Looking For my first Variable Voltage, Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodasafa

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Crystal Lake, IL - USA
Ive been using a Kgo for 7 months now and have enjoyed it. However I notice when its fresh off the charger that I get a burning taste. I think this problem could be solved by a VV device.

Looking for suggestions on what a good buy might be. Budget is an issue, but willing to spend a little more for a quality product.

Also as a side topic I have been using Stardust long wicks, they seem to be doing well, but wondering if I am missing out on a new option that might perform better.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Lava tubes and Vamo's can be had in the $50-60 range. I've seen a lot of Buzz Pro's in the classified section anywhere from $60-100, they are supposed to be all but indestructible, but don't have all the fancy features, they just work.
I'd highly suggest you figure out a budget on this, you can spend a LOT on these things, or a little on these things.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Lava tubes and Vamo's can be had in the $50-60 range. I've seen a lot of Buzz Pro's in the classified section anywhere from $60-100, they are supposed to be all but indestructible, but don't have all the fancy features, they just work.
I'd highly suggest you figure out a budget on this, you can spend a LOT on these things, or a little on these things.

The buzz and the Infinity have one huge weakness -- the insides are mainly glued to the body and can detach over time. This is a bigger problem with the Infinity since it does not have a drip well -- juice leaks down the side while you are not looking and enters through the voltage dial and button holes and ends up destroying the glue. I had too many issues with mine so I gave up and bought a VAMO instead of getting the Infinity repaired. The voltage markings on the dial are known to wear off too.

This was my experience. Many people are happy with them.

billo

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Wesley Chapel, FL
I can't believe nobody suggested a Twist for about $22. Isn't 3.3 to 4.8V just fine for almost anything ?

Do these overpriced and much bigger things have magic going on at the same voltage ? Don't think so.

Yes, they're MUCH bigger so the battery life is longer, but the Twist is adequate for most uses. Especially when you can carry TWO for less money and less weight than ONE of the others.

68injunhed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2012
SE Kansas
I can't believe nobody suggested a Twist for about $22. Isn't 3.3 to 4.8V just fine for almost anything ?

Do these overpriced and much bigger things have magic going on at the same voltage ? Don't think so.

Yes, they're MUCH bigger so the battery life is longer, but the Twist is adequate for most uses. Especially when you can carry TWO for less money and less weight than ONE of the others.

There isn't anything wrong with the Twist, but I don't suggest those unless the person is concerned with size. The lack of a replaceable battery is a deal breaker for me. When a Twist goes paperweight, like all batteries eventually do(some faster than others), your only recourse is to buy another unit at $25. With my VV mods, well...18650's are cheap, and last much longer. I don't need to carry extra batteries.

I also like using my mods as my ohm meter when wrapping coils, and keeping tabs on remaining battery life.

Bodasafa

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Crystal Lake, IL - USA
First, thanks for the replies so far.

What price range did you have in mind?

Around $40ish I would say. I probably should have added more info in the OP. It would be nice to get 2 batteries and a charger.

I'm thinking something smaller about a Kgo/Ego size would probably work best since I have a flashlight holder that holds my current KGO for work. Battery needs to last an 8+ hour work day. It needs to be a manual fire (I think most PVs in this area are?). Battery needs to be sealed.

Thanks.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Ive been using a Kgo for 7 months now and have enjoyed it. However I notice when its fresh off the charger that I get a burning taste. I think this problem could be solved by a VV device.

Looking for suggestions on what a good buy might be. Budget is an issue, but willing to spend a little more for a quality product.

Also as a side topic I have been using Stardust long wicks, they seem to be doing well, but wondering if I am missing out on a new option that might perform better.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I first noticed this when I first started vaping. Simply meant that my atty/ carto wasn't Wet enuf for a hotter, fully charged vape. I learned to always tap up my carto/atty at the same time I changed the batt.

But,yeah, get a Twist anyways:)

vsummer1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 3, 2012
    California
    This is a tough one. If I have it right, you want a removable battery (Vamo) rather than a disposable battery (Twist). But size is an issue (Twist) but you want a longer life (Vamo).

So something is going to have to give. For the money, you simply can't beat the Vamo. It is miles ahead of the Twist in that it is regulated in its output so you will never have a change in output even when the battery is low, it is variable wattage so once you figure out what wattage you like you can set it and forget it, hit after hit versus changing the volts as the battery power changes. And if you ever want to get "advanced" the Vamo will be there for you. But, it is much larger than the twist.

I also have a VV box mod, I like it and use it daily along with my others. It fits the pocket in my purse where the tubes won't, and will most likely fit nicely in a breast shirt pocket if you wear something like that.

I think you just have to figure out what is MOST important to you since the price you mentioned will get you any of the three. Is it size and/or shape? Longevity of the unit? Battery run time? Reliable output hit after hit? Disposable unit vs. disposable, replaceable battery? Only then can you make the decision for which will fit you best.

Good luck with your search, I hope you find the one that will fit best.

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas

gil schwartzman

Verified Member
    May 1, 2012
    New York
    Since your using a Kgo now and seem to want something similar, I have to second the notion of an eGo twist. It's the cheapest VV option out there, and it's a good opportunity to see if that's actually what your looking for without spending a ton of money. It will also work out of the box with any other ego threaded items you may have (since you mentioned using a startdust).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    There's nothing wrong with China products in the vaping world, but they have little or no warranty. Most of these are covered for two weeks to a month. After that, they are throwaway devices if they quit working or the threads wear out.

A high end US made PV will come with a warranty and stateside service. You will spend more money, but might get a year warranty with service from the US maker at reasonable prices. Add to that the fact that a $200 US made device is about the same amount you used to spend in two months for cigarettes, less if you smoked a $4 to $6 pack a day for a month.

Last edited:

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 23, 2011
    IRELAND
    The Rider Robust, found at ElectronicStix.Com · Robust Slim VV Mod (Round) is around your price range. Its a decent setup, vv from 3.0-6.0 volts, the company selling it stands by thier products(great customer service) plus it has what you are looking for at your price range(ish).

Wouldn't go for the Robust - it's expensive for what it is, takes small batteries that won't last very long and doesn't regulate well at the end of the battery charge.

The Vamo is what I'd recommend, no documented issues as such and able to accept 18350 or 18650 batteries.
    It has an accurate output that is maintained as the battery drains and is also variable wattage - it's a good low priced device.

POSEIDON

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 25, 2012
    Memphis
    Wouldn't go for the Robust - it's expensive for what it is, takes small batteries that won't last very long and doesn't regulate well at the end of the battery charge.

The Vamo is what I'd recommend, no documented issues as such and able to accept 18350 or 18650 batteries.
    It has an accurate output that is maintained as the battery drains and is also variable wattage - it's a good low priced device.

Not to be dickish but the vamo isnt what he said he was looking for:
    It would be nice to get 2 batteries and a charger.

I'm thinking something smaller about a Kgo/Ego size would probably work best since I have a flashlight holder that holds my current KGO for work. Battery needs to last an 8+ hour work day. It needs to be a manual fire (I think most PVs in this area are?). Battery needs to be sealed.

Thanks.

For what he wants(size wise) and wants to spend the rider robust is about what he is going to get. The vamo is larger than he wants(but better by far) But based off of what he said he wants and wants to spend I recomend the Rider Robust. The ONLY reason Id recomend it is owing to what he wanted. A full kit(2 batterys, charger, variable voltage, 40(ish) bucks) in his price range. Its also his(?) first VV mod the vamo may just be more than he wants comming from a kgo/ego battery. KISS man KISS.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread