from .2 to .6). At this point they still fire and work, although you have to adjust the wattage to compensate for the massively off resistance. After about a week of that the board dies completely showing short circuit with every atty. As I mentioned above this has happened to me with my last 5 mods.

I thought that we had this sorted years ago that eliquid was not conductive.
    How did we make it through those years when the af went directly thru the atomizer pin and was usually followed by eliquid and condensation?

I imagine condensation is conductive.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    User errors do happen. After 4+ years of vaping I finally ruined my first mod. About a month ago I dropped it twice on a hardwood floor on the same day. It became disappointed in me and stopped working. Can't blame it. It was my most expensive mod, for $35.
    Now I have three mods in rotation, all bought for $25 or less, so no expensive buttons or fancy 510 connectors. They are 3 years, 1.5 years and 0.5 years old. All are working fine. I do nothing special, I just know a mod will work for me. May be they feel an attitude of their owner?

Reactions: Eskie

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
    Virginia
    Yep. Errors do happen. Litterally just now I was filling my tank and the whole top came off my juice bottle, emptying it's entire contents onto my mod and table. SMH, .... The only regulated mod I ever had that lasted me more than 6 months was my ipv2, which I gave away when I got my ipv3- huge mistake. The ipv2 was a indestructible by comparison. I've already killed to ipv3's. As for the Deus ex Machina thing, I thought you were joking at first, but you came back to it again at the end, making me think you are serious. No I don't think a mod can get mad at you, or feed off of your emotional state. If anything, you might just be noticing a correlation with Murphy's law, which in itself is tinged by perception. Besides, I love my Vapes, so if that WERE the case, I'd think they would last a bit longer.

User errors do happen. After 4+ years of vaping I finally ruined my first mod. About a month ago I dropped it twice on a hardwood floor on the same day. It became disappointed in me and stopped working. Can't blame it. It was my most expensive mod, for $35.
    Now I have three mods in rotation, all bought for $25 or less, so no expensive buttons or fancy 510 connectors. They are 3 years, 1.5 years and 0.5 years old. All are working fine. I do nothing special, I just know a mod will work for me. May be they feel an attitude of their owner?

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2013
    Smoant Battlestar 200. Smoant Charon TC 218. Eleaf Pico Dual 200. Geekvape Aegis. All of these are built like M1A1 Abrams. The last one is crush resistant, waterproof and shockproof.

+1 for the Smoant Charon TC 218, awesome little powehouse of a mod. :thumbs:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread